Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2 Weeks off for Portfolio work...

Hey peeps....

I've got 2 weeks off coming up and I'm planning to use it to make a few portfolio pieces...

was also planning a 24hr max-a-thon... mainly to reaquaint myself with max as I'm in the middle of a massive blender project...

I'm not a fantastic modeller and potentially looking to learn a bit of zbrush as part of my modelling...

I'm thinking of doing a full 24hr stint with the possibility of running a live stream... mainly so that peeps can come on and point out what i'm doing wrong!! :D

would anyone be interested in this or am I being daft?

I'm planning on a scene based on Dune, the Frank Herbert novel rather than the film... altho some of my plans have been slightly influenced by it...

if people aren't bothered about a live stream I may just post updates occasionally...

if this is the wrong place then please move it... :D thanks!

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    What sort of scene are you doing? An entire level or just a section? I'd recommend you don't do the 24 hour stint...It would be better to do 2 and a half 10 hour days, that way you're not screwing up your sleep schedule and you can be more focused on your work after a nights rest :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems like you're biting off quite a bit and thinking you can get more done in two weeks than you actually could.
    Switch from blender to max, learn sculpting, do a lot of modeling, do an entire environment.

I also agree that doing a 24hr marathon will only be counterproductive. There is a point that you actually just do more harm than good. There are studies (I don't have time to look them up) that show after a certain amount of time your cognitive function will drop to the point that you would be better off working at 30k feet without oxygen. You actually become blind to your mistakes and not only do you not realize you are making them but at the time you actually think its the right thing to do.

You end up passing out and waking up in a pile of crap that you have to fix. Just work normally and don't screw off on the internet.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I do agree with Mark here, its not a good idea to do this marathon.

But i like the idea of a livestream of all creating process, it is can be interesting
  • Shugs81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was more a kind of come watch me work and point out where I'm going wring kind if thing... maybe the 24hr thing will be counter productive so I'll just try to remain focussed.... i cant ditch blender entirely as the project is a potentially commercial but tbh i dont believe that I'm good enough to get everything they need...

the project was just a Portfolio piece so wouldnt be used for games... was mainly wanting to try to get some finished works to put in my Portfolio... but starting to feel i may not be up to this now.... I'll just work at a steady pace and post updates along the way... wish me luck :D
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, your taking on a lot for here. If you are going to do an environment, be sure to limit your scope and focus on a smaller environment instead of a large one..or even just a few props instead.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't really be interested in just watching somebody else learning software. Thats just me...but you could potentially seek out some google hangouts while your working, as people are typically working on stuff in those...then you can voice chat a little and get some feedback/help if you get stuck, etc..
  • Shugs81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're probably right... found a vid showing how to make a desert in about 15 mins and was just going to put a character and a couple of vehicles... but like i say it's been a long slow learning curve so its probably going to be rubbish! :D it'll make for a fun hobby at least!
  • North
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    I did a 24 hour marathon once. only lasted 18 waking hours but I finished an entire skyrim inspired environment. It was good training, and I learned alot in the process.

As for your goals, I dont think a 2 week environment is unreasonable; especially if you are taking a modular approach. When I was in school we had 2 weeks to finish an environment project. So its doable, and not unreasonable. its setting goals like that for yourself that make you a quick worker. I know it benefited me in the end; I can now fully realize a series of quality modular assets in a couple hours, and that skill is worth alot of money to any employer.
  • Shugs81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well... took some advice and rather than hammering max, also bearing in mind i've never done a proper environment before, this is my first attempt... Maps could possibly do with some work and I plan to add a couple of extra tiles to flesh the background out I think it turned out pretty well!! :D

1st_desert_test_by_shugs81-d58gobx.jpg

feel free to knock me down a peg or two!
  • Shugs81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2nd_desert_test_by_shugs81-d58grb1.jpg

added a camera and attempted some fog type effects as per the vid... not sure if I'm feeling the fog but it looks a lot better... tiled a couple more times for testing porpoises... camera's at quite a high angle and I know that i dont really want it that high for the final but will come to that once i get something to put in it... :D
  • Shugs81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm... just noticed I've pointed the camera directly at a seam... baalls... will look into correcting that....