Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice wings! Who ever made them, but are they for real? The filesize seems a bit low, or is it just a particle effect? If so how the hell did he get it to work ingame? :) I'm not convinced by the screenshot, to me it looks like a PS mock-up. Like the idea nonetheless.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=120590965
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just noticed that my Dazzle set is no longer available for sale on the Dota 2 store.

Anyone have any idea how to contact Valve about why this is? I haven't gotten any emails from them explaining why it's been taken down.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    It's a known bug, the store's been weird for a while.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, right. So it will just come back at some point? I was starting to panick.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it will, don't worry. The shuriken from my set is gone, too (or was, I haven't checked recently).

It should be back soon, I think.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Paskie wrote: »
    Nice wings! Who ever made them, but are they for real? The filesize seems a bit low, or is it just a particle effect? If so how the hell did he get it to work ingame? :) I'm not convinced by the screenshot, to me it looks like a PS mock-up. Like the idea nonetheless.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=120590965
    This is just one bad photoshop job
    shoop.jpg
    Notice the smudged edges, visible, bright outline around the wings, lighting mismatch and extensive blurring of the whole screenshot. Anyway his original wings are way cooler.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    I'm surprised it its still kicking around on the workshop, and getting votes

illidan-stormrage-downfall.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    hoo boy. would anyone mind throwing me some topology pointers?

trying to model the bottom right set of wings heredarkflight2_zps329e898b.jpg

but so far i've only made a reallly clumsy tracing of it. also exceeds the budget at the moment.

1QzF2
    not sure if i should start by extruding planes or sticking a bunch of boxes together or something

@workshop shenanigans : why on earth is it tagged polycount. and what exactly did he expect valve to do with whatever he uploaded? weird, weird, weird.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what i thought.
    Aha! Illidan! I knew i had seen those wings from somewhere else.
    Would be nice if Valve just moved this to the trash : /

5,162 vistors and 893 votes, kind of messes up the system with these fake items.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

but so far i've only made a reallly clumsy tracing of it. also exceeds the budget at the moment.

1QzF2
    not sure if i should start by extruding planes or sticking a bunch of boxes together or something

@workshop shenanigans : why on earth is it tagged polycount. and what exactly did he expect valve to do with whatever he uploaded? weird, weird, weird.
    I would've started out like this:
    start.jpg

Anyway, can't i just model it?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Workshop sehanigans? Can someone fill me in?

EDIT: Duh, I'm being stupid.

I'm not sure what he's expecting anyway, valve doesn't buy ideas..
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    I'm surprised it its still kicking around on the workshop, and getting votes

illidan-stormrage-downfall.jpg

LoL busted! :D
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121798710&searchtext=

just saw this beautiful thing in the workshop. kinda depressed now
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    LoL busted! :D
    he's also blocking anyone trying to open the truth. Good thing i reported that submission before that. Anyway, it's not like valve never check the submissions, what did he expect?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he's also blocking anyone trying to open the truth. Good thing i reported that submission before that. Anyway, it's not like valve never check the submissions, what did he expect?
    I don't know if you saw it but he posted a Mirana mount around the same time which was just another bad photomanip of Mirana on a Spectral Tiger from WoW which has since been removed, guess the SF wings weren't as offensive.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18

Well anyway i doubt that if it was a real object it had a chance...the idea is cool but the silouette of the character changes way too much imho
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soooo,
    After a long time I'm back.
    Give me your feedback this will be part of a set, I'll change the color scheme
    that's just a concept modeling
    show1.jpg
    BTW I really liked Obsidian Something wings
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Largs wrote: »
    Soooo,
    After a long time I'm back.
    Give me your feedback this will be part of a set, I'll change the color scheme
    that's just a concept modeling
    show1.jpg
    BTW I really liked Obsidian Something wings

I really like it, but something to consider, possibly experimenting with making the horns a bit larger and more apparent from the in-game perspective.
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it, but something to consider, possibly experimenting with making the horns a bit larger and more apparent from the in-game perspective.

I'm afraid it will conflict with his cape :S
    Forget those white things
    show2.jpg
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    really nice set

do you have pictures in game? would be nice to see it there

Yup! Here is the current state. I'm fairly sure that the portrait in the workshop is stretched for some reason, must be a bug. (comparison below)

ibfXMm19Sa9ZTo.jpg

So you know that moment where you think you're done and then you feel like maybe something could be better? So I did some paintovers and started to hate myself because I want to redo the shoulders LOL Maybe I'll take the steam approach and ask for community opinion? What do you guys think?

Out of the 3 paintovers...
    Left, Middle or right(current/stay the same)?

idUMlyYbhWNse.jpg
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    finished it ) check out the video for animations
    T8ewJDo.jpg
  • rzr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rzr
    Hello everyone. Im working with Blender and i have one question about bones. As i can see, the right way to make my model act like, for example, Rikimaru's tail and save it's animation is to bind different parts of my model to different bones. How can i do it? I hope someone will answer me. Cheers!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest wrote: »
    Yup! Here is the current state. I'm fairly sure that the portrait in the workshop is stretched for some reason, must be a bug. (comparison below)

ibfXMm19Sa9ZTo.jpg

So you know that moment where you think you're done and then you feel like maybe something could be better? So I did some paintovers and started to hate myself because I want to redo the shoulders LOL Maybe I'll take the steam approach and ask for community opinion? What do you guys think?

idUMlyYbhWNse.jpg

Post it on reddit, you'll find out which the community wants in about 10 minutes. haha :poly124:

Me, personally, I like the left and middle ones, although the left one might be a bit too much. The middle is that nice middle ground where it isn't too much, and isn't too little. Coming along very nicely though!
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the support guys!

artquest - nice work! i like the middle or right option.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14

1QzF2

Build one Primary feather, duplicate. Rinse and repeat. Make highpoly.

Then retopo that to make you low :D
  • darkartsofneko
    @artquest: I also prefer the middle one, I think it adds a bit more flair the the item set, but doesn't go overboard

Also, I had a question about polycounts. I know that all the requirements list them in tris, I'm working with 3ds max and was wondering if there was a way to figure out how many triangles my piece would have so I can make sure I stay within the budget.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Well there's a lot of going on here, great to see some small monthly contest. I might partisipate on the next one. For now I will stick to my Slark set.

Here's an update, this is the current lod_0 model, with normal map. Any comment is welcome :) And I wish everyone good luck on there Mirana set!

zW3NIva.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    artquest wrote: »

ibfXMm19Sa9ZTo.jpg

idUMlyYbhWNse.jpg

first!

btw, looking really nice in game =]
    Largs wrote: »
    I'm afraid it will conflict with his cape :S
    Forget those white things
    show2.jpg

wow! looking really nice =]
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @artquest: I also prefer the middle one, I think it adds a bit more flair the the item set, but doesn't go overboard

Also, I had a question about polycounts. I know that all the requirements list them in tris, I'm working with 3ds max and was wondering if there was a way to figure out how many triangles my piece would have so I can make sure I stay within the budget.

In the viewport click the little plus sign and select "configure viewports...". A menu will open up, hit the "Statistics" tab. Within that, select "Triangle Count" and "Total + Selection"

After that, if it doesn't already pop up on the hud, hit "7" on the keyboard. And you'll be good to go!

Cheers!
  • darkartsofneko
    In the viewport click the little plus sign and select "configure viewports...". A menu will open up, hit the "Statistics" tab. Within that, select "Triangle Count" and "Total + Selection"

After that, if it doesn't already pop up on the hud, hit "7" on the keyboard. And you'll be good to go!

Cheers!

thanks so much! this is going to help me tons with making sure everything fits specifications :D
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sFvX5KK.png

Ahoburg working like a boss!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sFvX5KK.png

Ahoburg working like a boss!

looking really nice

got me scared thinking that it will need to be 1000 tris in game
  • kennynz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, im new here and im also new to Blender 3D modeling. I face a problem which i work on an object and got it done but i dont how to put it to the bone or whatever it called..(i import the smd to dota workshop but weapon did not appear)
    here is the picture
    spear.png
    image hosting sites

and i wonder how to replace this original model from Dota2 like this

plweap.png
    photo hosting sites

Thanks in advance
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking really nice

got me scared thinking that it will need to be 1000 tris in game

I think that 1000 budget was just a bug, I recently checked on the workshop requirements and the in game compiler, they are both at 1500.

I'm wondering what the joint budget is for wards. I doubt its the same as couriers.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that 1000 budget was just a bug, I recently checked on the workshop requirements and the in game compiler, they are both at 1500.

I'm wondering what the joint budget is for wards. I doubt its the same as couriers.
    those mismatching informations are really strange

the compiler asks for a 1000 triangles lod1 but on the site says nothing about lods poly budget

the textures inside the download on the page are 512px, the beta client compiler says 256 and the test client compiler says 128px

i dont know which one to trust...
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those mismatching informations are really strange

the compiler asks for a 1000 triangles lod1 but on the site says nothing about lods poly budget

the textures inside the download on the page are 512px, the beta client compiler says 256 and the test client compiler says 128px

i dont know which one to trust...

Is it back to 1000 in the ingame compiler, I just checked it last night and could have sworn it was 1500.
  • Taz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taz
    Hey guys,
    I've been working on this concept for drow ranger recently. Started shelling out the high poly, but I've been staring at it too long now and can't tell if it fits in. any feedback would be great. Thanks.

DrowRanger_Nightingale_01.jpg
  • poodleswithguns
    Started tackling a set for DROW... just some initial stuff. super ruff. idea is evolving in my head as i work. Probs not the best way to go about it but Have lots of image boards to guide me.

tumblr_mh0xcv8lXe1qiiinao1_400.jpg

P.S

just realized...
    WRAITH BAND

Changing that tomorrow.
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the first concept for the cape
    image_1358815804024105.jpg
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for that...
    image_1358867060393646.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the textures, no color is set yet, still trying to find a nice belance without making it too flat. texturing and colors aren't really my thing :p I was thinking to make the head more greenish, none the less here's the result so far:

QfYI3hf.jpg
  • darkartsofneko
    Taz wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I've been working on this concept for drow ranger recently. Started shelling out the high poly, but I've been staring at it too long now and can't tell if it fits in. any feedback would be great. Thanks.

DrowRanger_Nightingale_01.jpg

I like most of it, just not the cap. Everything else is seems to have a good amount of detail, and that's just really flat with a lot of straight lines. It doesn't seem to work with your overall design. I'm not sure how to go about changing it to keep the same look, but perhaps all it needs is a good texture.
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Started working on the textures, no color is set yet, still trying to find a nice belance without making it too flat. texturing and colors aren't really my thing :p I was thinking to make the head more greenish, none the less here's the result so far:

QfYI3hf.jpg

EDIT: If you read what was here before, disregard, I had not seen in game shot of him.
    I like the color scheme the way it is and think it offers a lot of contrast in regards to the rest of the character. If you're worried about the color, you could try desaturating the orange and possibly making it a bit darker. But as I said, I like the color the way it is.
  • rzr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rzr
    @kennynz

Check this video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OWy1QJN9c"]HellJumper's Blender Tutorial for the Dota 2 Workshop (Re-upload) - YouTube[/ame]
  • nele_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nele_s polycounter lvl 10
    does anyone know if alphas/transparency work in Dota2? (like for how you initially model leaves etc.) I tried to Google it but cant find a straight answer
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    nele-s wrote: »
    does anyone know if alphas/transparency work in Dota2? (like for how you initially model leaves etc.) I tried to Google it but cant find a straight answer

I believe they do work but only some of the heroes support transparency though the alpha layer of the diffuse texture.

A guide was posted with images of which heroes have the support during the contest last year but I cant seem to find it now.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    nele-s wrote: »

Yes, but only on some heroes based on their default material. I don't know if there's a comprehensive list of which do and do not support it. I'm not sure about couriers or wards.
  • nele_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nele_s polycounter lvl 10
    thanks you guys, i just found it http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1690681&postcount=242
    (by including a time range in my googlesearch :D)
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

EDIT: If you read what was here before, disregard, I had not seen in game shot of him.
    I like the color scheme the way it is and think it offers a lot of contrast in regards to the rest of the character. If you're worried about the color, you could try desaturating the orange and possibly making it a bit darker. But as I said, I like the color the way it is.

Thanks a lot for your comment!

Tried out a few diffrent things and to be honost I can't seem to find better color combinations as the follwing. I think the version with the green head looks the best, but I still have some doubts. I did make the back part darker and a more brown color, which matches a bit of the original color.

Still need to work some mor on the textures though..

9VIt1gU.jpg
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while, but figured I'd show an ingame updated version. Still have to finish the green on the horns, maybe add some streaks or cracks for detail, but overall it looks really nice =)
    EDIT: Fullsize image was too large and wouldn't load. Cropped down to the relevant part for now.
    DbxzCRq.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your comment!

Tried out a few diffrent things and to be honost I can't seem to find better color combinations as the follwing. I think the version with the green head looks the best, but I still have some doubts. I did make the back part darker and a more brown color, which matches a bit of the original color.

Still need to work some mor on the textures though..

9VIt1gU.jpg

i think you could work more with saturation and a gradient toward the botton part

i also think that the "ear" are not in harmony with the green, made a little change over it

1RpTh

you can also make more constrasting highlights to give the shiny feel of a fish skin