Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Magnum Rifle [WIP]

Heyo everyone!
I have been lurking for quite some time in here and I figured it's time for me to start posting some of my stuff and get some feedback.

Here is a rifle I've been working on, the high poly is almost done but I thought that someone else's opinion never hurt.

The concept (top rifle) done my innerabove;
tools_of_the_trade_by_innerabove-d1rg3np.jpg

My WIP
K9bS5.png
cQeKR.png
IHITY.png

My main concern is about some of the proportions since the concept is from the side only.

Constructive criticism is most welcome!

Replies

• Pundt
    Im not sure if im missing something, but how does that gun shoot? The chamber isnt reaching the top barrel so the bullets have nowhere to go but into the center.
    taurus_revolver_9.jpg

I think the actual barrel of the gun is in the middle and the top portion is just a guide like
    mateba357magaimace.jpg

I would also like to see the size of the holes in the chamber made a bit larger, the bullets firing from this gun seem like they should be massive.

Other than that it looks pretty good, matches up with the reference pretty well.
  • Shanthosa
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    This gun concept confuses me. Why is there also what appears to be a magazine attached? Maybe the revolver chamber is there to confuse your enemies into not knowing how the gun works. Turns out it just fires saw blades that unfold in the air.

Confusion on the mechanics aside, the model is coming out great.

You seem to have a little artifact at the end of the bottom "barrel"

C8mkk.jpg
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    the design is definitely strange for the above mentioned reasons, i would recommend changing those even if it means straying from the concept

another confusing thing is that there are slide grooves on the element right above the cylinder even though that is not seemingly a slide and would have no reason to be grabbed - but i'm pretty sure thats because the concept artist was mashing up guns and that part was a 1911 or something. that one's not really a "problem" though and you could probably just leave it

your modeling looks mostly clean but i highly recommend you make all of the edges chunkier. right now they're very tight which will make for thin highlights that will alias from a distance. my good friend racist445 has made some posts about that here and here for more info. for similar reasons, many of the bolts could be larger, and this part is much too high frequency:

PxWNL.png

try just less grooves of an individually larger size, it will bake so much better

aesthetically the trigger guard could have a way more interesting silhouette, the trigger itself isnt how most gun triggers look (feels more like a squirtgun trigger), and imo the stock and trigger group feel very small compared to the length and height of the rifle and also the comparatively massive size of the cylinder
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    AHH is right: from what I've learned you should zoom out to the actual shot the gun will be viewed from then check your details there...if you can't see it from the actual size of the on screen pixel resolution then most likely it's not going to show up on the low poly.
    On a side note, :P if this is going to be on your site you should crop out the other guns from the concept...given the other guns someone is going to go "darn I was hoping he would've modeled this one instead of this one"...maybe it's just me??? :P
  • Navrian
    Thanks you all for the feedback! I'm currently working on the gun to make it for ''believable'' but I'm also trying to stay pretty close to the concept. I'll also work to make the edges chunkier as mentioned.

I'll be back some time in the future with the retopo!
  • fanaya2001
    Offline / Send Message
    fanaya2001 polycounter lvl 8
    awesome, can't wait to see it more finished :D