Home General Discussion

As a game artist where do your interests lie?

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Autocon - great points! This is why I've tried to push a strong distinction between what we call 'Contests' and what we call 'Challenges'. Contests, to me, require much more of a commitment and can include things like full environments/scenes and/or robust characters. Challenges are more specific or focused events, like 'make a hammer themed weapon'. Something that would require less time and commitment from those entering while being a rather specific task to tackle and challenge yourself with. The TF2 contest, if we did it without Valve, would have been a 'Challenge'. "Make a weapon for TF2". Because we had upped the anti (full set, themed in TF2, all a consistent theme per submission, etc.) we turned it in to a Contest so that people knew it was 'serious business'.

Side note: The only reason we haven't had a contest OR a challenge lately is because we're working out a rather large contest for you guys that should be fairly fun for multiple artist types (read: not everyone, but certainly more than 1 type of artist will enjoy it). I didn't want to have us launch a 4 week challenge and all of a sudden the contest is ready to go in the middle of that.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    You could add an "open to interpretation" part to the brief. This would allow any and all artists to take part. ;P

I always enjoy briefs that allow this. The things people come up with when you give them more creative leeway never ceases to suprise me.

Or... If artists want to make their own interpretations of the brief they could open a thread in P&P and just get on with it.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    adam wrote: »
    I didn't want to have us launch a 4 week challenge and all of a sudden the contest is ready to go in the middle of that.

You guys heard it between the lines here. The contest is coming in less than 4 weeks!!1!1!!!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    I didn't want to have us launch a 4 week challenge and all of a sudden the contest is ready to go in the middle of that.
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    You guys heard it between the lines here. The contest is coming in less than 4 weeks!!1!1!!!

I was just thinking this today, "what happen to all the contest stuff?" glad to hear one is on the way soon.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Oooh... i would like to see a contest of lighting. I would be all over that. Creating the 2 different atmospheres using lighting on a prefabricated scene would be awesome.