Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Makarov Handgun-[WIP]

igi
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
igi polycounter lvl 12
Hello again.Been working on that weapon.It's still WIP,so I need comment and critiques,thanks!

TEXTURING-IN-PROGRESS:
mkr_wipp_1.PNG
HI POLY:
mkrv_hi_1.png
BAKED NORMALS:
mkr_baked_1.PNG
LOW POLY WIRES:
mkr_wires.PNG
FLATS-WIP
From top-left,clockwise;Diffuse-Spec-Normal-Gloss
mkr_wip_flats_1.PNG

Replies

• Nomad6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad6 polycounter lvl 4
    Love it!
    Question:
    Why do you triangulate everything on your low poly?
    Does it make some processes easier or is it simply cause you like it?
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Triangulated mesh reacts better to the push modifier, meaning you get less errors when making a baking cage. (assuming you're using a cage to bake normals)

I usually dont save the triangulated mesh though, since i find triangulated topology nearly impossible to work with.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Well,I bake triangulated mesh since its the final state of the model to be used in the engine.I don't model in triangulated mode,its just ridiculous.Yeah it has some benefits like better pushing and uv relax and so on.
    Had no problems working with triangulated mesh,I can always revert back.Can't bother it too much.

@Nomad6, glad you liked it :)
    @Olli. ,yeah it can be your choice,but i don't see a difference working on identical mesh whether be triangulated or remain quad mode.

Anyone else for critique on the actual model,pls?
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    looks good so far but its easier to give critic if you post flats(understand that you might not want to show that but just keep that in mind).
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    S_ource wrote: »
    looks good so far but its easier to give critic if you post flats(understand that you might not want to show that but just keep that in mind).

Aha,you right.Didn't want to post them since its wip but yeah that's the purpose of that forum,getting critiques!
    Added flats to first post.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    looking very good. i know the textures are wip, but try not using a desat for your specular. having a color spec would add a shit ton of awesomeness to the gun. keep it up, nice work there ^^
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry that i did not comment on the model as you wanted first time. Emm highpoly looks really good, lowpoly looks good. I'm not sure about having long triangles like that is so good someone else probably know more about that. If this was suposed to be ingame then you probably don't need so much detail in front of the gun and also on handel since the players hands would cover that mostly all the time. Probably not so big deal with todays computers tho. :D