Home Unreal Engine

Screenshots & Presentation Help/Thread of Knowledge

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
There's a TON of unique steps that each of us takes to finish a piece, but in the end, there's one universal and final step we all take - Screenshots. However you reach the end, your work can be pushed farther or made worse by how you decide to showcase it.

Unfortunately, there's never really been a good resource on how to maximize your presentation. I've read all over the place and continue to find mis-information or lack of information altogether. I'd love if we could turn this thread into a resource of knowledge on the subject.

I just came off of the very sad demise of 38 Studios. Among other things, the last pieces I worked on were screenshots for our marketing/press pack. Because they've been released officially, I can link you to them:

http://www.38watch.com/forums/showthread.php?2786-You-guys-deserve-this.

I got the word from Curt to leak them, fun little night indeed.

Either way, as I work on some art tests/new pieces I've come to find myself working on presentation again but this time with less control than I had with our modified Unreal Engine at 38. For instance, we had console commands to refine and tweak settings to get the highest quality look. Looking in UDK standard, I don't really know the best way to maximize settings to my advantage.

There's the obvious:
  • setres 1920x1080 (etc)
  • togglescreenshotmode (remove hud)
  • Call up your camera either via kismet console events, snapping to it at level load, or just shooting from in game. Here's where an eye for composition can make or break you.
Then comes the infamous - tiledshot 2, 4 (etc)

You can also call up "rc" (remote control) and make tweaks to a bunch of things, from post process, lights, assets, and settings, right there from in game.

Tiledshot is great for shooting a high res image and once you've shrunk it down to a manageable size, you've essentially anti-aliased the entire shot. However, from my understanding, tiled shot shoots before your post process chain. What that means is any post process you have in the scene (depth of field, bloom, tonemapping) is lost. Well...that's crappy. Tiled shot also kills your light shafts. I used the "shot" command and have them in the image, but the tiledshot command removes them completely. Ouch!

Is there a solution to getting a high res image out and still maintain the post work you were doing? I'm wondering if someone smarter than me (probably all of you) can shed some light on that.

I'm hoping we can compile a list of helpful console commands and tips to maximize the look of our scenes. I don't know if any exist, but something that would maybe reduce mipping, improve shadow quality, increase draw distance, make things look awesome, etc.

Hopefully we can get some good info into this thread! Thanks,
~Jon

Replies