Home Unreal Engine

Strange Shadow After Cooking

Jacky
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Jacky polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone.

Found this forum while looking for a solution to this and it looks promising so hopefully one of you can help me out with what's going on.

I've been having this strange issue after cooking my maps - first screenshots are in PIE and the second ones are in gameplay after clean and full recook;

normal.jpgwrong.jpg

normal_2.jpgwrong_2.jpg

As you can see the ground(also the walls in the first picture) doesn't show up properly. At first i thought it was a material related issue but they start to show up after a distance with a weird angle. I tried disabling all the post process effects, removed distance fog, and also tried it on both March and July betas. Moreover my touch triggers don't work either after cooking. All of my files are in the right directory so i can't think of anything else to fix this.

I'm sure it's not a lightmap res. or UV channel issue, so you can ignore these.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Are you on DX11 and if so, do you have MSAA on? I had similar looking problems with MSAA.
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    No, i'm on DX9 FXAA5.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Had lots of strange issues in newer builds with random assets not making it through cooking, and after making any changes at all (even toggling a checkbox twice) that asset makes it through. Was very tiring to have to keep playtesting the game, spotting broken assets, writing them down and then changing *something* on them so they work properly.

Full rebuild and recook did nothing.

Sometimes "fixing" an asset would break another or fix another.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    yup this total black out and other wierd stuff happening ever since i moved to Feb 2012 build.

i dont know what are u using as ground,, let me know so i can share my knowledge on some issues. :)
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    Well it's good to hear that i'm not the only one having this weirdness. :P

In the first map the ground is a plane static mesh imported from 3ds Max. The material is pretty basic; one diffuse and one normal map.
    The second one is the ground box that comes with UDK's templates. I finally used it to see if my meshes were causing the problem, but apparently not.

I also tried another simple scene with BSP's today, but they didnt appear at all.
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    Ok, i went back to January release and everything works and looks perfect now. Hope they fix this issue in the upcoming beta, whenever it may be.
    Thanks guys!
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for updating the thread so we know what the cause/solution was :)