Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Kamaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    saw your weapon there too, he is testing all the weapons, but i couldn understand what is he doing..

first question, who is he? =]
    why he has access to all submitted itens and why he was taking snapshots of them?

He's just a guy who goes through the files in every patch to see whats changed. Everything he shows is currently in the test client which means it should be in the real client tomorrow.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Kamaki wrote: »
    He's just a guy who goes through the files in every patch to see whats changed. Everything he shows is currently in the test client which means it should be in the real client tomorrow.

so it entered the game!

congrats =]
  • gurtperk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gurtperk polycounter lvl 9
    Hey all. So I've been seeing some wicked good stuff on this thread and figured I'd share some ideas for items I'd like to make. It's nice to see a serious dedicated thread to this too.

I chose Bounty Hunter to start. His physique and style I think are really cool and just seems like a fun character to work on.

bountyhunter_comp01.jpg

These were the first 3 I did. Far left was more of a brute assassin idea - almost orcish with the spike motif. Middle was a more refined assassin, third was just kind of outfit exploration.

bountyhunter_comp07.jpg

I liked the more brutish one, fleshed it out with this initially. Then I saw the leg armor looked more like his default items so decided to change it up to this - also replaced the handkerchief with a shawl.

bountyhunter_comp09.jpg

Basically - as someone who is also new to DOTA, is this working? Any other ideas to recommend? And while I do like painting, concepting is still something I'm working at. Are there also people here who are opposite and want to collaborate more on the 2D end?
  • Dr.cube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone here know when they may be adding Pudge to the Shop?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Dr.cube:
    Unfortunately, no, they don't really follow a schedule with that. But you can already throw your stuff up on the workshop and get feedback/gather votes.
  • KoRazDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, crap. Apparently, this just appeared in the game files.

Dota2_AX_HeavyCutter.jpg

Looks very much like a better and more polished version of my axe. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

I want to do something for Crystal Maiden, but they have yet to split her model into item groups, right?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'd love some critique on a new Dragon Knight concept and my Omniknight mace :)

DragonKnight_Concept_V01.jpg

Hammer_V15.jpg

@KoRazDigital:

Yeah, that one's been up on the workshop for a while (here) but I still think you can make your design work if you really want to. The defining features in the one that I linked seem to to me to be the spikes while yours relies more on the roundness of the blade for its silhouette.
  • KoRazDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sat down and reworked the axe a bit and I think I'm nearing something I can call complete. I'm gonna sleep on it to see if I still like it in the morning, but chances are I'm ready to move on to the next step. What that step is I'm not really sure, but I'll figure it out somehow. Probably unwrapping the whole thing.

Here it is, my nameless Axe axe.

7M9rS.png

Any c&c is very welcome! (Especially about the LOD-optimization, first time I've done that so I don't know if it's shit or not.)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sat down and reworked the axe a bit and I think I'm nearing something I can call complete. I'm gonna sleep on it to see if I still like it in the morning, but chances are I'm ready to move on to the next step. What that step is I'm not really sure, but I'll figure it out somehow. Probably unwrapping the whole thing.

next steps =]

the high poly to get the normal map later, take care to not change much the overall shape, or you will need to change your low poly to fit the high poly

on the low poly:
    smooth the normals that should be smoothed
    unwrap
    create the normal map with xnormals or any other program
    ocllusion bake to help texture
    texture and create the mask_1 and mask_2

forget something?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valve also suggest baking a lightmap for painting the textures. Helped me immensely. But you need the High Poly for that :)
  • crazyone
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazyone Nice, looks really sweet in-game. Could you possible write a little paragraph or two on how to get items compiled? I think there a bunch of us who are stuck trying to compile but we're hitting roadblocks everywhere :(
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    @crazyone Nice, looks really sweet in-game. Could you possible write a little paragraph or two on how to get items compiled? I think there a bunch of us who are stuck trying to compile but we're hitting roadblocks everywhere :(

im in the same with spudnik, i decompiled but couldnt do the inverse path
  • beamerdark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a model im working on.

Its a helmet and a surcoat for omniknight. Everything is done but ive been stuck on compiling for days.

Im new to the valve stuff (mdls, compiling etc) and i cant seem to find any guides that really explain how it works.

So, im stuck on compiling atm. I use GUIStudioMDL to compile with a QC file. I manage to create some mdls but when i open them in alien swarm model viewer i get "Error loading model" and in-game test function shows nothing at all.

I've been experimenting and tried a million things but no luck.

This is my QC file for the helmet:

$cd"C:\Users\****\Desktop\Models\omniknight\content\dota\models\items\omniknight\head_valor"
    $modelname "heroes/omniknight/head_valor.mdl"
    $model "default" "head_valor_lod0.dmx.smd"

$lod 1
    {
    replacemodel "head_valor_lod0.dmx.smd" "head_valor_lod1.dmx.smd"
    }
    $cdmaterials "models\items\omniknight\head_valor"
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "head" -18.833 -15.556 -10.276 17.150 16.360 22.563
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $keyvalues { }
    $illumposition 0.538 0.402 154.102
    $sequence BindPose "BindPose" fps 30.00
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^images are broken for me :(
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    with the assistance of my cosmic superpal Hellmouth the swordfish silhouette has been made 75% swooshier

so now i am mangling the topology instead

furthermore my cosmic superpal informs me that it looks like the fish is excreting the handle so i am going to attempt to integrate the tail into the handle instead
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @beetrootChan:
    Looking really sweet. I think you can add a lot more detail via topology, you should still be way under the poly budget. For example, you can make the fish look a bit meaner, maybe add some teeth :) Right now he looks a bit happy-go-lucky as it's being swung into the face of your opponent :P
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with the assistance of my cosmic superpal Hellmouth the swordfish silhouette has been made 75% swooshier

so now i am mangling the topology instead

furthermore my cosmic superpal informs me that it looks like the fish is excreting the handle so i am going to attempt to integrate the tail into the handle instead

i really like how its going, just that thin part near the base that bothers me, make it appear weak

the rest is really good =]
  • bumd197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my first attempt for source engine... Only difficulty is making masks without able to see the effects...

Also the mesh seemed a bit thin so I may re-scale the low poly mesh after I see your comments...

Don't know at this point I may submit this or not... First of all I did this for testing...

Comment it please :thumbup:
    2.jpg
    1.jpg
  • TriggerHappyPuppy
    haha bad timing but I have worked on this thing and now I saw that almost the same item is comming to the store next patch, so it´s back to the sketch board again. But I still wanted to show it so it wasn´t just a waste of time.

tider.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bumd197:
    I really like the concept! If you polish up the texture a bit especially around the blade area, then I would say definitely post it to the workshop!

@TriggerHappyPuppy:
    Awwww man, that sucks :( Though I must say that the model came out really nice!
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started work on a new item set for the Drow Ranger. I'm thinking light, cloth armor that is a bit more modest than her default attire, one that suits the concept of Ranger and subtlety. Got most of the blocking about right already.

xY0Ge.jpg

"Mistwalker Vestments"
  • radRhodium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha bad timing but I have worked on this thing and now I saw that almost the same item is comming to the store next patch, so it´s back to the sketch board again. But I still wanted to show it so it wasn´t just a waste of time.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40026553/titta%21/tider.png

Haha what the hell, man. Had the same idea and started working on it before I noticed it in the workshop.

Here's the WIP:
    C2oaA.png

Making a set for Natures Profit now. Although he already has like 4 or 5 of them.
  • ahktang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahktang polycounter lvl 5
    working on a set for ogre-magi. still need to get the bracers done, but it's coming along. feedback is welcome.

ogre1.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ahktang:
    Really nice, I like it very much. The only critique I have is that the "metal plates bolted on metal" works better on the shoulders than on the belt buckle. Maybe bring in some of the original color palette and give the belt a design ?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Just verifying information to receive money, however the whole W-8BEN and W-7 forms, having to get an ITIN and sending off various things like birth certificates seems a bit much. I think I'll just let them take 30% of it just to not do it, as stupid as that may seem.
  • bumd197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just verifying information to receive money, however the whole W-8BEN and W-7 forms, having to get an ITIN and sending off various things like birth certificates seems a bit much. I think I'll just let them take 30% of it just to not do it, as stupid as that may seem.

I like to know more information about this...

If I don't live in U.S. or europe for example, still am I able to get payment from them?

Btw, started a new bow for drow... I may improve it's textures... Comment also welcome.

drow_bow.jpg

drow_bow.gif
  • 07genics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    07genics polycounter lvl 10
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=82144602
    I finish my sven ruling sword .
    637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage

may be there are red one ?
  • Dr.cube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy cow that's awesome looking!

Just submitted my item as well if anyone wants to vote on it.
    rYpMN.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=82221681
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    bumd197 wrote: »
    I like to know more information about this...

If I don't live in U.S. or europe for example, still am I able to get payment from them?

Btw, started a new bow for drow... I may improve it's textures... Comment also welcome.

Yup think so, these forms I've mentioned seem to be to get a lower rate of tax as per agreements between the US and where you are from, but in order to fill out the form you have to apply with another form along with your passport or other identifications to get your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to complete the first form. This is what steam says:
    In order to take advantage of the income tax treaty between the United States and your country and allow for a exempt/reduced withholding tax rate, you will need to complete a Form W-8BEN, "Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding". Without a completed Form W-8BEN, we will need to withhold 30% of your revenue share and remit these taxes to the IRS. You may want to consult with your tax advisors on whether you can recover these taxes as a foreign tax credit on your tax return. In completing the W-8BEN, you must provide a U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) in order to claim benefits under an income tax treaty. If you are an individual and don't have a social security number (SSN) and are not eligible to get one, you must get an individual taxpayer identication number (ITIN). To apply for an ITIN, file Form W-7 with the IRS. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to get an ITIN. If you are not an individual who is an employer, you must enter an employer idenfication number (EIN). If you do not have an EIN, you should apply for one on Form SS-4. See the FAQ for further details on how to apply for an ITIN.
    So it sounds like they're going to take 30% off unless i do that form, then I might get a rate that the two countries have agreed upon? I imagine it's not lower than 20% anyway, and I'm not really in a position to send off my identification for this while I'm looking for jobs.

The question from there on is, is the country I'm in going to want a piece too? I think steam takes 75% then IRS 30%, so it's about 16.6% left.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, been working on a new helmet for Dragon Knight and I need some advice - which version do you guys like better, the one with the gold rim on the cheek protector or the one without? Also, any other critique is more than welcome! (And don't mind the non-working alpha on the hair on top, Maya viewport handles transparency very poorly :( )

TrimOrNoTrim_Back.jpgTrimOrNoTrim_Front.jpg
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the model with the gold trim might suit his overall color scheme better than the one without, but by itself, i think the model without the trim is more aesthetically appealing.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @07genics - awesome sword! really liked it and i need to say that for me, it is a lot better then the original one =]

@Dr.cube - great image, and great model, going to vote on that =]

@spudnik - i think the same as archimedes
  • Steaky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone!

I just uploaded my first item. Its a custom courier. C&C (or votes) would be awesome!!

2yn49j4.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=82326861&searchtext=
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Love the snail! Only crit i'd have is to switch the boot color to a brown, not only would it match the dota 2 item (right now it looks like dota 1 boots) but it would also harmonize a bit better. Totally awesome courier though :D
  • Steaky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Crazy!

I agree about the boot... I tried to match the colour scheme so the boot was recognizable, but it kind of destroys my pallet. Ill try something a bit more brown.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @Spudnik - I like the one without.

@Steaky - Is there any animations for it? If so, you should show a video on the workshop.

I am working on a couple items for Axe. Tell me which of these pauldrons you think is the coolest. Mostly just the basic design. I will add more details and such later on. If you don't like any or have cool ideas how to improve the designs, shout them out.

Edit: A lot of people liked 3, so I am gonna go with that one. It was also my fave. Feel free to still give me your crits.

Choose.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll play around with the one without the gold and see if I can make it work a bit better.

@Frump:
    Great concepts, all 3 of them! My initial instinct was to go with no.3 as well, but then THIS shoulder popped into my mind. As long as you make yours different enough from that one, I'd say go for it :)

EDIT: Ended up going halfway between no rim and the gold rim, what do you guys think? Any last critique?

DragonKnight_DragonHelm_Presentation_light.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steaky wrote: »
    Hey Everyone!

I just uploaded my first item. Its a custom courier. C&C (or votes) would be awesome!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=82326861&searchtext=

Steaky, awesome job, did you made the animations for the courier? i would love to see them!
  • bumd197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my sword... :thumbup:
    Not sure if it's a success or not...

Also I just sent the compiled files which are just works...

Like mdl,vtx,vvd and vtf,vmt with correct directories...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=82513878

jugg_sword.jpg
  • Tightbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if that question was already answered several times but how the heck do i compile my item so i can test it with the ingame Viewer? Is there any step by step tutorial especially for Dota2? thx in advance
  • KoRazDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In a sudden burst of inspiration I came up with an idea for a hero I don't usually play that much, Crystal Maiden. Today I sat down during some downtime and thought I'd mock up an idea - instead I've been working most of the day and this is the result.

QLFFj.png

1 is LOD1, 2 is LOD0 and 3 is what I'm going to use for normal maps.

rWAd5.png

And this is Crystal Maiden's LOD1 model with the LOD0 hat and cape.

I finally got an excuse to model a witch hat. I seriously love witch hats.

And I just double checked - it does not clip much with her shoulder pads at all! I'm probably still gonna have to meddle a bit with the collar, though, but it's pretty much k. :D
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tightbob wrote: »
    Sorry if that question was already answered several times but how the heck do i compile my item so i can test it with the ingame Viewer? Is there any step by step tutorial especially for Dota2? thx in advance

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could somebody who has successfully exported and compiled write a little tutorial? I've spent way too many hours now on this without success to a point where I will give you .... in-game items!
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could somebody who has successfully exported and compiled write a little tutorial? I've spent way too many hours now on this without success to a point where I will give you .... in-game items!

I read in a pretty good tutorial that it is no longer necessary to compile, since Valve states on their Dota2 workshop info submissions page that they accept .OBJ and .MA files for the models, and .PSD and .TGA for textures/skins. I did my best to compile, but it was not veiwable in the Dota2 test environment. It was somewhat veiwable throught the Alienswarm sdk, so i figure it must be a directory issue. Let me find a link to the tutorial...
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That'd be great, thank you! I did know about the fact that you're able to submit .OBJs and .TGAs, though - the main reason why I want to compile is that I want to check if the items actually look good in game or just in Maya before I submit them to the workshop.
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully the Dota SDK will come out soon, and all this will soon be a distant memory!
  • bumd197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is not hard

1. make your SMD, use diffuse texture for real texture name
    2. copy your item's original qc file and edit correct directories for example

$modelname "items\juggernaut\dota2ready_item_name.mdl"
    $model "default" "yourSMD.smd"

$cdmaterials "models\items\juggernaut"

3.create your vtf/vmt files with vtf edit
    copy vmt from original and edit texture names
    put your materials to dota 2 beta\materials\items\hero\

4.compile your SMD with GUIStudioMDL
    select alien swarm bin directory as config > orange box path

5. go to alien swarm swarm\models\items\hero\ your item.mdl, vvx,vtx
    copy and paste it dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\hero\

6.open dota 2 and select your model.

And also this :thumbup:> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=82566571
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bumd197 wrote: »
    This is not hard

1. make your SMD, use diffuse texture for real texture name
    2. copy your item's original qc file and edit correct directories for example

$modelname "items\juggernaut\dota2ready_item_name.mdl"
    $model "default" "yourSMD.smd"

$cdmaterials "models\items\juggernaut"

3.create your vtf/vmt files with vtf edit
    copy vmt from original and edit texture names
    put your materials to dota 2 beta\materials\items\hero\

4.compile your SMD with GUIStudioMDL
    select alien swarm bin directory as config > orange box path

5. go to alien swarm swarm\models\items\hero\ your item.mdl, vvx,vtx
    copy and paste it dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\hero\

6.open dota 2 and select your model.

And also this :thumbup:> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=82566571

I am starting from complete smd export and source modding illiteracy, and i am even still confused by what you mean when you say "use diffuse texture for real texture name".

Now i sort of have a better understanding of the qc file, but i am not certain how the relative file structure is plugged into the qc, and translated to the .mdl. I think your post gave me a bit more insight. .vmts are another puzzle.

I was attempting to follow Valve's instructions and have 4 textures named _color, _normal, _mask1, and _mask2. So do i plug these .tga files into the vmt with proper dota dir file structure and it will be visible? Did i get that right? I am really showing my ignorance here. Thanks for trying to help us newbies.
  • Swampsteel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should download VTFedit https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/VTFEdit you then go to \materials\models\items or heroes for your normal, color, mask1, mask2, and vmt. Read sample vmt and copy, replacing with your normal, color, etc. remmeber to set right pixel size before importing to vtf.

Import your .tga using file-import in VTFedit and there you go!
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, sorry. For those who still need some reiteration, i think those of us who have been having trouble exporting and compiling to .mdl format have been neglecting our .qc file configuration greatly.

For us newbs, apparently it is vital in export you understand the way .qc files work in the compiling process. I would have fainted at those words a week ago, but here i am. the .mdl needs to know how to be accessed from the game, as well as your .vtf and .vmt. This is configured in your .qc before compiling, is what i am pretty sure everyone has been trying to bash into my thick noggin.

I have heard a lot of people asking for help, so i hope that justifies another post on this topic.

So in my case, i am exporting an .smd from Maya. In order for the model and images i am using as textures to be viewable in the Dota test environment, i would need to edit the associated .qc file, correct? The vital configuration of directory paths will not be automatically set, as there is no Dota2 sdk out yet to utilize during export, so for now, the process must be done manually. Do i follow?

So the .qc file needs to know the location where your .mdl will rest, that would be $modelname "items\kunkka\head_blueroguesmoonstonemonocle.mdl"
    $model "default" "head_blueroguesmoonstonemonocle.smd" in my case.

The .mdl needs to know where it will end up before being compiled from an .smd, is that correct?