Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio up for critique!

Hey everyone! I'm new here. I just graduated from Full Sail University last month with my Bachelors of Science in Computer Animation, which a focus on character modeling. Here is a link to my website! Looking to get some feedback! Thanks everyone.

www.jeffboob.com

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Man I thought my last name was rough, so hats off to you on surviving that.

With that said as soon as I open the page I see about 1/3 of a video playing and your name in gigantic letters. For a portfolio I would have the landing page be your gallery and have the video be an optional thing we get to choose to play.

After all that the next thing is to just keep completing pieces. If you want to get a character artist position you have to be the best of the best. So it will be a tough road to get there, but with enough determination you can.

Good luck!
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Are these game characters? If so you should render them in a game engine, most honest way to show off game art.

If these are game characters there are a lot of polygons you dont need. For example, the vikings chain armor is too much and theres probably too any polys in his horns. I'd say you should really work on your texturing. The characters here look like they just have flat diffuse colors which doesnt show much. Cartoony is fine but you need to add more punch to the texture. It looks like you don't have any kind of ambient occlusion which is a huge part of why the texture is so flat. Add highlights and shadows to make things have form and pop.

If you just want to be a character modeler and dont want to texture, then dont put textures on your characters. Itll just bring all your art down if you put flat diffuse colors in there with no real texturing.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even on my 1080 monitor I get a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen so might want to sort that out. Don't take it for granted that all studios will have the biggest and best screens.
  • Kn1ghtHavvk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies already! I definitely plan on revamping my website a lot. The lay out was 100% made that way to please a teacher, so i haven't quite gotten around to changing that yet.

I definitely need to work on my efficiency with poly count and I REALLY need to get a hold of texturing. Sadly we didn't really have a lot of focus on texturing so I'm lacking in that area.

Thanks Quack! I'd be interested to see what your last name is haha. I've actually loved my last name its quarky and unforgetable which in my opinion is a great thing.

I'll probably work on the layout some this week and show you guys some progress. I'm also trying my hand at the Arena.net art test, mainly for learning but who knows haha, so I'll try to post some of that soon as well. Looking forward to hearing what everybody else has to say!
  • Mekhollandt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jeff, I know the direction you mean with your demo reel, since I went to the same place for the same degree and they want mental ray renders on the demo instead of using the game art degree method and showing off game engine stuff.

Use the UDK knowledge you got in AGT and bring the characters into that for the Screenshots, then place them on the first page above the demo reel. When they see the shots in UDK, and wish to explore further how the sculpt,WF and everything looks, they can continue onto the demo. But get those things into UDK, and start right into your next model. Every asset you add is going to add to your likelihood of scoring that job.

I like the character art though, it does sell. Just make sure they know you are a game character artist and not just a character artist if that's the direction you want to go specifically.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Gotta be honest with you man, people are not going to watch your reel. It takes way too long to wait for the thing to load and when it finally does everything is presented poorly. It sounds lazy, but having to scroll down and navigate to even see what I am supposed to see is too much work.

Also, I've never really seen the point of a reel if your skills don't rely on motion. Like the work you're showing here is basically a series of T pose stills...you're not showing how your character deforms, you're not showing a walkthrough of a level, its not an animation demo, etc.

Essentially, you're making it too hard for people to see your work. What I would do is:

-Kill your background. It's a pretty colour scheme, but its distracting. Just go with a solid tasteful colour that is neutral and won't take away from your work.

-Start up with just a gallery. Have your contact information right at the top of the page, then a series of thumbnails and a link to your resume and reel if people are interested.

-for your actual work, you need to show some specs. Like right now, they're either fairly heavy game characters or really low film characters.

-Reduce the types of shots for your characters, some thing like 2 beauty shots, 1 wireframe / construction image and 1 page of texture flats if it's applicable. More like how your last model is presented. Your first 2 models have a lot of filler images that lead the viewer to redundant information (e.g. you have 5 separate images for wireframe turnarounds - just condense it into 1)

-Kill the about me. It's just filler and, to be honest, you're not in a position where your history will get you anywhere. Sorry if that's harsh, but realistically, any useful information will be on your resume and, considering your lack of experience, you don't have a ton of bargaining chips / names to drop to get people's attention.

Really, you just need to let your work be what speaks for you. Get rid of all the fluff that nobody wants and get to work on more characters to show

Gav
  • Kn1ghtHavvk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mek! When did you finish school? I'd be interested to hear how things panned out for you after you finished!

Gav please refer to my previous post I made about the reason my site is the way it is. I basically covered most of the complaints you had about it already so no need to repeat myself haha. Also I'm not sure why you had an issue with it loading. It instantly loads when I or anyone I have ever had look at it loads the page, so maybe thats an internet thing on your end. About the about me page, I think its good there. People don't really use an About me page to pimp themselves and drop names, that section should be about the person who owns the site and the art you are looking at. It can give a feeling of what kind of person the employer will be talking to, really it just sets a tone. Thanks for the feedback though. Like I said earlier I'll be posting again once I work on it some.

Hopefully I'll get more critiques on my actual art than the page it self now that anybody new reading knows I've covered why the page is the way it is :) Thanks everyone!!!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    In that case make a portfolio site we can critique that isn't made the way your instructor wants it. That way when you're done with the class, you can trash this one and use one that actually displays work the way people from this industry would want to view it. If I were you I'd take everything Gav said and do it.

edit: art crits- poly distribution is inconsistent. Models are simple and lack several levels of detail consistent with current practices. Also they are smoothed and rendered not presented in real time solution. No sculpts or high res info. No texture flats. Textures are bland and materials need definition. Viking guy is cool.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    It wasn't the slowness, it's not my internet speed, but you've got about 10 seconds of 'nothing' - just your name. Before that, you have dead space of just your background. If me, a person trying to give you help, felt like turning away, I can assure you someone looking at tons of reels every day is going to.

As for the about page, fine, but as a person who does review portfolios for jobs I can honestly tell you I've never looked at one and thought "This guy sounds nice." Let your work get their attention then show what kind of person you are in the interview.
  • Mekhollandt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PM whenever you need to and we can go over what we can do to make it look more along the lines of what these guys are talking about. They're right. I'm not saying the PCC/DRC instructors don't know what they are saying, but the CA degree is more geared towards movies than games. And the infamous 10 second Dead Space is to appease the kids that want to make a a movie out of their demo rather than something that will get them a job (DUN-DUN-Boom-ditty-Boom! *Name Flashes on screen* DUN DUN DUN...you get it).

The main thing to take from this is that these guys want to help you with the layout first and foremost, because they are changes that you can make right now. Your art itself is something you will add to and get better at as you progress and search these forums more (and the amazing wiki they have here). I agree with you about the download speed of the movie, it loads quickly for me too, but despite that, don't use your HD 720 version. Post the H.264 one on VIMEO and link it with html so it doen't matter if they are connection to the internet with a can and two strings, they will get it as fast as possible.

So yeah, if you have any questions, feel free again to PM me.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Kill the music, the moment i heard it i closed your site...
  • Camisado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Camisado polycounter lvl 12
    Most game studios don't care about demo reels, you need to put stills of your work front and center! Like others have already stated, your work needs to be presented in real time (use UDK or Marmoset) if you want to work in games. Work on some lower poly characters with current gen texturing techniques and show your texture flats.

I actually graduated from Full Sail's game art program in December (and landed a job in April :D). My classmates and I met with the Demo Reel course director ahead of time to try to get out of wasting our time on a reel and focusing more on a portfolio site or something since many game studios even state they DON'T want to see a reel. We still had to make one though :(. And to make matters worse, the version of UDK that was on the lab computers had issues with camera scripts, so I just made my environment flythroughs on my home PC on a newer version, half assed my reel (and still got a B+ lol) and spent my class time touching up some older assets for my portfolio. Good times!
  • Kn1ghtHavvk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the feedback again! It's awesome that so many people will take the time to help out around here. This is the first site like this i've ever participated in so it's awesome to know there are people out there willing to give honest opinions and help push me to be the best i can be.

It's also awesome to meet more people that went to the same school I did. I will most definitely PM both of you guys at some point, gotta keep in touch with fellow graduates haha.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Kn1ghtHavvk,

I know the comments here can be a little despairing at times, but you should know that everyone's heart is in the right place. We were all in the same exact boat as you at one point in time.

That being said, just keep your head up! Keep modeling, definitely get a hold of texturing. That's something that is really, really important. Spend a lot of time on these forums and make sure you find some work that you find inspiring.

For gods sake though, don't stop doing 3D just because you've graduated and have a demo reel. Keep working through this, through your down time. The absolute ONLY way you get noticed is by standing out, and that means long hours, and relentless pursuit of your craft. Neither of those are difficult, but they are both hard.

Never abandon projects, because the part in the middle, where you're unsure and skeptical of your work is a learning process. That's something you have to teach yourself to persist through. Keep iterating, keep asking questions, and read as much as you can. I know (guarantee) that you will find Polycount to be a way, way, way better influence than Full Sail was. The bluntness is what sets this place apart.
  • Kn1ghtHavvk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Seaseme! I'm definitely not finding the comments here despairing. It's nice to hear honest critiques. I'm looking forward to growing and seeing where I end up by surrounding myself with people of like mind and similar situations! Some really great advice from you so thanks! I will most definitely keep up the hard work!