Home General Discussion

Hello from Sydney

Apparently our first post is moderated before being public.

Hello dear Admin/Mods! I'm from Sydney, AU.

I am studying at UNSW, currently doing their Games Design Workshop class taught by Malcolm Ryan.

It's very much focused on systems analysis and Games Mechanics. I'm part of the Arts intake (the class accepts students from CompSci and Digital Arts degrees to make sure we get used to each others' approaches).

uh... ok, getting nervous now... I'll just go over there in the corner and look at all the pretty pictures and get a feel for the forum vibe.

-P

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to Polycount, don't be nervous. Sometimes you'll get some tough love, and occasionally there's a jerk or two but generally the advice you get here is golden.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Welcome and enjoy the stay!
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome!
    Melbournian here
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Greetings and Salutations;

Welcome to the Polycount. Here you will find tips tricks and crits required to fine tune your art skills / mechanics. Tea and biscuits are on the table to the left from the Entrance, Pimp & preview, tech and other departments of this domain are on the right.

I hope you enjoy your stay, and dont be nervous.

Looking forward to see your work. :)
  • naturon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy, I'm up the Goldcoast ... you'll enjoy it here :)

How long has UNSW had a game design workshop? Any good?
  • pacchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much thanks for the warm welcomes! tea and bikkies! I'll be here awhile then :D

also how do you to do the spoiler hidden-till-highlit text? let me apprentice with you.

onto the first question I can answer~
    naturon wrote: »
    Howdy, I'm up the Goldcoast ... you'll enjoy it here :)

How long has UNSW had a game design workshop? Any good?

^- Malcolm Ryan is really good, ex Uni-medalist and youngest comp sci lecturer on staff. He's very thorough and blows my mind every single lecture. Tutes consist of constructing board games in groups to a certain design objective, then playing each others games and reflecting on that whole process.

It's a wonderful course if you can get in before the rush, the lecturer obviously spends way too much time analysing anything he plays. I think the course itself has been around 5 ish years? I really have no idea.

I can't praise it enough, but it while the lecturer himself emphasises thoughtful game art that fits what you are trying to do with the game, he admits that he's not an arts teacher and encourages all his students to take Art classes and Writing classes because he can't teach us art or story than the very basics of what to look far when we source it.

uhm... yah... back to the tea and bickies...

-P
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Welcome! Melburnian here. Join us on the Polycount University Skype discussion...
    or just add me: Snacuum
    (for the record I have no idea to make people join it)