Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Magical Girl Item Shop

Replies

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome idea! Going to have to do this myself on the next project :)

Rustic is kind of what I expect when I see just the models in place.  I think my favorite is midnight, but it feels like it needs a little pop, like the moon is a bright spot in the sky on a dark night. Maybe another bright color, used very sparingly?  I dunno, just some thoughts :)
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    Combing those studies with some different light value setups could really help find the mood you're looking for. Textures look great so far, look forward to seeing the finish!
  • undin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    undin polycounter lvl 2
    I think if you took the midnight and replaced the black with the blue from cotton candy that might look interesting. Are you using photoshop layers to paint over a render, or are you painting over the texture atlas?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    @aclund3 It was a fun exercise.  I knew going into it what I wanted more or less but testing out different themes was interesting.  I really liked Midnight but I don't feel like it fit the theme very well.  I may make something later that fits more in line with it.

@heyeye Thanks!  Not going too crazy on lighting just yet but I do see what you're saying.  I should be starting textures tonight (time permitting) so hopefully i'll have more to post soon.

@undin That could be a cool theme as well.  These are just photoshop layers on a screenshot as you said.  I have it broken down as a folder per object with masked color layers.  Makes it really easy to adjust colors and copy RGB values to other objects for consistency.

So, I made some more tests last night even though I knew where I was heading with this.  It's been really fun to try out combinations just to see where it leads.  I really like a few of these but they just don't fit the theme.  I might revisit them with other scenes down the road. 

I really like the Pumpkin Spice theme as a Halloween type of thing, but it just doesn't fit where I intend to go.  Maybe a Witch Coffee Shop is in store next?  Anyways, I am going to commit to going with Royal II for the theme.  It's a mix of  Royal from the last batch with the chair and rug from the Rustic test.  I think it fits together pretty well and is more or less what I had envisioned since I started this project.  Here's a better picture of it alone.

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its brilliant!

Quick question: how did you go about masking out each object in Photoshop?  Regular old wands and lassos?  Or did you have a neat trick to isolate so many small(ish) components?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    wands and lassos.  It took some time to set up but it made prototyping go super fast.  Once I got the masks I could spend about 15-20 minutes tweaking colors for new sets.  It helps that there are very large areas of color on this with it being stylized, so setting up masks was pretty easy (aside from my tablet being near death ;_; )  
  • undin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    undin polycounter lvl 2
    Its cool that you discovered new color combinations that can be used for other scenes using that photoshop-color-input-layer-system.  I agree that royal 2 fits the story of what you have made already.....but definitely think you should go for something similar with more of a dark story another time with the midnight or pumpkin spice colors. Like you said a witchs shop or could be any "dark creature" like  unseelie faire's, vampire or ghost even. Will be interested to see how textures/ lighting turn out.
  • aryarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    The Midnight and Pumpkin Spice colour schemes look great :) Though I get that they don't quite fit what you're going for this time around. Peppermint also looks like it would make a good Christmas theme. :P

When you made the previous post it seemed like Rustic/Royal were the most natural looking for this type of scene so it was a great idea to combine the two. :)

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    @undin Yeah, I have a few ideas.  My wife is starting to learn some programming and her first thought was a dating simulator for magical girls and witches, etc.  :D   Don't know if I'll take her up on the necessarily but it might be fun to make some different scenes.

@aryarie Thanks.  I may also change the color of the stars on the bookshelf to match a little better but we'll see.

I started pushing some basic gradient mapped textures to UE4 last night.  Hopefully I'll have more time tonight to work on it.

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I got some time last night to block in the wood floors, railing, and bookshelf.  Hopefully I'll finish out block in this weekend and be able to start detailing the textures.

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    More updates as of tonight.

• Tardi Sortan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tardi Sortan polycounter lvl 2
    All that work... I love it !!! Can't wait to see the final result :D 
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Thanks @Tardi Sortan 
    Got some more props done this morning.  

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    That looks really cool!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Thanks @Ashervisalis
    I finished blocking out the color in the scene.  I'm going to make a few fixes to some items tonight and starting bringing the props into 3d-coat for extra detailing and color variation.  Depending on how long that all takes I want to make a few extra props to fill out the scene.

Thanks for looking!
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is SOOOO good :)  Everything has quite the aged feel, can't wait to see how you add dirt, wear, and other variation details!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I got some more work done over the weekend. I am hoping to finish textures this weekend as I am running out of time on this.  Here's hoping it works out.

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Had family in town over the weekend so I lost some time.  Here's the latest update.

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    More lighting work.

• shayleen_hulbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shayleen_hulbert interpolator
    The lighting looks so cosy and really helps to harmonise all the colours. Lovely! 
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
  • jessnado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jessnado polycounter lvl 2
    Awesome work, especially with the updated lighting! I'd love to see some lightshafts or floating dust. Even some particles over the alchemy area would be super fun to see. Love the vibes regardless. <3
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    jessnado said:
    Awesome work, especially with the updated lighting! I'd love to see some lightshafts or floating dust. Even some particles over the alchemy area would be super fun to see. Love the vibes regardless. <3
    I'm hoping to have some flame effects on some candles, floating dust, and maybe some smoky effects on potion brewing but we'll see how time goes.  Light shafts are something I would like to do but we'll see how much time because I don't know how to make those.
  • mvdrocco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mvdrocco vertex
    I love everything about this thread! 
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    It's done!  More images, 360 pano, and video fly through on artstation.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PxD0n

• wonkza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wonkza polycounter lvl 4
    I like it a lot
  • browneyedpat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    browneyedpat polycounter lvl 7
    This is a really cool mixing of ideas. A tiny critique is that the saturation of all the assets could be tweaked a tad so that the props stand out against the room a little bit more. Intuitively to me it feels like there are lots of mids but it could use a bit of maximum light and dark to make things stand apart. But still great and it makes me very happy to see people creating cute, fun, and dense-as-fuck work =)
  • Jozf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jozf node
    This really great work - I have a lot of catching up to do. I love the hand painted look, too. Midnight is too drab, Cotton Candy seems to be too much. Royal or Rustic are the ones I really like. But that's just my 2 coppers
  • Eepox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eepox polycounter lvl 7
    This is great! I like the handpainted textures and lighting, and the colors you used. While there's a lot of pink I think you balanced it well with all the other colors, and though there's a lot of props in some of the areas you kept it from being too overwhelming, as there's places for the eye to rest. Really adorable designs and ideas! I could totally imagine visiting this house in a game. :)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    A bit of an update!  So, I have been reworking some of the assets based on critiques I got at BlizzCon so some of the props are a little different now.  Also, I started setting the scene up for the Vive as a test space for learning how VR works.  I made a short video last night.  I should be updating portfolio at some point with new images as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSXQszGEDl0
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    wow you really trashed that cute shop haha
  • kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kmacneil91 polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice sculpting work! Very nice use of planes. 

For the color scheme - something my professors taught me was to make the entire image grayscale to see the contrast of your colors:

When I do this, I can see that the Rustic and Royal schemes are the best choices contrast-wise. In terms of color themselves, I am really drawn to the Royal option because of the complementary yellow/purples. Perhaps you could use that scheme and darken the floor a bit to bring out that contrast as seen in Rustic.

Cotton Candy has a lot of saturation going on that might be a bit distracting. I like where Midnight is going, but the dark gray and purple are just a bit too similar in value for this to work. 
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    @kmacneil91 I appreciate your input but I think you may have only been looking at the first page.  I finished this project up in October of last year and am making some small changes and trying to make it VR compatible at this point.  You do leave some solid tips though and it's stuff I will keep in mind for future projects.