Home Technical Talk

Cryengine 3 Tutorial Series

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Hello Polycount,

I am currently starting my own tutorial channel, working on making very comprehensive tutorials with project files that will go slow and cover every step.
I'd like some feed back and ideas for future tutorials. I am also doing 3ds max ones, so please know that I am willing to cover than and most other softwares.

I plan to, over the course of the next year or so make tutorials for creating quality projects in After Effects, focus on Photoshop, nDo2 tutorials, texturing workflow tutorials, high poly modeling tutorials, UDK, some programming taught by someone else, as well as a lot of Cryengine 3.

The primary reason I started this channel is that I find that there are SO many questions people have when it come to Cryengine and a lack of quality tutorials. My goal is to clearly explain, and go slow, show the step by step, and provide project files to allow people to really be able to make the things with an understanding of what they are doing.

The same goes for 3ds Max, when I started learning, I had a LOT of questions, I want to help other people with that, and help answer a lot of the questions I had.

I would love some feed back about the pace I teach at, what could use more clarity, what you think I should do next.

I must let you know, I do not do anything character related, I am an inorganic modeler, maybe someday later this year or next year I will get into a rigging weapons, attachments, and adding character tutorials, but not anytime soon.

There is a lot on the horizon and I plan to release a lot of content and stick to this, so please don't worry about, ohhh he isn't committed, there won't be much more.

There will be. Not only that but your feedback and comments will increase the quality of the tutorials. I'm working to make a more standardized system for releasing, narrating, and uploading content that makes it predictable.
For example, my description hold the links to the Dropbox project files for any lesson, if a lesson has no project files it say so. There is a quick overview of what is covered, as well as providing links for software used in the lesson you might not have and letting you know what you need before the lesson starts.

There is a lot more to come so stay tuned and PLEASE, give me feedback and let me know what you would like!

Thanks for reading my wall of text,
Alex

Link to the channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/DCCTutorials?feature=mhee

I am uploading a 1 hour tutorial that should get you fully acquainted with Cryengine 3 if you are just starting out and I hope this will be of some use to people.

Please request more tutorials!

Replies

• ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome dude. Close facebook while you're recording though, the first 5 minutes of your first CE3 video is like BINGBING BING BING
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, I thought I had turned it off, the recorded must have circumvented that somehow! Sorry, I am taking requests, I was going to do one more today but I'm not feeling so well.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you do tutorials for making an indoor environment with lighting and presentation for characters basically? I want super ultra renders of some of my characters in CE3

Like a studio setup almost
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can do my best! It's on my list.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ceebee wrote: »
    Can you do tutorials for making an indoor environment with lighting and presentation for characters basically? I want super ultra renders of some of my characters in CE3

Like a studio setup almost

that would be a cool idea, Ive been looking around online but cant find any good tutorials covering indoor lighting - visareas and all that stuff, that would be very helpful.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll make one tomorrow night, I have just been so sick of my computer and actually doing stuff for once, I have about 3 tutorials I need to make right now and just have not had it as high on my list. I will knock the indoor scene one out tonight, it might not be up for a day or so due to the fact that for every hour of recording it's about 5 extra hours of waiting to get it online.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    looking good so far man :) will keep an eye out for future tutorials.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i started doing the tutorial but I think I need to lay it out better. I want to know what exactly do you want to learn about indoor scenes, if I did setting up lights and a visarea it seems pretty simple, I want something more comprehensive, what would you like it to entail?
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a basic character mesh you can use: http://www.curtbinder.com/nizzacb_basemesh.rar

Something like a basic 3 point light setup or studio setup kind of like this: http://m5designstudio.com/2011/maya-3d-tutorials/studio-three-point-lighting/

and maybe a way to have the character affected by cryengine's environment lighting but disable everything visible in the viewport except the model?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see what I can do, it's rather simple, I will make it a tutorial covering the lights and how to use them as well as setting up a simple indoor scene using solids and lighting it, setting up materials and setting up a 3 point. I'll admit lighting is not my strongest suite, but I can get by. I really am sorry for not doing these as I say I will. I am really just kinda in a rut for the first time in a few months, and just feeling eh, normally I don't feel like this, so please don't mark me a slacker lol. Tomorrow is the fourth of July, but I will run through the tutorial and make it depending on how tomorrow comes through. AKA what time I get home. Thanks for your patience and lack of professionalism in this matter. I will also cover making cubemaps to make the renders nicer.
    Thanks
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys, as promised I made a video on setting up indoor scenes, as well as a 3 point lighting setup. I am sorry if its not amazing, I think it's almost 50 minutes, I ran through it before I made it. I still am not feeling well but I did my best for feeling sick and it being 3 am. Here is the end result of the 3 point part of the tutorial.
    It's using the basic assets from that come with the editor only and materials. I know the floor is absurdly shiny, I explain in my video. But the goal is to learn not make awesome stuff.
    I should have it up tomorrow and will post the link.
    VVRiI.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I am uploading it now. Will be live at this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOECCJIwbFc&feature=youtu.be (if it doesn't work let me know)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to hijack the thread, but I thought you might like this setup for working on one screen:
    QTVGD.jpg

And here's a quick level: for anyone interested (freeSDK)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That actually would be good to show some people, thanks for sharing, I prefer 3 personally.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 screens? hehe :) yeah, for actual working I wouldn't have everything on one screen, but for video tutorials it's great to help people keep track of what's going on.

i also just realized that in that screenshot I don't have an environment probe in the scene (updating the level just now).
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    3 screens? hehe :) yeah, for actual working I wouldn't have everything on one screen, but for video tutorials it's great to help people keep track of what's going on.

i also just realized that in that screenshot I don't have an environment probe in the scene (updating the level just now).

I considered getting that in-depth but I didn't wanna, it's a basic tutorial. To be honest the best way to learn Cryengine is just to use it and read the offical docs and browse Crydev.
  • Hcui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hcui polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for this. I'm subscribing.
    Cheers
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good work getting that lighting tutorial done, I will have to find time to watch it, 46mins wow!
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for doing these, they are great.

Here are some of my suggestions for future tutorials.
    1. A daytime scene using the time of day editor. (maybe something with weather fx)
    2. A nighttime scene using the time of day editor. (maybe get some nice fog, some light rays coming through the clouds)
    -It would be nice if you could show us all the little bells and whistles that the TOD editor has to offer.
    3. Maybe a tesselation tutorial. Like a broken pillar, show how you make the low poly, the high poly sculpt and then bring it into the CE3. Something simple that shows the process from start to finish. Maybe point out things to look out for, like improper UV's could distort your tesselation. How to unwrap for tesselation etc.
    4. A texture tutorial on how to vertex blend between two materials. Tips and tricks for things to keep in mind.

I'm just throwing these out here, I'm new to all this myself.
    Anyway, keep up the good work.
  • tomcaps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here comes another suggestion:

- It would be awesome if you could show us how to "change level" @ CryENGINE 3 Flow Graph. For example, when you complete a mission, it loads a new map, and so on. Like "stages" in a normal game, you know?

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the bad english.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to do these, I've been super busy with school, I do have plans to continue this series and my channel, but working on a game and being in school has been really difficult to keep up with.
  • Dplusminus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I am just starting to use the new engine, I know this thread is rather old but I have been searching and searching for a good, overall, flowgraph tutorial. Preferably with an upload of your level at the end. Thankyou in advance :)