Home Unreal Engine

UDK - May-2012 - Sluggish Material

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Heya Peeps,

Quick question, anyone experience sluggish responses when in Editors like the Material and Kismet (mostly Material) in UDK?

I recently upgraded from December-2011 to May-2012, and the entire thing feels very...slow. Materials take forever to make changes (I noticed a 184.76% increase in node loading times, almost 2x), the 'Compiling Materials' pop-up takes also longer (over 1.50% more time needed now) and etc, everything is taking longer to happen.

Just curious if something got 'enabled' along the way in UDK that is making things slower that might have skipped the FAQ-Docs I didn't see.

PS: Alot of my packages come from December version, so could that be it? Although last I checked, upgraded version will accept clean packages as long as I don't reference 'null' objects on initial open.

Replies

• imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    I also have noticed this in the material editor. The more complicated a material gets, the worse the problem is. I was using March 2012 when I started noticed this. If anyone has any insight on why or how to eliminate it, I'd also be interested in knowing.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the issue indeed, it's also sluggish on non-complicated materials.

I just tried a simple custom material - one spec and one diffuse - and it's taking the same amount of time it would for an uber material.

These effect also extends to other mini editors, like kismet, and etc.

However, it seems like UDK is 'faster' now when processing Bones/Mesh and Texture in a package.

So Interfaces and Execution Slower =/= Processing Assets Faster. Not sure what's going on.
  • FlynT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys i've noticed the same issue, i got black spots on the content browser whenever i moved it, the material editor was sluggish and my gpu fan went crazy whenever i've opened up the editor. So i've tried to find the reason and for me the problem was related to custom catalyst settings. AA & AF was turned on, after setting it back to "Use Application settings" everything become smooth again.

Im not sure if thats the reason for you guys but at least its a point that may help, even if you're on a nvidia card.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks FlynT, will see if that is the case indeed, although in my case, I use an Nvidia and have pretty much set everything to "Performance".

Fingers Crossed!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Bump - Confirmed for ATi and Nvidia that setting to App Controled will fix the issue. Also, in the case of Nvidia at least, make sure you have 'Single Display Performance' enabled.

Cheers FlynT!