Home General Discussion

WildStar

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    iniside wrote: »
    Don't like it. Looks like any other wow-wannabe mmo that failed in post wow era.
    Nothing new has been shown. The same boring sticky combat system, "!" over quest givers (really ? I thought we are beyond this...), and PvE focus. In other words it wil fail hard.

I can understand why people would be apprehensive about it - its difficult to completely steer away from WoW given the amount of success the title has had. Its not the same combat system - if you look at some of the gameplay videos you can see its not just walking up to an enemy and hitting auto attack, you have to move around and from what I can tell, dodging or evading attacks earns you certain rewards or bonuses.

I'm glad there's a PvE focus and there will be the Holy Trinity system - usually play healer and its nice to feel like you have a role, at least for me anyway. Also, saying it will fail hard is quite a sweeping statement - given the amount of hype and anticipation for the game.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I think it looks quite impressive, actually. Very fresh and welcomed art style, polished animations, witty/quirky writing, seemingly interesting overarching story, etc. It all seems very promising.

A PvE focus has huge appeal, to me. I prefer well crafted/scripted boss encounters while diving through dungeons with friends to min/maxing everything I can for PvP. PvP communities also tend to be the most annoyingly vocal folk.

I certainly don't think it's going to *herp derp* "fail hard". I would like to see more on it, though. New information seems few and far. Still stoked!
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Torch wrote: »
    Also, saying it will fail hard is quite a sweeping statement - given the amount of hype and anticipation for the game.
    That's the point. Ever MMO game I remember had hype and anticipation. The bigger the harder it failed.
    TORTanic is best recent example. Gods, they even copied skills from WoW...

AoC is also very good example, how you will end up if you fallow leader in this genere.

Only exception was Guild Wars 2. And that's soelely because they basically throwed out of window every classical EQ1/2/WoW style element.

People excpeted something diffrent from GW2 and they got it and loved it. Other part expected something diffrent from GW2 but similiar to WoW and they hated it. Well, you never can please everyone ;p.

The point about PvE is... There is bazylion PvE games. If you didn't found out the one you like, you will not find it in future. They all are the same. And that's because of inhenert limitations of MMO genere and lack of desire to push those limitations. There is no real AI in MMO. There is no real manual skill involved (imagine MMO with Dark Souls combat system), lack of imrpovment in those areas results in clone wars in genere.
    Best PvE of recent years (RIFT) is just fail down. Why ? Because they took WoW route. The Bad Route (every MMO designer should talk about it as mantra, you can't copy WoW, don't try). In the essence RIFT just haven't really played it strenghts and focused on wrong priorities. It had huge potential and ended up into standard "new instanced raid every 2 months". Yeah we seen that before. If I want something like this I can just play WoW...
    I can now compare it to GW2. They are going to their strenghts. Instead of developing more instances (which weren't good and wasn't really advertised as main content" they are pushing events and open world content. It's something new. Well at least in past 10 years. More accurate would be to say they are going back to what was good before WoW era.
    RIFT had the whole dynamic content as well. But it was pretty much scraped and worthless. And there was so much potential.

tl:dr; version
    No innvation in this genere resulst in clone games that there is no real diffrence between them. The only real chance is to stop hiding you head in ground and try to be innovative and take risks.

If I want to play the same game over and over game I will just stick the to one that came out first. Sad true, but I invested to many time into it.
    And if I'm new player and want something like this I will just play the game with most players.

I'm skeptical. I've been playing MMO to long to have any hype. Oh Camelot Unchained looks promising.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    This is looking great actually. Though, the housing system looks... good, but bad. As an avid EQ2 player, where the housing system is so open and free as in you can place whatever you want anywhere in the level, I hate seeing grid systems (specific spots you need to place things). But I love the idea of clearing your land and such. I just hope the actual building of your house is very detailed. But, it does look like its just a single blueprint per house.

I love how everyone compares it to WoW though. Wow copied a lot of things from Everquest. Just because WoW is the most successful because of marketting and well, fan boys of blizzard, really, doesnt mean its the best mmo out there. I admit, I use to raid in WoW very very hardcore. Top raid guild on my server. But, then I tried other mmos, and I can honestly say Others are better. EQ2 has so much depth. EQNext will probably destroy WoW as well. But I think thats a different topic all together.

However, whether this will be a huge fail or not.... That depends on your definition of successful. An mmo doesnt need 10 million users to be successful. There are plenty of mmos out there htat are still going strong, with constant updates. Fail or Success, it really comes down to how greedy the company is.
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    I had totally missed this but the animation is freaking fantastic! Totally hitting hollywood animation studio levels of character and polish, and these are on the low-poly meshes? Great direction and writing too. Is there that level of acting and facial animation in-game?

Love the art style, perfect texture feel, great colours! Argh! I cannot wait for an art dump!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Is there that level of acting and facial animation in-game?

Love the art style, perfect texture feel, great colours! Argh! I cannot wait for an art dump!

Likewise, I'm sure they'll be releasing an artbook for the game too :) I doubt there will be that level of facial animation in-game, more likely just saved for the cutscenes.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, you may love or hate Totalbiscuit but there is a pretty neat video of him talking with one of the devs at the Pax East booth.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeUbXJZPkd0"]Wildstar preview - AAA Sci-fi MMO - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Daym, cool vid! Want :D
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Just watched that pax interview with totalbiscuit... This game is actually looking really good.. Ill definitely be trying it out.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    It kills me because it looks really good but since I already play WoW it's hard for me to jump into other MMOs as I usually end up going back. I really am interested by the different play styles and combat though so we'll see. I may end up giving it a try as the style just looks so good. At the very least it really has my interest.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Praetus, Im the same way with EQ2. I love it so much, and i try every new mmo that comes out, but always end up back on eq2 within a month or two. Dont even get to end game on the new ones most the time cause it just doesnt have enough different, or just enough to keep me. I use to play WoW, but once I tried eq, I couldnt play wow anymore. But, I do like this style of combat more. Doesnt look like there's that many hotkeys. would be cool if it was playable with an xbox controller. lol

I still need to see more on the skill system, customization of characters in game (not visual, but skills and talents and what not), and how loot is handled. That video had a few people beating on 1 enemy , but werent in group. I wonder if they get their own loot or what?

Still would love to see an mmo with RNG stats on items, like Diablo. It would have to be a well thought out system though. But, thats one thing that bothers me about mmos. Everyone ends up witht eh same loot, with really no choice.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Cheers for the vid Praetus. I also watched the second part of that demo and I gotta say I may roll an explorer for my first play through. I see these coming month being quite insufferable waiting for info and release.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I want to play, naow! :) pretty plz. :poly124:

Nice video thanks for sharing that I've been keeping tabs on this one.:thumbup:
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    New dev vid out for anyone interested:

http://youtu.be/-qo5nrkYYI0

Also news of an upcoming weekend stress test, come awwwwwn babeh XO
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    "Player paths" is a cool idea, more content aimed towards what path you chose. If you like combat, you do more combat quests. If you like exploring, you have more exploring quests. I definitely wanna try it out.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an interesting thought.... you have multiple ways to pay for your phone. You can either a flat amount per month, or you can pay on useage.

If you want to play an MMO, but don't want to shell out $16 a month for a subscription... why don't they have a payment plan where you pay $.50 per day you actually log on?

Then it kind of works out to $15 a month if you played every day, but you only have to pay for each day you play.

I can't justify spending $16/mo on a game I can only play 10 days a month, but I could justify spending $5 that way.
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    These videos are hilarious!Where is my beta key?!?! :)
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    The more i hear about wildstar the more i like it, love the art/animation style and the humor. Cmon beta key
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Here's an interesting thought.... you have multiple ways to pay for your phone. You can either a flat amount per month, or you can pay on useage.

If you want to play an MMO, but don't want to shell out $16 a month for a subscription... why don't they have a payment plan where you pay $.50 per day you actually log on?

Then it kind of works out to $15 a month if you played every day, but you only have to pay for each day you play.

I can't justify spending $16/mo on a game I can only play 10 days a month, but I could justify spending $5 that way.

I'm fairly certain that APB tried something like this when it came out in that you could pay for hours vs monthly but it was really disproportionate and it used a "points system" instead of actual cash. The thing is I highly doubt it would be a one for one ratio like you said and something more like "pay $10 for 20 hours of game time or $15 for unlimited 30 day access."

On the topic though, manI really wish I had a beta key for this. Looks amazing.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    There are better games than this one, better graphics and all, and they are F2P.

edit: most of them are appearing on steam :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    everyone take a drink!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Blaizer wrote: »
    There better games than this one, better graphics and all, and they are F2P.

For example? Graphics aren't everything, its all down to personal preference. I played Crysis 3 recently, thought the game looked incredible but didn't play more than a few levels as I had played my fair share of FPS's at the time.

Spoke with a friend a while back about WoW's art style, which he claimed looked gash and outdated, although what people forget is it takes a hell of a lot of skill to be able to paint that well and model under tight constraints.

Anyway there's a lot of anticipation for this title, will be surprised if its not a success :)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Torch wrote: »
    Anyway there's a lot of anticipation for this title, will be surprised if its not a success :)

I really do hope it does well. I think the art looks fantastic and actually has character. For me I think it will come down to payment style for the game though. I've put so much time into WoW it is hard for me to step away and start over after 6-7 years of playing and paying for two MMOs a month just isn't going to happen. We'll see though. This is the first time in a while that an MMO has actually gotten my attention.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    graphics may be the pinnacle of every game, but we all know... they are not everything, that's obvious. The mix of all, graphics+music+gameplay+etc is what i was talking about. I usually install almost all the mmos (various per month hehe), just to see them, and later... i uninstall all.

I play diablo 3 and its graphics are not something great... very outdated for me, but i enjoy the game with its sick gambling. We can play better games such as Tera or Aion for free, without paying a cent. If you look over mmoculture, onrpg, etc. you will find great titles. I only pointed to just 2 games, there are too many.

The mmo market is totally supersaturated, and i think this title is quite generic. Firefall was a total fiasco. I see another game with fields filled of mobs, so more of the same ("so you are bored? here you have, kill potatos in this alien field!").
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    man every time I see a new video I fall in love with this game even more! That art style is so awesome too. I'd love to make something in that style.

Blaizer... I'm wondering how you are passing judgement on a game that isn't out yet. How do you know if it's good or not?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    There are better games than this one, better graphics and all, and they are F2P.

edit: most of them are appearing on steam :D

How can you say there are better games when you haven't even played it... and it's not even available yet...?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    How can you say there are better games when you haven't even played it... and it's not even available yet...?

Because i have seen gameplay videos. Easy.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer not liking your game is a badge of honor
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Blaizer not liking your game is a badge of honor

to like or not to like, that's the question. haha

I don't know which is my game :S
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Oh Blaizer, you're so unswervingly contrary!

I think this is looking rad. Art style and animation is fantastic and the fun, toonish tone of the game is much appreciated. Looking forward to the art dump when it's released!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Agreed. Blaizer, each time that I read one of your comments, I just go "rolling eyes". I'm not sure if you understand that you are slowly building yourself one of the worst reputation I've ever seen on this forum... Way to build a professional network, man!

I'm so exited about this game. The art is awesome, the animation style is spot on and the gameplay looks like a tons of fun. Can't wait, really.
  • dazzlinggamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed. Blaizer, each time that I read one of your comments, I just go "rolling eyes". I'm not sure if you understand that you are slowly building yourself one of the worst reputation I've ever seen on this forum... Way to build a professional network, man!

I'm so exited about this game. The art is awesome, the animation style is spot on and the gameplay looks like a tons of fun. Can't wait, really.

Oh, please. Like anyone on this forum actually knows what being professional means. Yeah......right. :poly142:
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12

Well honestly, it has been far too long, check out our most recent vids online.

Renaud and Nick, you two are very kind to say such words about WildStar. We are pumped to give it to everyone, and to read those comments from everyone is empowering. FEED MY NEED TO BE BETTER :)

Blaizer: Here is the thing though, you are valid in your opinion, and that is totally fine. We had tons of people coming up to our booth at PAX East saying..."SHIT LOOKS LIKE WOW! lolz!".

I did not force them to try it, nor did I try to convince them otherwise, but then they tried it, and signed up for the beta with their friends and flipped out with us for hours about how this game will be on their computer day one. The game is different, and will change how you feel about MMO's if you are a fan. If you are not, no worries man, and we appreciate your consideration. I think your artwork is great, and have been a fan for a long time now. We all have opinions, but I wish I could have you come by the studio to change yours :)
  • POFFINGTON
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator

Renaud, you are taking things out of proportions. Man, you should read well what others have said before putting a cry on the sky.

And i don't get you, bad reputation because i said the game can't compete against other f2p games? are you serious?. i'm o.O with your comment, it's a nonsense.

Before of all, i'm a gamer, and if i say the game looks pretty generic, take that as a grain of salt, give or take. As artists we must be humble and accept all the critics, good or bad.

And sorry if i'm not an hypocrite (nick, pardon me for not preaching your religion). Worst reputation have other users with a false facade. believe me.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Excessively hyped for this. Been trying out some of the newer mmos that have been coming out in the later years (from AoC to Neverwinter) and WoW is still the game that keeps me sated because of it's pleasant visuals, focus on lore and tight mechanics. Though it is getting repetitive and I find myself mostly playing it to stick with friends and have some raids and the like.

So I have a couple of questions:
    1.)Is this an instance based game or is this entire world seamlessly explorable like WoW?
    2.) I signed up for the beta, but it is still not in my hands despite various sacrificial rites. (when is it expected to head into beta? Closed or open.)
    3.) Any info on payment method yet? F2P with P2W or sub based? maybe ala APB?

Anyway the game looks awesome, gorgeous animations, designs and use of colour, hope I can get to try it out and that it's as good as it looks :)
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Skamberin:

Hey dude, we are going to be rolling out a lot of content/info here soon. Keep your eyes peeled.

1.) You can run from zone to zone, open world style. We will have some instanced stuff, but overall it is open to roam. Things like housing will be instanced, but you will be able to make your housing plot open, or private depending on your preference. Housing is dope btw, I would suggest checking out the vid Poff posted.

2.)We will be sending out a lot of beta keys here soon, so keep an eye out for that. Also we had some issues with the beta key going in peoples spam, so take a look there too. They tried to resend them to the people who didn't redeem their key, so it should be there soon.

3.) We are currently looking into different options, but we are pretty sure we have something that people will like. Keep an eye on our vids we release ;)

Thanks again, this is the most I have posted on PC in a while. We plan on doing some art dumps, so keep an eye out :)
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you for answering, guess I'll be spending the next hour checking out more vids and info :)
    Fantastic that you have a completely open world, seems so few new mmos do that.
    And yes the housing looks absolutely awesome, hope I get a chance to test it all out before converting friends and guildies :P

Good luck further guys!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Spug wrote: »

We plan on doing some art dumps, so keep an eye out

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. Man, am I looking forward to that. The more I see of this game the more excited I am getting for it.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Sweet, looking forward to those! I guess it goes without saying but an Art of Wildstar book later on wouldn't go amiss... :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Spug wrote: »
    1.) You can run from zone to zone, open world style. We will have some instanced stuff, but overall it is open to roam. Things like housing will be instanced, but you will be able to make your housing plot open, or private depending on your preference. Housing is dope btw, I would suggest checking out the vid Poff posted.

Jumping in here:

So if someone is in the same zone as you in the same server you'll see him?, it doesn't instanciate depending on zone-population like guild wars 2 does?

I'm always sceptical about new mmo's these days but the artwork/animation/world won me over day one in this game, so all that remains is that the gameplay keeps me in there when the open beta starts :P
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game looks awesome! Man, I wish Polycount would do an interview with you guys already. :poly128:
  • DanConroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    What's the date for, start of the next Beta phase? Unless they plan to release the game on Wednesday :D
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    They have talked about stess test(tons of beta invites) or yup maybe the next beta phase.Agggrhhr release the damn thing already. :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ohhhhh baybeh :O
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    My body is so ready for this game. I've been cleaning out my backlog of games in preparation. Beat 5 in one week!
  • cdavidson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    looks good. love the art style and like the humor in the vids heh

Think i registered for a beta key a long time ago but never did get an invite but i will be sure to try it out whenever i get the chance.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Beta keys are coming, I know all of you who entered are going to get a chance. We want to make sure we can have the best Beta exp out there, so we will inform ya'll soon.

We def don't want half a million people trying to get in and not being able to connect, if you want a key, let me know, and message me too.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds great...really looking forward to this one....message sent...:)