Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hammerburst 2- Gears of War

Hey they polycount people. Decided to tackle another weapon over my summer break and I stumbled upon this concept from Gears of War. Here is what I have so far. This will be my base for the highpoly as well as my base for the low. Going to take it into zbrush next to get more detail in there. Let me know what you guys think so far.

This is the most updated image
render05-1.jpg

GoW2-Artwork-Weapons-01.jpg

render01-7.jpg

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Few things I know off the bat I need to adjust are the ejection port and the front grip.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to get some detail in zbrush. Let me know what you guys think and point out any issues hopefully before i get too far.

zbrush01.jpg
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    It is hard to tell on that render but there seems to be a bunch of creasing occurring on the front element of the gun with the 5 holes. Or maybe it is just mass out geometry that is faceted.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya having issues with smoothing some of this crap out.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    going pretty slow with all the distractions i've had over this summer break. Going to try and grind out as much as possible before school starts up again.

render02-5.jpg

render03-4.jpg
  • Liamodearme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liamodearme polycounter lvl 7
    I think its looking amazing! The only parts that throw me a little bit are your smoothing issues but you already know about them. At the moment I'm not sure if the round cap in the middle of the gun is meant to have those harsh edges, they look good like that as well! However it might be nice if it was smoothed and you could use a spec map to give it a bit of a shine.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Liam... some of the objects havent been smoothed out yet and i agree some of the objects look kinda interesting like that.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first texture pass

snq8q

edit: image isn't working. having problems uploading any image atm...not sure why.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally able to upload an image.

render05-1.jpg
  • rawrsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your pattern on the straps isn't following the direction of the cloth but just running straight up and down. That's the first thing i noticed because it always drives me nuts. Also if you look at the concept the scale of a lot of your details is way off from the concept and the straps are totally different. If i hadn't seen the concept i would say it's looking pretty good though.

keep at it :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    This is F*cking awesome. It has come out pretty nicely for sure. the only thing that really bothers me is the back strap over the stock thing above the handle. The cloth strap totally looks out of place... Idk what it is, but it looks like a paint over or photo shopped on afterwards. The back strap could definitely use a little more "umph". They seem really skinny and frail compared to the beefy feel of the gun design. The gun itself is pretty sweet, maybe add some wear and tear and some slight color variation? It seems extremely monochromatic. Nice job though, these are all just my opinion, as an outsider looking in, at what I would change :)

EDIT: Damn this guy is fast ^^ beat me too it. Seems like we both can agree that the straps definitely stand off the gun in a not so positive way. Now that he pointed it out, the texture on the strap does bug me a little too. Also the strap seems to get skinnier towards the ring on the gun, makes it look a little awkward. Once again, this is all just to help make this gun better! No personal offense at all
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much appreciated. I tried to do something different than the concept on the straps but i guess its not coming out so well. I have a really hard time with fabric in zbrush so this will be a challenge for me but ill put some more time into it. I can see now some detail issues with other areas of the gun such as the area around the ejection port and also the cylinder in front of the clip. ill go back and address some of these. Thanks again for the comments...its nice to get feedback so quickly.