Home General Discussion

Stuck at home rendering for work; there is no sleep tonight

Bored at home. Wife is pissed I came home late to continue working. Designing our brand spanking new office space to start painting tomorrow, and instead of just painting over the pictures I made our office in 3D and am currently doing high quality rendering on a crappy laptop :)

I'm bored, anyone have any entertaining things to share that they do/watch while rendering?

Replies

• System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Um, you're wife.

Priorities, dude.
  • [SF]Three9
    At 4am while shes sleeping? I think it would just stir the hornets nest lol
  • Nemlet17
    Polycount is your real wife, just remember that....champ.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Why not sleep?
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    Bored at home. Wife is pissed I came home late to continue working. Designing our brand spanking new office space to start painting tomorrow, and instead of just painting over the pictures I made our office in 3D and am currently doing high quality rendering on a crappy laptop :)

I'm bored, anyone have any entertaining things to share that they do/watch while rendering?

Yes talk to your wife,tell her your sorry for working so late.
  • [SF]Three9
    Lol tried that

And i cant sleep because of the renderrring
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    You gotta babysit the machine while it renders?

Wife getting pissed about you "working all the time" will pile up. If she is pissed now, then it must happen a lot. Take care of it, or someone else will (take care of her).
  • Entity
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Send that out to a proper farm, lose a little money for your wife's happiness.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    so your doing a pointless exercise that your interested in, and saying its work related to avoid your wife?
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Nemlet17 wrote: »
    Polycount is your real wife, just remember that....champ.

n8Hr1.png
  • JonathanLambert
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    It's all about balance. I work a lot, often up to 16 hours a day between my day job and my portfolio. Every once in a while you have say fuck work and take your family out to the park or huddle on the couch and watch a movie and eat some popcorn.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    so your doing a pointless exercise that your interested in, and saying its work related to avoid your wife?

haha..
  • [SF]Three9
    Wow guys, this kinda blew up, and all of these assumptions are actually kind of annoying.

My wife and I have a great relationship. She works out of town during the week and I only get to see her for the weekend. Work doesn't interfere with our time, and despite the time and distance between us we are doing quite well (gotta pay the bills somehow, and her aunt pays her well for what she does, including gas/miles).

She was pissed because she has switched over to working 4 days out of the week instead of 5 (still working 40 hours, just in 4 days), and the first time she's home on a Monday, we had some last minute exciting stuff happen that kept me late and working.

Reasonable to be upset? Of course. Is there anything I can do about it when we are on a deadline for getting things done by Monday? No.

Did you need to know all of this? Absolutely not. However, all of these assumptions that I don't have my priorities straight and that I'm avoiding my wife are based completely on zero information other than I was working and my wife was pissed.

yes I'm mad bro/butt hurt, whatever you want to call it. I just don't like being painted in a bad light, and just kinda surprised by the responses

Also you all failed at entertaining me, so you all lose points :P

oh and @Jon Lambert...totally agree <3. I love my job and indie development. I like the idea of trying to establish a company as opposed to establishing myself WITHIN a company, but you definitely can get lost and become unbalanced in the process. Lucky for me my boss has a great relationship with his wife and he understands the needs of family, so he doesn't ever demand or even ask anything ridiculous
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    There are programs that watch CPU usage and can turn off machine or do some other function (beep?). So you could do something else while waiting... Or hook up a network render based on what your using...???

Anyhow, ready a good graphic Novel? AtomicRobo is available online to buy/read.
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    You heard of batch render, right?
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Dude, of course people were going to think you needed to fix your relationship. You mightn't have realised how it read, but you said effectively "I am bored, and I can't spend time with my wife because she's pissed I need to work... but I don't actually need to work because I'm just rendering so please send me cat videos." That's how it read to me anyway.

My recommendation is to read the pimping forum then jump on reddit :D
  • WarrenM
    Don't provide information that you don't want people to comment on. That's a good, general rule for internet posts. This is what you said:
    Bored at home. Wife is pissed I came home late to continue working. Designing our brand spanking new office space to start painting tomorrow, and instead of just painting over the pictures I made our office in 3D and am currently doing high quality rendering on a crappy laptop

Leave out the bolded part next time if you don't want people commenting on your relationship. :)
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    Wow guys, this kinda blew up, and all of these assumptions are actually kind of annoying.

If it's any consolation, this whole thread is annoying. Polycount - Read It For The Drama!
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Been there. I first entered the 3d scene with more VFX based renderings. They could take up to 8 hours on my very first laptop