Home Technical Talk

udk help documentation enquries??

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I downloaded UDK some months back but I never used it.I am presently studying UDK and I intend to learn everything about it in 2 weeks(I am dead serious).So I am wondering which video tutorials to download from udk's website:
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html

There seems to be different categories on the page as there are VTMs from udk but there are quite old (2005),the category of VTMs from 3dbuzz.From what each category contains,its like they both cover the same things.I don't wanna download the same thing twice so if anyone has used these vtms,I will appreciate recommendations on which category has more details and would enable me understand the engine faster.
I will also check out the community videos as well.

Also any tips of how u went about learning the engine.

Thanks.

Replies

• melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonder why there is no offline documentation for udk.It's kinda weird.I learnt most of Maya by using the offline docs and still consult it once in a while.An offline doc is neccessary especially if u are not online.

Can't they make the online docs into an offline one or pdf?It will be very helpful.

After watching the skeletal meshes pipeline training vids,do I need to have the actorx plugin?and must my rigged model be the only mesh the scene to export to udk?and also mirroring tables in udk.I have a feeling this pipeline might be outdated?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Well, the UDK comes out every month and Epic epic try to update the doc each time. I guess it's an easier way to update a website than doing an offline doc. They can also lock some part which become only accessible by the licensees.

Otherwise, the videos are worth it, they don't cover the same topics. I'm curious to know how you can say that if you don't have watched them. :)
    I have already watched them a long time ago. most of the knowledge is still valid, but you will notice some differences with the UDK versions of today (well, softwares evolves after all).
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    I watched the skeletal mesh pipeline videos yesterday...and the instructor used ActorX plugin so I did some research today and found out the ActorXplugin is no longer in use and fbx file format is the now recommended way to export skeletal meshes from Maya or 3dmax.

I had to start watching them as I haven't gotten an recommendations but I will start with the 3dbuzz ones.They seem more recent and in detail.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this may sound ridiculous but is there anyone here who could make an offline document of udk?plz.Those of us who are offline most of the time would really need it.Maybe one..every 1 or 2 years since udk doesn't want to make one.
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    You should be able to just download the entire website, who knows how large it is though, goodluck. http://www.httrack.com/
  • Kon Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Froyok wrote: »
    Well, the UDK comes out every month and Epic epic try to update the doc each time. I guess it's an easier way to update a website than doing an offline doc. They can also lock some part which become only accessible by the licensees.

Otherwise, the videos are worth it, they don't cover the same topics. I'm curious to know how you can say that if you don't have watched them. :)
    I have already watched them a long time ago. most of the knowledge is still valid, but you will notice some differences with the UDK versions of today (well, softwares evolves after all).

On the art side there is lots of videos and help. On the programming side, I've been told most of the stuff is dated. Even if you have exp. using another engine... your not going to learn UDK in 2 weeks. Beside having a base understanding of how things work and how to build in it, what are you looking to learn?

You could spend a whole month learning one of the following:
    • Material networks
    • Kismet
    • animation
    • lighting