637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage

...and we're done!

I think they're just sitting on mini-pudge until the right time. :P
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Nearly finished my item but there's something weird going on with the skin deformers. 3-4 vertices are acting really weird in the game preview while I can't see any problems on my 3ds max viewport. This happens with both lod0 and lod1 models. All the vertices are normalized and I'm exporting as FBX along with the bones, any thoughts about what might be the culprit?

juggweird.jpgjuggskinned.jpg
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    Working on a courier for short bursts of time for the last 10 days.

monkey.jpg
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    No actually it is possible to do cloth effects on any hero, whether or not they have a cloth based item by default. Point in case: [DOTA2] Phantom Lancer Feathered Naginata Soft Body Physics Test - YouTube

That being said I still don't think it's a good idea to utilize cloth.

Cloth based items require far more of a memory budget than normal items (strike one), they require the base hero to be completely recompiled and also the animations potentially require some cleaning (strike two), and they're buggy as all hell in their current form and a real pain in the ass to make for heroes/slots that aren't already cloth based (strike three).

When/if Valve ever decide to support custom cloth (officially of course, all of these effects are doable in the games current form), or other custom assets like particles and animations (taunts), then I would start worrying about whether or not the item you designed needs such effects. But for now, I would not design any item that just needs custom effects to work. Stick to making good art.

-EDIT- A caveat to strike two above as well. Every custom item with cloth requires new bones. These bones need to be added to the skeleton of the base hero in order for cloth to work in its current form. This means that for every custom cloth item added the hero needs at least one more extra bone, in most cases 4-5 is probably more accurate (at least). The Source engine (StudioMDL) has a hard limit on the number of bones a .SMD can make use of. This is 128 (Dota NPCs in-game also have a limit of 52). The average dota hero already uses around 60 bones for their stock skeleton and items, some more some less. (You see the issue here right?)

Mark, unfortunately that video is from early October; During the contest, I noted that it stopped working in late October/early November. If possible can you update your test client and re-attempt it (maybe even ingame)?
  • walt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this evening's work.. 250 tris and 258x128 is kicking my ass.. will redo the texture when i find some time.

mask_1.jpg
  • darkartsofneko
    CM_ArcticFox_Arms_zpsf4563d9b.png
    I'm super excited! I finally got it to import right (at least the low poly version).
    I want to do some more work on my texture (and I haven't even started on the masks). My main concerns right now are changing the shadow color of the fur and adding in some symbol/pattern to the sleeve.
    Does anyone else have any suggestions for what I should work on with the map for the sleeve? A friend mentioned I ought to distinguish more between where the fur stops and the sleeve starts, but I'm not sure how. Any suggestions? Or should I just leave it the way it is?
  • deadl3ss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rikishinobi.jpg

Hope you like... onto weapons and potentially smoke bombs !!
  • deadl3ss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also have some Dota2 invites to give away ... pm me - you've gotta really want to play though :)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Haha, I don't think there's any shortage of Dota 2 invites out there; you can get them for 2 cents on the Steam Marketplace or just check out http://www.reddit.com/r/sharedota2/]r/sharedota2.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    marul wrote: »
    Nearly finished my item but there's something weird going on with the skin deformers. 3-4 vertices are acting really weird in the game preview while I can't see any problems on my 3ds max viewport. This happens with both lod0 and lod1 models. All the vertices are normalized and I'm exporting as FBX along with the bones, any thoughts about what might be the culprit?

juggweird.jpgjuggskinned.jpg

You might have some bones in the waist weighted to the legs, if anything it might be the vertex influence limit, most engines (including source) will only allow up to 4 bones to influence a single vertex, so you might need to prune the weights a bit, there are some good plugins that can automatically clean up and normalize your weights
    (good god it feels like I'm just spouting all this technical jargen, are these really the bloody terms we use? no wonder people are so confused about the work we do.)
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    You might have some bones in the waist weighted to the legs, if anything it might be the vertex influence limit, most engines (including source) will only allow up to 4 bones to influence a single vertex, so you might need to prune the weights a bit, there are some good plugins that can automatically clean up and normalize your weights
    (good god it feels like I'm just spouting all this technical jargen, are these really the bloody terms we use? no wonder people are so confused about the work we do.)

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm using 4 bones at max and it's really hard for me to deform the cloth correctly without the help of those 4 bones. I tried something else today; exported as SMD and look what happened this time:

juggweird2.jpg

I would be really relieved if this is a problem with juggernaut's qc and can be fixed.
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    keenWARD_test - YouTube

This is the ward working in game with the alpha's turned on. There is a problem where the game loads default frame counts for the item I replaced. In the preview screen it works fine, but in game it causes it to reset after a short duration. I don't know of a way to correct that issue since I believe its coded into the game and does rely on a script that I can edit. This happens with all of the animations. You can get an idea of what it will look like animated in game.

Also, PANDA!

This is awesome! Great job dude.

My feedback might come a little too late since you are probably finished but instead of coming out of the bushes which occupies so much horizontal space he could instead come out of a mole hole.

But its cool as it is :)
  • walt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mask_2.jpg

small update on the texture.. feedback is very welcome!
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Ok, it seems the issue was because of the limit on the number of bones that can effect a single vertex. I hacked the weights so that any vertex is effected by 3 bones at most. It's not ideal but works fine at the moment. I will update the models if his settings allow more than 3 bones in the future.

Here's the result:

Hakama of Thousand Faces

BBE819ED27F757ADD9D2BD062AB9903D0EAD84D5
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Ok, it seems the issue was because of the limit on the number of bones that can effect a single vertex. I hacked the weights so that any vertex is effected by 3 bones at most. It's not ideal but works fine at the moment. I will update the models if his settings allow more than 3 bones in the future.

Here's the result:

Hakama of Thousand Faces

That looks great man! Have you considered making it a set? or just a stand alone item?
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    good work marul! cool idea and nice execution!
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    That looks great man! Have you considered making it a set? or just a stand alone item?

Thanks a lot. I wanted to make another piece replacing the fur because it's really bugging me, but I'm not very sure. There is an awful lot of Juggernaut masks and swords around so I don't want to lower my chances to get in the game. What do you suggest?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot. I wanted to make another piece replacing the fur because it's really bugging me, but I'm not very sure. There is an awful lot of Juggernaut masks and swords around so I don't want to lower my chances to get in the game. What do you suggest?

You know what would be really awesome, a juggernaut healing ward. I think there is only one of them in the game at the moment and is an item that is overlooked on him.
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10

Here's the result:

Hakama of Thousand Faces

That actually looks a lot like the pants I was making for a set!
    Oh well; I'll think of something new. Good work on it though.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Chipping away at the textures, any C&C more than welcome!

iQjguIdWvsmnn.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

Here's the result:

Hakama of Thousand Faces

Great work Marul

and about your issue here is a better explanation of it

"Each vert can have 3 influences maximum. Also the compiler will throw away very small weights as well, which I believe is defined as anything below .1"

you were right about the 3 bones =]
  • Sashera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all!
    So a little while back Eleryn posted a new idea for a TA set, as we worked on the first one together we both really want to try and make a set thats going to work well for the DotA store (and for myself who wants to come up with a functional idea so i can move onto other heroes with more confidence!)

She posted a screencap of the idea she had at that point:
    Eleryn wrote: »
    Hey guys, you might remember me from a while ago. Probably not, I never did very much.

Well, I'm back! With a vengeance! The polycount contest left me a little disheartened, frankly. I felt kind of un-motivated throughout and especially after, I couldn't find the will to make something when I knew it'd just be buried under all the professional talent that came in with the contest. I feel as if my original weapon just got accepted by pure luck of being early.

But anyway.

I've finally decided I should continue to work, because failing if anything has made me want to improve. Here's my new concept (Yes, Templar assasin AGAIN! 3 failed sets, and I'm back!) I really like her as a hero and I still super enjoy playing her and would love some of my own items for her :)

But yeah, tell me what you think.

QhIrf0N.jpg

And iv honestly just been procrastinating, but also sitting on the idea a little bit, and this morning I managed to get my thoughts out "on to paper" so to speak and this is what iv come up with:

TA%20Concept%20WIP12.jpg

the 3 variations are due to Eleryns concerns about her being too symetrical, but I thought id post here and get some feedback from multiple sources before I go on to do the side and back shots :)

Unfortunatly its significantly different to Eleryn's origional idea ^^; but im hoping that we can keep tweaking untill we find something were both happy with :)
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    oDD wrote: »
    Working on a courier for short bursts of time for the last 10 days.

monkey.jpg

This looks fantastic!
    How did you create that hair on his arms? what's your process?
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Waky waky, eggs & baky!

dp_wip_04.jpg
  • deadl3ss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRO your prophet looks amazeballs !!! I will buy the set for sure.. !!

Check out ma new weapon for riki here

rikishinobiv05.jpg

topic here

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1766771#post1766771
  • Jackson31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackson31 polygon
    I tried a few things;
    -Made the flying variant have only 2 large wings, reduced the size of the other 2 (since Puck has 8 wings, I thought making this one look like a 2 winged creature would help seperate it)
    -Changed the colors from the Puck blue/purple palette to a more teal/green theme
    faerie_dragon_courier3.jpg
  • Jackson31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackson31 polygon
    motenai wrote: »
    Waky waky, eggs & baky!

Wow Motenai, that looks amazing, can't wait to see it finished!
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Okay... I stole some time to work on this today... I couldn't help myself...

SirenCrabBlockin.jpg

So, I blocked everything in. I'll have to refine and detail the forms whenever I get the chance.
  • K-PAX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    motenai wrote: »
    Waky waky, eggs & baky!

dp_wip_04.jpg

wow nice~ :thumbup:
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    It seems like the workshop is being changed and more characters appear as an option in the filters.
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina wrote: »
    It seems like the workshop is being changed and more characters appear as an option in the filters.

I noticed that as well. As I recall Tinker was in all caps and Outworld Destroyer/Devourer was on there twice.

The Dota 2 workshop also doesn't appear to me under the workshop tab very often. I have to go in manually from my workshop files or on a web browser.

Edit: The workshop is currently down for me. Interesting.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient Apparition, Bane, Clockwerk, Earthshaker, Enigma, Gyrocopter, Jakiro, Lifestealer, Luna, Magnus, Medusa, Night Stalker, Puck, Shadow Fiend, Timbersaw, Tinker, Tiny, Treant Protector, Troll Warlord, Vengeful Spirit, Viper, Visage, Wisp, Zeus.

Were all "added" but I think they're just creating tags for all the future heroes instead of just adding them as they get implemented.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Wow really some great work being posted!

@Motenai that is looking great, can't wait to see that finished.
    @Deadless, great weapon design, I only think there's a lot of detail on there which could make the weapon pretty noisy. Especially for riki, Riki's weapon is pretty small.

I did some work on my plant ward, far from finished but here's a preview.
    Also couldn't help myself making a concept for Tiny, I just love playing with that character, although it's pretty hard without good teammates :)

bX9etPs.jpg

ZY9bB2f.jpg
  • kennynz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey i making weapon or other items glow is just simply do it in Material tab in blender ?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero wrote: »
    Okay... I stole some time to work on this today... I couldn't help myself...

SirenCrabBlockin.jpg

So, I blocked everything in. I'll have to refine and detail the forms whenever I get the chance.

1352329875509.jpg
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient Apparition, Bane, Clockwerk, Earthshaker, Enigma, Gyrocopter, Jakiro, Lifestealer, Luna, Magnus, Medusa, Night Stalker, Puck, Shadow Fiend, Timbersaw, Tinker, Tiny, Treant Protector, Troll Warlord, Vengeful Spirit, Viper, Visage, Wisp, Zeus.

Were all "added" but I think they're just creating tags for all the future heroes instead of just adding them as they get implemented.

Vengeful Spirit !!!! YAY <3
  • Plant
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a back for Juggernaut.
    Model is done except for some fine tweaking, now I just need to clean up textures and normals.

83joJkx.png
    Rk0xB3Z.png

Kinda generic. Was planning a whole set but looking through the workshop I already saw some pants/masks this would work with.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    + "Ancient Slithereen Basher" "1"
    + "Chained Snatcher" "1"
    + "Empowering Elements" "1"
    + "Crimson Riptide" "1"
    + "Golden Riptide" "1"
    + "Chained Chopper" "1"
    + "Maw of the Devourer" "1"
    + "The Corrupted Shard" "1"
    + "Hellgazer" "1"
    + "Black Pool Watcher" "1"
    + "Finblade" "1"

These are also listed, but I don't think they are all in there.

+ "Fearless Badger" "1"
    + "Stumpy - Nature's Attendant" "1"
    + "Trusty Mountain Yak" "1"
    + "Enduring War Dog" "1"
    + "Mighty Boar" "1"
    + "Morok's Mechanical Mediary" "1"
    + "Skip the Delivery Frog" "1"
    + "Speed Demon" "1"
    + "Tickled Tegu" "1"
    + "Baby Roshan" "1"
    + "Prismatic Drake" "1"
    + "Na'Vi's Weaselcrow" "1"
    + "Cluckles the Brave" "1"

Items in the Lotus Chest.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit! I got three items in one chest O_O

Congrats to everyone else!
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations for the chests entries!
    Jesus Bronto, you filthy rich bastard! :P
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Not bad Bronto, not bad :)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, Thanks!

Congrats to you! They didn't waste any time getting your Kunkka sword into the game, Nannou - what was that, two days?
  • eastblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadl3ss wrote: »

rikishinobiv05.jpg

topic here

That's a bit waste if it's for riki. His wep model is pretty small. The sage and yasha one barely stands out.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadl3ss wrote: »

rikishinobiv05.jpg

topic here

reverse one side of them to make it asymmetrical and make it for Phantom Assassin! It would be a great success!
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, Thanks!

Congrats to you! They didn't waste any time getting your Kunkka sword into the game, Nannou - what was that, two days?

Yep, that was pretty fast and well deserved. Really nice sword!
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    Working on a back for Juggernaut.
    Model is done except for some fine tweaking, now I just need to clean up textures and normals.

83joJkx.png
    Rk0xB3Z.png

Kinda generic. Was planning a whole set but looking through the workshop I already saw some pants/masks this would work with.

Nice change with the shoulderpads and the katanas, I like it. I would suggest working a bit more on the shoulderpad textures to get a better fitting pattern and maybe try some color variations with the chest-wrap-thing ;)
  • deadl3ss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rikishinobitest.jpg

Getting THERE !!!
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    our tide ward is in the schema! yaaay!

conceptifying a chaos knight set with vlad

1YNpb
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Holy shit! I got three items in one chest O_O

Congrats to everyone else!

omg bronto! i was happy for a single ward on it...

hehehe congrats!!!

and once we had some extreme quick accepted item, Nannou´s sword was submitted like 2 days ago =]

beer time today! we have some itens getting in and the chicken! =]