Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gameloft Art test.

Replies

• b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Id say the main reason is that You sound like a douche.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    b1ll wrote: »

What...?
  • UncleMax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or perhaps we all work in a highly competitive field with way more hopefuls than jobs available and "nearly" getting a job is the same as not getting a job.

Your model looked great, best of luck with future applications!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    North wrote: »
    So my friend who got the job at Gameloft used 1/4 of the texture space that was given to him and produced an equally sophisticated product as other tests ive seen with the same assignment. We are both aware that his wasnt the best we had seen, but the reason he got hired is because he solved the problem presented to him in a unique way that showed more than just art skills. An art test that shows you can think is super valuable. Any studio wants a problem solver, not just another artist.

Did you have an interview? maybe they didn't like your attitude ;)

When you are doing an art test for a company who's products you are not intimately familiar with, you go by the tech specs they give you. Guessing to go below worked for your friend in this example, but is objectively bad advice in all other situations. If a company wants someone to randomly guess they should go way below, that's just being ridiculous. Like was mentioned, mobile platforms are getting really powerful, and who knows what unreleased tech a company the size of Gameloft has a hold of.

I know I always, every single time, use the texture space and triangles specified in the test, and every single professional artist I know of does the same.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    b1ll wrote: »

I genuinly want to thank you.
    This is the first time (that I can remember) someone called me names on the internet. Kinda hurt my feelings, but I got over it. =]

So thank you for letting me gain this experience! =D
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just move on dude, your rants are kinda not showing you in a great light right now
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I would rework the CV on your website it looks very unprofessional, all that stuff of being an art director and all just comes off icky due to the fact it was probably a mod project.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Maybe you didnt get the gig because you posted your art test on polycount before they had seen it?
    I certainly wouldn't post an art test online until I had at least heard back about the job that it was designed to land.

best of luck for the future.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Dempolys - I am sorry if I came off as ranting, that was certainly not my intention.

ae. - Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely need to take a second look at my CV.

seth. - Thanks for the advice. =] I thought it was ok to do so because I had seen multiple similar topics about this particular art test here on Polycount. I did not know posting it online could have been an issue.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    If a company says its ok to do so, there should be no problem posting your work for an art test online (but not the test concept and specs they send ofc. Thats a big no if its a private test). Id be a bit peeved if i was a manager expecting a test returned and saw it on the internet first, but once submitted I doubt anyone cares, especially if people like it.

As for test specs, I would follow them to the letter always.

The CV advice people have given is sound I think....
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Your model came out decent, but there are a few things that could be improved. Presentation wise, I'd go for a longer focal length so the figure doesn't get so distorted. I also think showing all of your steps may have contributed to your downfall. The base body you worked from has a lot of flaws even if a lot of it ended up getting covered up in armor/clothing. It's great to show your process, but you never want to show anything that makes anyone second guess you. I also wouldn't blame the concept for anything because it's often the 3d artist's job to overcome anything lacking in the concept in order to produce the best result.

Obviously, I have no idea why you didn't get the job, but if I were to guess the situation they may have had other applicants who produced work of similar caliber. In cases like that, if I were in charge of hiring, the next thing to look at would be the body of work of each person and their experience levels. This test is probably your best piece in your portfolio while perhaps the other applicants had more models of better quality (or they just had more experience).

Or like you said, they could have been reluctant to hire someone foreign. The thing about a lot of companies is that it takes them almost no effort to hand out and review tests, and a lot of times they don't even consider things like visas until it comes time to look at candidates more seriously. I've seen it happen a lot where you'll get someone who worked hard on a test and then it gets turned down for reasons completely unrelated to the quality of work, and then you're like: then why did you even give them an art test?

Again though, you did a decent job. You just need more models, and to work out the kinks in anatomy and such, and eventually things will fall into place. Good luck on the next one!

... and, yea... Gameloft... :P
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    directing the art in a project, doesn't necessarily make you an art director, it would come across as being.... piloting a dinghy doesn't make you a sea captain

doesn't mean you cant say that you directed the art in a mod project, but saying your an art director does come across as a little ignorant.

i wouldnt worry too much about it too much...could be a lucky escape
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of a necropost, but as I happened across it I remembered something:
    Gameloft send out art tests as the fancy strikes them. They don't go 'this guy looks like he might fit in, we'll send him an art test', they go 'this guy has a pulse, we should send him an art test'. They at times work with agents who are told to send tests to anyone they want, and in one specific case (where I turned down the art test due to a previous experiences), the agent --after telling me how wrong I was-- then came back and told me she (and all the applicants she sent an art test to) never heard back from Gameloft on any of them. No response, at all.
    It was a big art test, they estimated it at one week's work, fulltime.

B1ll, you're classy/trolly as ever.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    edit: just noticed how old this post was...

any other experiences with GL?