Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    What better way to celebrate my Bounty Hunter items getting accepted than by adding a new item :D?
    lznmc.jpg
    Swords for Slithice

a piece of art man! it remembers me the dragon axe style, really well done, congrats =]
    Starcofski wrote: »

Now to just deal with the odd discoloration. (stone material is too reflective and doesn't match the overall colors.) Prominently seen here http://i.imgur.com/JEWjG.png
    Anyone know which mask/channel I have to change to reduce the reflective amount or whatever it is?

there is a lot of maps that could be your problem, i suggest you to decompile and stud the original map and try to match the colors
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Frump wrote: »
    It seems like a lot of items were added to the game. And a few Heroes were added to the requirements page. Pudge, Queen of Pain and Spirit Breaker were added to the requirements.

If you want to see which items were added, you can view this list of stuff called the "schema" which is updated each time they update it in the game files. Here's a link to the current schema. Search for whatever you compiled your items as and it might be there. :)

Your a legend for posting this up Frump, made my day :thumbup:.

@Tvidotto - LOL classic. Also thanks for the info about the test client, im going to give it a go.

@Starcofski - glad i could help, and thos horns are looking pretty damm nice!

@Paskie - great cloak design.

BrontoThunder - loving the smooth lines in your Geo, i was going to crit the blade sections but the in game shots look really nice.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Im seeing a fair few people having problems with 3dsmax and Dota 2 import/exports, usually resulting in invisible or floating items.

I'm Hoping i can help a few people out by outlining my basic workflow here with 3DSmax .smd - .fbx import export steps.

In this example im using the obsidian destroyer, but the same basic principals apply with most characters.

1. - Import the supplied/desired .smd files. In this instance i imported the head and then body files, making sure to check Convert from left handed coordinate space checkbox.

resulting in this

2. Create your item (model, uvmap, bake etc) making sure to position the final item where desired. In this instance i deleted the skin modifier from the horns, deleted one horn and attached some ever so stylish cubes.

3. Now with your item selected position the pivot point at 0.0

4. Reset the Xform

Right click on the modifier stack and Collapse All

5. Apply a Skin Modifier, Add any bones that will influence your model. In this instance i added the Head_1 bone only.

6. Now select your Model and any bones you added in the skin modifier.

7. Export selected as .FBX
    (my FBX settings)

8. and Finally import your .FBX in the Dota2 workshop.

Thanks for the walkthrough Lenny!

Maybe I misunderstood the submission process, but I thought that once you submit the item through the Workshop, it has officially been 'submitted'. At what point in the pipeline do you compile it and see how it looks in the game? I was under the impression that we needed to compile the object on our own if we wanted to test it and make sure everything was displaying properly, before submitting through the Workshop.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rik: Before you Officially submit it, there is a viewer to see as it would appear ingame (including animations). It's sort of a quality control that allows you to make sure it looks right.
    Now I'm having an odd texture issue; I have some odd spots in my glow portions (namely the top of the horns and one spot on the left horn) that are black during the day and red at night. Thoughts as to what is causing this? (my textures are pretty much derived from the originals except for the normals map)

bdDPx.png
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    @Rik: Before you Officially submit it, there is a viewer to see as it would appear ingame (including animations). It's sort of a quality control that allows you to make sure it looks right.
    Now I'm having an odd texture issue; I have some odd spots in my glow portions (namely the top of the horns and one spot on the left horn) that are black during the day and red at night. Thoughts as to what is causing this? (my textures are pretty much derived from the originals except for the normals map)

bdDPx.png

Thanks Star. I didn't realize that. I spent waaaay too long trying to understand the compilation process. It would still be good to understand how it works, but I'm glad we can preview through the Workshop.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I managed to get my Chaos Knight weapon working in the itemtest now. Now have to work some more on the shield again :)

9BACEF5FCA6A99BAE6B0EBA8E2C89092DB5F0846

Some more pics here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=82538324
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I found out something worth noting:

Currently, the OD submission slot for "Back" does not correctly accept FBX files. Use the SMD format using the same method for proper results.
    Now I'm going to test a theory as to why parts of the texture are invisible...

FBX VJNA8.png
    SMD paM7z.png
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    bn20 wrote: »
    Hey all.

What have I done wrong... I made the spear the same size as his default one from the fbx file in 3dsmax. scaling it bigger seems to have no effect on the size :/

Hi there.I'm not that into 3dmax,but i beleive i've read it somewhere here in past couple of months that for proper scaling u gotta go to vertex mode and then scale the model.If u do it while in "general" mode,u'r model is just gonna look scaled,but in fact it won't be.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those of you creating items for Chaos Knight, Riki or Templar Assassin, i think you can expect them to be the next heroes to get on the technical requirements page. I can find them in the scripts now and it seems like they work, i have only tried Chaos Knight which was no problem. Lets get do some more items! :)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I made a thing because I like Pudge. :)

Low poly chains worked a lot better than I expected.

86508563E942A3560A2AAD1D5288BF1622D4E2C0
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a skeleton king crown. Not to sure how i feel about it now, but hey was fun working with gold and gems.

skeletonking_crown_head02.jpg

and some motion [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAUWwyQQnUc&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAUWwyQQnUc&feature=plcp[/ame]

Frump, thats some fine low poly chain!
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    82BBDF35B4DD7A721C5566FBCDA822487805C564

Redid the old snake sword :)
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Xpload wrote: »
    82BBDF35B4DD7A721C5566FBCDA822487805C564

Redid the old snake sword :)

Xpload, can you post it with the saturated character so we can see how the colors work together?
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    7A713E9FC2E591BA57AC475440F2059BA4AC3555

New weapon for Phantom Assasin, colab with Danidem, hope you like it ^^
  • Stefco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys when im importing the model ingame with 290 polys it gives error saying that its pass the limit with 550 polys.
    Anyone else had this problem?
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stefco: the requirement is in triangles. Are you sure triangulated your item is at 290 poly?
    @Rik: click the pic and there is the same picture full color :)

What do you guys think about this concept (only basic colors and AO for now)?
    RHQVQ.jpg
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Stefco wrote: »
    Hi guys when im importing the model ingame with 290 polys it gives error saying that its pass the limit with 550 polys.

You may have 290 quad polygons, but that's closer 580 tri polygons. Tris are what counts.
  • Stefco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    okay, thanks guys, we will see into it :)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience updating items on the workshop? is there a way for me to update the source submitted files? or do i delete the entire posting and create a new one?
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can edit them Lenny. If you go to your workshop items in game, you'll see the button.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    You can edit them Lenny. If you go to your workshop items in game, you'll see the button.

Cheers mark, much appreciated.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

bdDPx.png

your picture is too small but i suspect that coud be an uv problem, can you post a picture of your uv map?

@Frump - nice idea! and the low poly chains really worked, the lycan and the lich have some good chains too
    are you planning to animate it? or it will be totally stiff?
    Soldeus wrote: »
    7A713E9FC2E591BA57AC475440F2059BA4AC3555

New weapon for Phantom Assasin, colab with Danidem, hope you like it ^^

nice one! really liked the design

polis you mean quads? you need to count the triangles not the quads

maya have an option to show the triangles, im not sure about max but probably have it too

----

hey guys, i spent some days trashing some ideas and i sketched some more today for a new courier
    XPC3r.jpg

im looking for something more evil this time and i really liked the one on the left
    im thing on make him with defined muscles but a little thin, to pass the idea of agility instead on strength
    i will spend some more time sketching the body and let you guys know

plz, any suggestion will be appreciated, this concept part is the hardest for me
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    your picture is too small but i suspect that coud be an uv problem, can you post a picture of your uv map?

@Frump - nice idea! and the low poly chains really worked, the lycan and the lich have some good chains too

nice one! really liked the design

polis you mean quads? you need to count the triangles not the quads

maya have an option to show the triangles, im not sure about max but probably have it too

----

hey guys, i spent some days trashing some ideas and i sketched some more today for a new courier
    XPC3r.jpg

im looking for something more evil this time and i really liked the one on the left
    im thing on make him with defined muscles but a little thin, to pass the idea of agility instead on strength
    i will spend some more time sketching the body and let you guys know

plz, any suggestion will be appreciated, this concept part is the hardest for me

Looks amazing. like the evil concept,
    btw about the in-game item test , all the models etc are inside pak01_dir rite?
    then how will i replace my pa weapon?can u specify the directory

Thx Tvidotto :D
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Tvidotto : It was actually a texture issue; I was able to isolate it to improper coloring and alphas on my mask 1 and mask 2 images.

Also finished the horns, they're currently here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=96567166

However, the actual materials on the model are not as detailed as the original valve skins. (I'm still trying to learn how to draw like that) I'll probably end up holding off on the wings and shoulder sections until I can at least get closer.
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »
    Hi there.I'm not that into 3dmax,but i beleive i've read it somewhere here in past couple of months that for proper scaling u gotta go to vertex mode and then scale the model.If u do it while in "general" mode,u'r model is just gonna look scaled,but in fact it won't be.

Thanks for the help mate! But i have encountered a new problem on a new item...

7FcyP.png

Am I doing something really dumb or is the queen of pain bone system glitched because when importing it into the workshop it says I can't find any bones corresponding to the heros skeleton...
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaYfIre wrote: »
    Looks amazing. like the evil concept,
    btw about the in-game item test , all the models etc are inside pak01_dir rite?
    then how will i replace my pa weapon?can u specify the directory

Thx Tvidotto :D

Hey Rayfire, thanks

about the models, they are on all the paks file, i think it works like a lot of rar files, so the first one have the info for the others

what i do is:
    decompile the pak file to the same directory
    rename or delet the pak 1 so the game doenst find it
    replace the file that i want because the test client does not support customizing like the normal game, so i replace the default item
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JmRlr.png

Okay so new problem, the dagger is smaller and out of place, I think it has something to do with the bones as it acts as moves with her left thigh and doesn't follow her hand movements with the attacking animation. However i am sure i skinned it to the left_knife_1 bone...
  • kageko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I just made a steampunk-themed bow for drow, i have a concept for an entire steampunk outfit for her to go along with it. Crits are very welcome :)

blog_1.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kageko wrote: »
    Hey guys! I just made a steampunk-themed bow for drow, i have a concept for an entire steampunk outfit for her to go along with it. Crits are very welcome :)

blog_1.jpg

hey i like it!

2 suggestions if i may

did you checked the original bow? i think it dont have the strings to pull the arrow

the gears you made then one a smaller copy of the other right?
    maybe im too picky and noone will notice it, but they dont work toguether and are too far from each other =]

---

i updated the concept, just need the flying version

im thinking on something more ghostly for the wings, like the visage´s wings

15QuC

forget to mention, it will be a biped that runs on four legs

still not a single idea for a backpack... =[
    i was trying to do something different but without success till now
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Steampunk theme on trax won't work.Snip,tinker and clock use it.No hard feeling,but i beleive its gonna get turned down just because it doesnt fit traxes theme,just like other stuff on workshop.
    Thought,its an awesome model
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »
    Steampunk theme on trax won't work.Snip,tinker and clock use it.No hard feeling,but i beleive its gonna get turned down just because it doesnt fit traxes theme,just like other stuff on workshop.
    Thought,its an awesome model

dont say "dont work", we dont know what work or not

i also thinks that a walking treasure chest doesnt fit in the game but we can expect everything from valve =]
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12

For the moment, it's just going to be static. It's far from ideal--I'd love to have it animate and jiggle, but the importer doesn't support such things. Submitting it outside of the importer with jiggle and animation would greatly lower the chances of it getting in, even against the static version.

It's the same reason I never animated the hourglass of my Faceless Void mace.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvid: Depending on how serious you want your design there are several mixes you can do. First, if you don't mind a comical side, you can use the bipedal stature and sprout a pair of limbs which use two sheets of spines (aka a ton of spines side by side) for wings and a fanny pack. Second you could use the quadroped, have a webbing grow between the torso and front legs, and just have a rucksack dangling from the mouth.

Also while I'm here; which color / image / layer of the 4 textures controls visibility? Somehow I've discovered daytime invisible with no effect on night time or the standard pedestal view.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    someone knows what is happening?

im trying for two days get the turning layer working on my courier and that is the best result
    15VSA

you can see better on the wings that the bones are getting messed when the layer is added

i tested every single different combination exporting to the smd and still nothing... the ground version is working fine...
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey i like it!

2 suggestions if i may

did you checked the original bow? i think it dont have the strings to pull the arrow

the gears you made then one a smaller copy of the other right?
    maybe im too picky and noone will notice it, but they dont work toguether and are too far from each other =]

---

i updated the concept, just need the flying version

im thinking on something more ghostly for the wings, like the visage´s wings

15QuC

forget to mention, it will be a biped that runs on four legs

still not a single idea for a backpack... =[
    i was trying to do something different but without success till now

A Da Vinci style of wings would look great i think. You know from his sketches,

Leonardo+da+Vinci+and+others+who+started+the+flying.jpg

with some leather strappings.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    For the moment, it's just going to be static. It's far from ideal--I'd love to have it animate and jiggle, but the importer doesn't support such things. Submitting it outside of the importer with jiggle and animation would greatly lower the chances of it getting in, even against the static version.

It's the same reason I never animated the hourglass of my Faceless Void mace.

my suggestions was not about animation, and i think that is not possible because the original one doenst have, i was just saying about it been more believable, like you planned the gears and not just copied and moved to the side
    @Tvid: Depending on how serious you want your design there are several mixes you can do. First, if you don't mind a comical side, you can use the bipedal stature and sprout a pair of limbs which use two sheets of spines (aka a ton of spines side by side) for wings and a fanny pack. Second you could use the quadroped, have a webbing grow between the torso and front legs, and just have a rucksack dangling from the mouth.

Also while I'm here; which color / image / layer of the 4 textures controls visibility? Somehow I've discovered daytime invisible with no effect on night time or the standard pedestal view.

thanks for the suggestions! =]
    about the backpack my girlfriend suggested that he could carry some weapons in his mouth but im still uncertain about that

and the transparency on the texture im still dealing with it, visage have it, maybe studying his texture could solve the problem

i will do that by tomorrow
    Paskie wrote: »
    A Da Vinci style of wings would look great i think. You know from his sketches,

Leonardo+da+Vinci+and+others+who+started+the+flying.jpg

with some leather strappings.

that would be awesome, im just concerned that one guy on facepunch was doing a courier with davinci wings, i dont know what happened to it. Anyone knows?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    0MR5i.jpg
    Just had the urge to do this today since someone eventually had to do it haha.

Tvidotto: I really like the idea of a sinister courier however I think you could play around with the silhouette a bit more to make him stand out; adding bigger spikes, playing with the proportions a bit, maybe adding a collar to him? Just suggestions but at the moment you are the Dota 2 courier guru so I'm sure you've got it all under control :D
  • ionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, i have some trouble with phantom lancer spear attach:
    I place my spear at same position with original, set pivot 0/0/ 0, reset xform, apply skin modifier, add bones (on phantom lancer spear attached 3 bones), export to fbx(my model and bones) all compile good, spear move with Pl well, but position of spear was slightly far from his hands. =\
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated the Tidehunter cannon weapon i have up on the workshop. Managed to get completely carried away with doing a small update lol but was happy to apply what i learned about dota shaders and metal from the skeleton king.

tidehunter_cannon_weapon02_update.jpg

Also im still finding myself doing a ridiculous amount of iterations while working with the _mask files. What i have started to do is screen grab changes and throw them onto a proof sheet for easy comparison. This is just a small snip of a large bunch

cannon_proof.jpg
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto : Not entirely sure, but I think visage wings are made with particles, and no, Drow bow doesn't have string, its also done with a particle effect ^^
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bronto - i fucking love the pudge item.

@Tvidotto - I noticed on Axe and Tidehunter some of the animations had errors (heads twisting around, arms pokeing to the side) and im just wondering if maybe your running into some of that with the turn animation? the last time i selected the turn animation in the submission window it also crashed my client.

The evil courier concept looks brilliant too.

@ionic and bn20 - are you guys importing bones from FBX files? FBX works great for me when i export, but when i import FBX into 3dsmax i cant get the bones to export correctly. When your importing you need to look in the FBX settings for bones/dummy helpers. .SMD bones work no problem though, so i didnt look into it to much.
  • ionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ionic and bn20 - are you guys importing bones from FBX files? FBX works great for me when i export, but when i import FBX into 3dsmax i cant get the bones to export correctly. When your importing you need to look in the FBX settings for bones/dummy helpers. .SMD bones work no problem though, so i didn't look into it to much.
    I importing bones from smd, cause fbx bones didn't work for me when i export them.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow Lenny! Awesome!I love the one with gold because it makes the whole hero look better. Care to share what you learned with the masks? :) I assume you are working with the blue channel in mask1?

Sketching some ideas for Rhasta. Will see if i find some design worth doing.
    MWyHP.png
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Rayfire, thanks

about the models, they are on all the paks file, i think it works like a lot of rar files, so the first one have the info for the others

what i do is:
    decompile the pak file to the same directory
    rename or delet the pak 1 so the game doenst find it
    replace the file that i want because the test client does not support customizing like the normal game, so i replace the default item

i should decompile pak01_dir?after decompiling the file will be in different format rite ?pak01_dir is "source game add-on", after decompiling i should use the folders?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Working on improving my resume. 3D Artist/Hairstylist.

For whatever reason I think QoP should have some classy Vintage hairstyles. The ordering isn't exact, and I cut a ton of drawings that weren't up to par. Let me know what you think. There will be horns and stuff, this is just a start.

Edit: It occurs to me now that 6 and 9 are the same just mirrored...
    hairconceptsPC.jpg
  • Stefco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    hi guys, tnx for the feedback we fixed it, but now i have problem with the normal mask, its coming out too flat, how can i increase its whole volume, ive made the height 12 but its not doing a lot just bigger dents, any tips?

here is the texture
    1z648jq.jpg

and bad result
    j8pguu.png
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I assume you're getting the normal via filtering the diffuse, right?. For getting a bigger volume you will need to make a Highpoly and then bake the normals. Looks like you didn't put in the Skull btw, :( that ruled.
  • maddymaddoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tvidotto
    Would you consider instead of adding a backpack to your courrier, add it a pouch just like a kangaroos(like a kangaskhan). It will be a lot more wildish and scary. Plus, items hanging in a monsters pouch will look cool.
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco teach me master. Your textures are gourgeous.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0MR5i.jpg
    Just had the urge to do this today since someone eventually had to do it haha.

Tvidotto: I really like the idea of a sinister courier however I think you could play around with the silhouette a bit more to make him stand out; adding bigger spikes, playing with the proportions a bit, maybe adding a collar to him? Just suggestions but at the moment you are the Dota 2 courier guru so I'm sure you've got it all under control :D

just saw your pudge item on workshop, great idea =]

are you replacing the head right? you went to one of the deepest part of valve´s models
    the blends shapes!! good luck with that =]

about the courier i think i need to change something, i guy on facepunch said that its a baby version of roshan...
    i hate the mini pudge, i dont want to make mini versions of other characters =]

your suggestion of collar remembers me something like naix chains, thats a great idea to add to the character, thanks =]
    I updated the Tidehunter cannon weapon i have up on the workshop. Managed to get completely carried away with doing a small update lol but was happy to apply what i learned about dota shaders and metal from the skeleton king.

tidehunter_cannon_weapon02_update.jpg

Also im still finding myself doing a ridiculous amount of iterations while working with the _mask files. What i have started to do is screen grab changes and throw them onto a proof sheet for easy comparison. This is just a small snip of a large bunch

cannon_proof.jpg

huge improvement! much better now
    Soldeus wrote: »
    @Tvidotto : Not entirely sure, but I think visage wings are made with particles, and no, Drow bow doesn't have string, its also done with a particle effect ^^

its not particles, its the detail texture, its used to blend 2 textures, and the second texture is animated. Really smart to do that way

morphing for example is done that way
    @Bronto - i fucking love the pudge item.

@Tvidotto - I noticed on Axe and Tidehunter some of the animations had errors (heads twisting around, arms pokeing to the side) and im just wondering if maybe your running into some of that with the turn animation? the last time i selected the turn animation in the submission window it also crashed my client.

The evil courier concept looks brilliant too.

@ionic and bn20 - are you guys importing bones from FBX files? FBX works great for me when i export, but when i import FBX into 3dsmax i cant get the bones to export correctly. When your importing you need to look in the FBX settings for bones/dummy helpers. .SMD bones work no problem though, so i didnt look into it to much.

the turn layer works but subtracting one animation from other to get the difference between then and after adding the diference as a relative layer to the run cycle, i finally discovered my problem after two days smashing my head to the wall

i was doing everything right, but i was substracting from the bind pose like i did on the dragon courier, and on the gatuja i changed the original position and that was exploding my mesh

thats why the ground version was working and the flying dont

im feeling dumb for not seeing that before, but at least i discovered =]
    RaYfIre wrote: »
    i should decompile pak01_dir?after decompiling the file will be in different format rite ?pak01_dir is "source game add-on", after decompiling i should use the folders?

the pak is like a rar file, when you extract it to the same directory it will create thousands of files, these one you can replace

dont forget do delete or rename the pak 1 and after any update you will need to do that again

and just mess with the TEST client, not the original one =]
    hi guys, tnx for the feedback we fixed it, but now i have problem with the normal mask, its coming out too flat, how can i increase its whole volume, ive made the height 12 but its not doing a lot just bigger dents, any tips?

Stefco, are you using the ndo2 photoshop plugin on the difuse texture?

if it yes there is your problem

the used way to create normal maps is to create a high poly model and using a programa like xnormals to bake the high poly volumes over the low poly