Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hard Surface self-evaluation

I would like to get some feedback on a couple of hard surface props I’ve done recently. I know that as an artist it can be hard to see past the fact that I created something ‘cool’; and truly see that object for what it is. So, with that said, I would like to post a self-evaluation of where I ‘think’ I am.. and then get some feedback to see where I really am. I hope you will be brutally honest with me as I try to figure this 3d modeling thing out.

I have 5 months left to graduate and I will be seeking a jr/entry level position at that time.

Here we go…
  • I think I have a pretty good grasp on a hi-poly to lo-poly workflow.
  • I know I can bake a decent normal map.
  • I need improvement in creating complex hi-poly objects (working on that now).
  • My texturing skills are below par – IMO – and could use more of my attention.
  • I have no idea if I’m good at creating lo-poly meshes. (as far as getting the most out of each object’s poly count)
  • I’m slow as molasses..
  • Old tv = 56 working hrs
  • Fridge = 28 working hrs (maybe I’m getting faster?!)
  • My UV layout needs work as well

Old tv - 464 tri:
old-tv-set1.jpg
screenshot_00_low.jpg
screenshot_01_low.jpg
screenshot_02_low.jpg
HiRes_low-1.jpg
Diffuse_low-1.jpg

Fridge - 994 tri:
Screenshot2012-02-29at21210PM.png
screenshot00_low.jpg
screenshot01_low.jpg
screenshot03_low.jpg
screenshot02_low.jpg
HiRes_low.jpg
Diffuse_low.jpg

I’m probably forgetting some critiques, but please feel free to comment however you would like. I’ll take the good, bad and the ugly.

*EDIT* I guess I should have stated that the Old tv is about 50-50 hand painted vs. real textures and the fridge is 100% hand painted. FYI.

Thanks,
Tony.

Replies

• SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Really cool models. I like how the bulb is integrated in the fridge. That's why it's so useful using references. By my own i never would have thought of making a "deeper" area for the light bulp. I would spend some more polygons for the silhouette. I guess the fridge could look more perfect when the corners wouldn't be that angled.
  • SamirDuran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamirDuran polycounter lvl 6
    How is tri count for both?
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    About the TV, the glass needs some glossy reflections with cubemaps, don't exagerate and get rid of the leaks they looks ugly.The metal parts need to pop more, again withe the cubemaps, this time you need to make the specular very diffuse.The plasic can get a subtle spec, depending on the type, the black one very diffuse low, the whitish one more glossy.The wood would need some spec too, don't go too crazy . Use the wood texture to vary the intensity so it creates a good contrast between zones that have none and zones that have more spec.
    Hope this helps.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    You should work more on how you assign your texel density. Having uniform density across the entire model isn't always the best approach, I mean how often are you gonna see the bottom of that fridge? Chop that off and shrink it down. The same goes for the TV - the fully-occluded wooden part on the bottom is taking up a huge number of pixels which you'll never ever actually see. Use the cut tool to remove it, and then you can pack smaller object inside the hole you've made (all of the control-panel plus some extra bits would fit in there easily).
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    why do you have those leaky lines on the TV screen? doesnt make sense to me. :(

other than that these are pretty awesome :D
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. wrote: »
    why do you have those leaky lines on the TV screen? doesnt make sense to me. :(

other than that these are pretty awesome :D

unused, watered glass surface that has had alot of dust on it. realy old stuff basicaly getting older.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    You should work more on how you assign your texel density. Having uniform density across the entire model isn't always the best approach, I mean how often are you gonna see the bottom of that fridge? Chop that off and shrink it down. The same goes for the TV - the fully-occluded wooden part on the bottom is taking up a huge number of pixels which you'll never ever actually see. Use the cut tool to remove it, and then you can pack smaller object inside the hole you've made (all of the control-panel plus some extra bits would fit in there easily).

i think the texel density looks even as is. can't assume you won't ever see the bottom. what if it were used in a scene tipped over? since this just seems to be general practice of hardsurface, I think the texel density works great because he's showing the entire model.

i think the ao/shading around the screen could be taken down a bit. also, the dirt on the screen is too uniform. add some more near the edges and add some slight color to it. dust isn't always grey. oh and a cube map or some sorta reflection would help.

example: old dusty tv
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    I am by no means any good at texturing but here is my input.

Try adding some smears onto the screen where someone may have touched it. Add something like a ring from a cup on top of the TV where someone maybe left a class or beer to long. make the item feel like it has a story, maybe it sat in a trailer for many years or in a pawn shop it just needs more it feels bland.

The fridge model was almost perfectly transferred from the reference in form and you picked up on a lot of details I would have skimmed over nice work
    the dirt looks uneven, it has these dirty drips and some rust but its missing a lot of the dust rust and grime that evened out the look of the fridge. I find myself staring at the black drips on to top they stand out so much and I think its because it is missing a lot of surrounding grime. or at least that grime is missing form it looks sprayed on. try finding to pictures with some splatter or a dirty kitchen pull from them for that added detail.

hope I'm at least some help
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Robbyh wrote: »
    unused, watered glass surface that has had alot of dust on it. realy old stuff basicaly getting older.

its just that the rest of the model doesnt have any evidence of water damage
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Your glass looks like a window.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Not bad overall, put more emphasis on your speculars to differentiate material types, wood, plastic, metal etc.
    There's also a lot of unused tris on the fridge door, not worth texel equilibrium.

Nice start! Keep it up :)