Home Technical Talk

How to re-scale and re-position ZBrush polypainted model?

I've got following problem: to bake the polypaint from high poly to low poly, I must have both models in the same size and position. Unfortunately, my polypaint in ZBrush was done before I properly scaled and oriented the model in Maya. It seems imposiible to import the high poly into Maya and still have its polypainting. Is there any way around this problem?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If the highpoly has some lower subdivision levels, export and resise that. Reimport it, and with Goz Z, the new scale and rotation should be updated with all the sculpted detail and polypaint transferred smoothly.

Alternatively, if it does have some lower subdivision levels, you could try and give the highpoly a temporary set of UVs. Then you dont have to worry about polypaint information being retained as it's now on a texture. Decimate, export, resize as needed, and bake.

Or you could take them both into zbrush and try Tool: Deformation: Unify. This would change the scale (and using the rotation deforms would change the orientation of the low res mesh back), but if you work on a copy of the lowpoly I don't see it being a problem. Bake with that, then apply the result to the properly scaled mesh.
  • Mira Reed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Cryrid, thanks a lot!