Home› Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Firebat

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Firebat polycounter lvl 11
My idea:

Character: mutant of human and basilisk. He looks like a man, but he has extraordinary strenght ,toughness and eyes. He use powerfull symbol magic (it looks like glowing circles) to damp his abillites. (other way he could petryficate every oraganic lifes he look at)

weapon: i think it will be some kind of rapier or thin sword

Last update:

kolortest7.jpg

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    can he undampen his abilities easily?

could he have magical steampunk style glasses?
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Yup. He used magic to damp bazilisk eye effect whole life and he know how to do that.

2. Steampunk glasses would be nice idea, but for now im focusing mor on medival-fantasy realm.

2 skatches

scan0006u.jpg
    scan0007w.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder whether you wouldn't be better to have some more of the basilisk properties manifest in your character for the sake of making an interesting model. For instance, mythological Basilisks traditionally have 6 legs. Perhaps you could give him an extra pair of arms.
    The real basilisk looks like this:
    863038258_eb98df5909.jpg
    The fins on his back and head could be something else to work with. Maybe you could work the bright greens, blues and yellows into the costume - it's certainly make it stand out from the crowd of desaturated demons we're going to inevtiably wind up with.
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realy dont want to make any kind of any basilisk-man. My objective is to give him a look of normal person with some nice looking abilities.

I need any opinion about proportions. Progress:

zbrushdocument2.jpg

zbrushdocument3.jpg

Without boots
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im still trying to give him nice proportions:

zbrushdocument4p.jpg
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UP

zbrushdocument5.jpg

And version with hood:
    zbrushdocument6.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Good progress! He's definitely looking a lot better with every update.

I assume the hands are still to be done?
    I think his eyes may be too high up on the head; it's usually about halfway, his are as close to two thirds.
    What's up with the shoulder area on the robe? They seem to be floating above his shoulders.
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zwebbie:
    Thnx. Hands ar only to prewiev. Ill make any kind of armored gloves.
    Robe is fixed now.
    And head....i tried to put his eyes down but he was looking realy wired XD...I will stay with this head for now.

UP (almost all geometry is in mid lvl of detail, coz i have to save place for other parts (shoulder pad, spikes, gloves etc));

zbrushdocument7.jpg
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    his forearm muscles look very awkward to me, and his palms seem to be a bit too small. Also His hands look dislocated from his wrist.

The abs also look odd, looks like you just beveled 6 sections separately and then smoothed it - so all the abs have a clear rectangular outline... whereas if you look at real abs their shape is not so rectangular.

The costume looks interesting but I'm having a hard time deciding what material his cloak is and what those belt-shaped things wrapping around are. At first look it all looks very ornamental, solid like metal armor. But a metal cone-shape cloak it stupid so it has to be cloth/leather.
    But those belt-like things wrapping around it cant be cloth, and judging from the way the cloth folds look, those belts seem to be holding the cloth up to force it to crease like that at the top edge of the belt - which make no sense at all because the belts are not tightly wrapped around anything so they should be pulling the cloth down if they are joint.

If they're not joint to the cloth theres even more problems :/

Maybe I'm thinking too much about silly stuff and all that matters is it looks interesting :p
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora: thnx. Theres a lot of helpfull information. I will use them in next up
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 sketches of shoulder pads today:

zbrushdocument8.jpg
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'ce chosen second shoulder pad and i've modified it a little:

zbrushdocument12.jpg
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So today more detail. Some parts like weapon handling or amulet are still missing.
    This model has 2.5 mln poly now and 21 layers so it's starting to be difficult to sculpt.

I scaled boots, and now i think they are too big, are they?

zbrushdocument16c.jpg

btw. Sorry for 5th post but im trying to make and update model everyday
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next up is a little different. Overpaint

overpaint.jpg

The symbol on the middle is one of the mgaic symbols called "sin" (its dump every abbylity of character).
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Up:

-coat is remodeled now
    -trousers too
    -armour on the knee
    -material on the back

I think the face is a little wired. Have u any sugesstions or advaice about his face?

Modeling is almost done. I think there will be maybe 1-2 more ups.

zbrushdocument18.jpg

looking for your comments.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Coffee.Black.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the top of the head seems to be a bit small, considering the eyes should be lined in the middle (they seem a bit high). the distance from the bottom of the chin to the bottom of the mouth also seems a bit large, so maybe it's just a matter of positioning. try 'shifting' all the features down a bit on the head. (O_o hope that was clear)
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnx for advice coffe.black. your really helped me to figure out what was wrong. I moved every part of this face and here is result:

zbrushdocument19.jpg
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man your def on the right track.

I did a quick paint over quick of areas I felt like could use some pushing around still proportion wise if you don't mind. Areas like the upper skull could still be made bigger, as with what C.B mentioned with the eyes should fall more in the middle of the head. Also areas like the ears are kind of attached odd right now. The jawline could be straightened a bit to help give him a more masculine feel as right now its kind of just one big curve. Areas on the neck like the sternos could be defined a bit more as well since he seems to be a fairly built dude.

Paintover:
    http://ericdigital.com/po-firebat.jpg

Keep it up man!
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital: thnx for adivices and over paint. It help me alot

UP:

Face rescaled, body remodeled and more detail was added.

zbrushdocument22test.jpg
    zbrushdocument21.th.jpg
  • Exitrockstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AMAZING,LIKE THE ARMOR AMIGO,BUT THOSE TWO BACK CYLINDERS.WHAT ARE THEY???
    JUST CURIOUSE..
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exitrockstar: thnx. Firstly i thought it could be a weapon holders. Then i noticed that its almost impossible for a men to hold war hammer on the back. So i remade that for a scrolls tube.

Almost whole retopology done ( still missing some little parts like hornsetc). 8379 tri so far.

Normal + AO
    normaltest2y.jpg
    normaltest3.jpg

and finished sculpt:

zbrushdocument23test.th.jpg
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Nice looking bake, man, and still lots of room to play with :)
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First colors. Color sheme will be desaturated with blacks, browns, whites and contrasted red:

kolortest3.jpg
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im stil trying to figure a nice color sheme.:

kolortest4.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice start on the colour I reckon it all looks a bit too grungy and dirty, like hes been cleaning chimneys, how about having some bits mostly clean and adding more variation of materials between objects in the specular
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gad: thnx for comment.. Now i see that tex was to dirty. I cleaned it a little but still have some noise. Ill fix it in next up

im testing different color sheme (better ?):

kolor7.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah I think thats looking a bit better, you really should get those arms posed they are in quite an unnatural pose right now, try and do that with your arms its hard to get your hands so that your palms are flat to the front like that...not sure how well it will work when you pose this, probably should have changed the angle of those hands from the beginning
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnx for comment:

I tested the rig and i think it was ok.

UP (still some areas on texture missing):

kolortest7.jpg
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prabobly the next up will be the last finished screen.

but for now up with rig (still texture undone):

kolor16.jpg
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    the pose is still pretty boring, maybe rotate the head, so he looks towards the viewer and creates some tension..
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack : heh...my fast-made rig is little retarded, but i point his head on the camera. I think its now looking better. thnx for advice.

I had to rest a while from making textures so ive prepared the presentatnion template. When character will be done i just switch it into this template:

testy2.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Pretty cool dude, the colors you chose really worked out well with his skin tones. And the glow effects came out great.
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnx nrek

FINISh (i need only to translate text):

beuty.jpg
    finalj.jpg
    construction1t.jpg
    texture.jpg
    concept.jpg
    textf.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great to see you managed to finish in time and the presentation is ace, well done :)