Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[3rd Party Contest] Fantasy Character Modeling Contest by Mixamo ( $1k First Prize )

Replies

• mixamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bswap_top_logo.png
    BLENDSWAP ADDS PRIZES TO THE MIXAMO FANTASY CONTEST
    Mixamo partners Blend Swap have offered to help sponsor the Mixamo Fantasy contest by adding some great membership deals to the winnings. For those who don’t know, Blend Swap is a Free, Open Source, 3D model repository for Blender 3D Artists, where anybody can download and share their models with the world.
    The new prize list looks like this:A big thanks goes out to Blend Swap
    Prizes:
    1st Place
    - $1000 cash – 50 Mixamo Credits – 1 Year Membership with Blend Swap – Interview and Featured on Mixamo – Professional Rendering of Your Character
    2nd Place
    - $500 cash – 30 Mixamo Credits – 6 Month Membership with Blend Swap - Interview on Mixamo
    3rd Place
    - $250 cash 15 Mixamo Credits – 1 Month Membership with Blend Swap - Interview on Mixamo
  • mixamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    Sooo...does anyone know if the weapons get their own texture sheets?

2048x2048 Textures Max ( this is cumulative so 4x1024^2 is ok ). One for each of the following map types:(diffuse, alpha, normal, specular, specular color, glow) diffuse, normal and specular encouraged!

However you divide up your textures is up to you as long as it is within the limits.
  • jim
  • mrSuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to post my thread here, anyway:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102467

will definitely be updating by this week. hope i could catch up
  • Nello
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nello polycounter lvl 5
    I have a question, will topology be a criteria of judging?
  • kapil chauhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I,m also participating in this contest.......if im not too late..
    My Model Will b " The Beast "
  • SharDCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SharDCG polycounter lvl 8
    And my two questions:
    1. What render can i use to create beauty shot of my character?
    2. How about a pedestal?
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    I think they already told some things about that if I remember :

- we can use any realtime "engine" ( UDK, Marmoset... ) but we can't use fancy shaders, only the base maps ( dif, spec, norm, glow, alpha, etc. )

- the pedestal is not required. If you make one, it's not included in the tricount nor the texture size.
  • Ajajin8
  • SharDCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion wrote: »
    I think they already told some things about that if I remember :

- we can use any realtime "engine" ( UDK, Marmoset... ) but we can't use fancy shaders, only the base maps ( dif, spec, norm, glow, alpha, etc. )

- the pedestal is not required. If you make one, it's not included in the tricount nor the texture size.
    Thx Texelion! Good news)
  • mixamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion, Thanks for answering the question.

This contest is getting epic! Over 60 Entries so far! Good job everyone and good luck!
  • sipher3325
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, forgot to post here. Here's mine - a personal take on Ramsay Bolton:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102833
  • Thousand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    I´m in:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1645704#post1645704

one question to mixamo:

what would be better: to create the weapon shown in the concept and submitting it in the "beast" category? or should I create daggers instead and submit it to the "assassins" category?
  • Bemski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys.. I forgot to post my thread.. Here's mine -

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1647703#post1647703

Hoping to finish my beast by next week :D
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herp, never posted mine either, it's still stuck over in P&P haha

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102406
  • lin_firefly
  • nechnechmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nechnechmo polycounter lvl 6
    Can I use mental ray or vray?? I don't have marmoset or any real time engine installed in my pc...
  • mixamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadline has been extended because of popular request to Aug 31st at 12:00 PM PST!

P.S. you can use any renderer you like.
  • Moogart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wohoo our deadline got extended! Thanks mixamo!
    Lets do this! Goodluck everyone :-)
  • reecpj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for extending the deadline! Probably got a chance of entering now! Here's my thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103171
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mental ray and V ray ? Seriously ? =_=
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, pretty strange. I thought this was a game art competition.
  • Thousand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nechnechmo wrote: »
    Can I use mental ray or vray?? I don't have marmoset or any real time engine installed in my pc...

you can use the marmoset trial version for 40 days, without any trial-limits
    http://www.marmoset.co/

marmoset is a nice tool, I recommend taking a look (even if now software rendering seems to be an option in this contest)!

cheers m
  • SharDCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sofabound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sofabound polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the extension Mixamo! Forgot to post my thread link too:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1638382#post1638382
  • Stormy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New to Polycount. just registered up when i saw this contest. From the few links that I clicked on it looks like it will be a tough road ahead of me wish me luck and i'll start a tread soon.
  • nechnechmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mental ray and V ray ? Seriously ? =_=

um...yes...I did some tests already and it's not really bad after all. :)
    Maybe I'll try to use marmoset since the deadline has been extended.
  • nechnechmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand wrote: »
    you can use the marmoset trial version for 40 days, without any trial-limits
    http://www.marmoset.co/

marmoset is a nice tool, I recommend taking a look (even if now software rendering seems to be an option in this contest)!

cheers m

Um yeah. I am trying to download it and thank goodness the deadline has been extended...Anyway, In terms of game assets, I've been using mental ray and vray for rendering.
  • JERIX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mental ray and V ray are rendering tools and it can also do real time rendering... for all I know shaders are map placement and a material map mixer... and Marmoset rendering tool it's also like Mental-ray and V-ray (I think?), but in a simplified set up for your material shaders and lighting system, so it's friendly use, unlike V-ray you have to set up everything from lighting to rendering on your commercial 3d software.

I think mixamo already explained that you can render your work however way you want it or whatever rendering tools you can use, as long as you only use the corresponding maps on the material shaders ( dif, spec, norm, glow, alpha, )... I think you can still use Mental-ray and V-ray for rendering, because it is for the Final Beauty shot Rendering purposes.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't find anything serious about Mental ray and V ray in realtime, just bad preview rendering.

But with offline rendering, even if you use basic maps, you can always have an awesome render with light bouncing, high quality shadows, and all the stuff. It's not really "videogame". Of course there are the other shots to show the "real" model, but come on, they just will judge the beauty shots because they look better and people like good pics.

Why not authorize photoshop touch-ups or paintover in this case ? A lot of games use this for advertisement, and then you are desapointed by the real ingame render...

Even Marmoset is a kind of cheat imo ^^. Everything is always beautiful in this. But you can do the same in UDK if you know some tweaks.

Xoliul Shader and 3Point shader are free I think and permit to have a realtime render in Max and Maya viewports. And they are not hard to use.

Ok now I shut up and get back to finish my character ^^. I'll have the time to do some pedestal and correct the spec.

EDIT : SharDCG, I think I was wrong when I said that. I was SURE that they said "realtime render". It was so logical for me, as it's a videogame character. But it seams I was wrong, my bad. I think it's called an assumption ^^.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    JERIX wrote: »
    Hi!... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mental ray and V ray are rendering tools and it can also do real time rendering... for all I know shaders are map placement and a material map mixer... and Marmoset rendering tool it's also like Mental-ray and V-ray (I think?), but in a simplified set up for your material shaders and lighting system, so it's friendly use, unlike V-ray you have to set up everything from lighting to rendering on your commercial 3d software.

I think mixamo already explained that you can render your work however way you want it or whatever rendering tools you can use, as long as you only use the corresponding maps on the material shaders ( dif, spec, norm, glow, alpha, )... I think you can still use Mental-ray and V-ray for rendering, because it is for the Final Beauty shot Rendering purposes.

no Mental Ray and V Ray can´t do realtime rendering.
    and no marmoset is not like mental ray.
    do not use Mental Ray or V Ray.
    END
  • JERIX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah! It maybe different, but still a common use as Rendering tool. XP

Why are you guys making things so complicated and putting restrictions to your own work, and for the work of the others... It's been cleared that use any type of rendering tools, well it doesn't matter any how or what type of rendering tools you got.. the real point is: as long as you have yourself a nice or should I say the Best Presentation of your work (that's why it called Beauty Shot*). Which is the n#1 requirement for this competition.. There's no restriction saying do not use MentalRay or Vray and Photo touch up there, people. :(

Pls. read the rules:

THE RULES
    1. Choose a weapon type from above and create the character (male or female) you imagine wielding it. Use the weapons provided in the download link above or create your own weapons. Be as creative as possible!

2. 15,000 Tris Max

3. 2048x2048 Textures Max ( this is cumulative so 4x1024^2 is ok ). One for each of the following map type: (diffuse, alpha, normal, specular, specular color, glow) diffuse, normal and specular encouraged!

4. All entries MUST have a work-in-progress thread in any online 3d community forum. There is no minimum number of posts however we do encourage posting as much of the progress as you can.

THE SUBMISSION: You must submit at least 3 images each a minimum size of 1280x1024

1. Beauty Shot: (Posed, lit and rendered for the best presentation) *

2. Construction (A shot depicting the wireframe in at least one front and back shot)

3. Texture Sheet (A single images displaying all used texture maps)

mixamo wrote: »
    Deadline has been extended because of popular request to Aug 31st at 12:00 PM PST!

• Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just a point of view. For some people, a realtime 3D asset must be rendered in a realtime renderer. Beauty shot or not. Because like this you know that you could have the same quality in a RT engine, you don't "lie" showing an image which is impossible to have ingame, like all those photoshoped commercial screenshots...

Why bother having limited tricount and textures if you don't see the model in RT ?

But in some years we will have almost the same quality ingame and offline, so, it doesn't really matter I guess ^^.
  • greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might be a dumb question to ask but I don't understand the texture limitations.

Does it mean that you have 2048x2048 max textures meaning
    the total amount you have to divide between all of your textures, or 2048x2048 for each of the following texture types (diffuse, alpha, normal, specular, specular color, glow)?

So do you get a 2048^2 map for each of those type if you want?

Some of the wording in this contest has been a tad confusing.

Thank you so much in advance for any clarification on this subject!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Character + weapons and accessories must have a maximum of 2048px² texture set. So it means a 2048 diffuse + 2048 spec + 2048 normal and all the maps you need. You can split this texture as you want ( you can do 4x1024 for example ).

The base/ground/pedestal is free and not required so you can do what you want.
  • JERIX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just a point of view. For some people, a realtime 3D asset must be rendered in a realtime renderer. Beauty shot or not. Because like this you know that you could have the same quality in a RT engine, you don't "lie" showing an image which is impossible to have ingame, like all those photoshoped commercial screenshots...

Why bother having limited tricount and textures if you don't see the model in RT ?

But in some years we will have almost the same quality ingame and offline, so, it doesn't really matter I guess ^^.

I can answer that. Let's say, I'll think like the judges of this competition for sample, so that you will have an idea how might this judging will be done...

Yeah, it's true that you can consider it as an ingame model because of the triscount and texture limit, but where not focusing on a game development for that subject matter (I think?).

Let's think out of the box here...

They've given us limited tris count as a part of how good can you budget those limits and how good you can pull it out to show your modeling skills (that's why they need wireframe Construction shot)... and how you can present your work if rendered in realtime, Lit and posed for beauty shot even though your character looks like an ingame 3D model. That's typical judging for some related 3d modeling competition.

hope you get the point... don't think like a game developer, but think like a competitor in a competition here! :) b'coz some are not pros and knowledgeable in technicality of the softwares... some are still noobs progressing to learn, like me.
  • greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Texelion

Thank you very much, I thought that four 1024^2 maps was far too few..

Looks like I have some re-texturing to do..
  • mixamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The contest is s till going there was a misunderstanding, the contest is still going strong.

-Mixamo
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ummmmm according to my calendar its the 28th of August and i'm 9 hours ahead of PST :/ I was under the impression the competition closed on "Aug 31st at 12:00 PM PST!" Unless ive somehow lost 3 days what's going on?
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    that was unexpected..
  • Thousand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ro-zee wrote: »
    ummmmm according to my calendar its the 28th of August and i'm 9 hours ahead of PST :/ I was under the impression the competition closed on "Aug 31st at 12:00 PM PST!" Unless ive somehow lost 3 days what's going on?

weird...
  • Moogart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Fantasy 3D Character Modeling Contest by Mixamo is now closed for submission! Thanks to all of you for the amazing entries. Winners will be posted shortly. Good luck to all of the contestants.

-Mixamo

that's weird... I thought the deadline was extended till August 31?
    whats going on?
  • SharDCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Fantasy 3D Character Modeling Contest by Mixamo is now closed for submission! Thanks to all of you for the amazing entries. Winners will be posted shortly. Good luck to all of the contestants.

-Mixamo
    Is this a joke? Mixamo, whats going on?

How about this?

• greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This makes NO sense! Please re-extend the deadline!

This must be a mistake...

Please correct this as soon as possible for all of your confused contestants.

Thank you!
  • mixamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry folks, this was a mistake post, it it still going till the 31st. There was a misunderstanding. The contest it still going strong, please continue!

very sorry.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my thread, I forgot to link to it earlier..

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1658254#post1658254

Oh, and thank you for clearing the confusion!! =)
    I'm glad that I can submit!
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silly question, but do we send our work through the mail manually?
    The submit button doesn't seem to work with me.