Home Technical Talk

Hard Mesh 2.1 - Visual Guide

kos88
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
kos88 polycounter lvl 7
Hi Everybody!

I want to share with you the visual guide that I created while working on the update of Hard Mesh, a modeling plugin for hardsurface non destructive modeling in Maya.
These GIF illustrates some functionalities that have been updated on the next upcoming free upgrade.

You gen get the trial on the official website: www.hard-mesh.com
Just keep in mind that the version that you see in the images is not yet available, but it's a matter of days.

There is a lot of effort behind this upgrade and I hope you guys will like it :)

Turning on and off the operators open up a layer style workflow.

Turning on and the visibility of the Hard Mesh elements.

The effect of the resolution change. Notice that instead of applying the smooth after like in a regular workflow, we apply it before the end result.

Creating chains of operations.

Select the operation that best serve your needs.

Starting a new Hard Mesh operation

The Geo Bias. Notice how the vertex near the cut are moved when increasing the parameter.

The Offset changing on each side.

Changing the offset value.

Changing the Chord Dist between 1 and 0.001.

Deleting an operator that we don’t like is an easy.

Isolating the current elements is a great way for focusing just on the relevant inputs.

Display All the input versus Current inputs.

A simple example of operation reorder, notice how much can affect the final result

Notice how the blending assume a sharp profile when the interpolation is not computed.

Moving from the bottom to the top of visibility give an idea of all te steps used in the modeling of the object.

Turning on and off the computations

Activating one of the ramp preset to perturbate the blending strip.

Changing the Split Refine.

Swapping the resolution between 0, the original poly count, to 2 a smoothed level.

Section Spans change.

The Weight parameters let you change the profile of the blending based on tangency.

Replies

• FappaR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FappaR polycounter lvl 9
    I don't comment very often but this looks so awesome, when/where can I buy it? I NEED this!

Great work, keep it up!
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    I actually forgot the website eheh.. I edited the post with the official page. www.hard-mesh.com
    For who is interested I made a quick timelapse of a model that I'm making: https://vimeo.com/220911266
    Is not yet super cool speaking about the end result, but so far is more a demo of the technology.

Cheers,
    Costantino
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    This looks super. Well done!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I'm a 3dsmax user but I just have to say great work on this. I'm jealous.  :) Now Maya has 4 or so of these dedicated hard-surface plugins and MaX has.....0. 

Best of luck with it.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    yeah.. this is very cool, @masterxeon1001  should take a look at this ;)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @kos88 great stuff! I tried the demo a while back, and watching your iron man session looks like it runs a lot smoother than what I experienced with a lot more going on than my test meshes. Has speed been improved, or was i maybe just doing things in the worst way?

A big problem I ran into was that the edge strips I got were prone to exploding or not matching the form very well at all. I only caught one example in your iron man video, when you were doing the eyes, and you seemed to fix it quickly and it looked good. Anything you can share about dealing with that would be very appreciated! I've got some high poly work coming up, definitely going to buy and give this a shot again.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This is looking excellent. I hope it will eventually be ported to other modeling programs !
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    Hello guys and thank you for the response!

A lot in term of fixing and stability has been made, so whoever have tryied the earlyer versions should definitely give it a look.
    I will update this post when we upload this version on our website (It will stay in open beta for a little while before moving ahead on the development)

Cheers,
    Costantino
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I paste here the updates that we have made:

the version 2.1 of Hard Mesh includes new features from the workflow side and some stability and performance
    improvements on the core side. Is the first cross platform release supporting Windows, Mac and Linux!

The Hard Mesh objects generated with version prior to the 2.1 can be opened, but will not react to the workflow window.
    This is due to an improved node layout that adds new features, but is not compatible with the preview structure.
    A conversion script for updating the networks is totally possible.

Workflow :
    • Maya 2017 dockable window
    • New operators Stack: now displayed as a list with icons.
    • Reorder operators: move up and down the operators to change result and organize them.
    • Delete any operator in the chain. Feel free to experiment even more
      without worrying if you want to delete something in between the chain.
    • Bypass function: turn on and off the operations to try variant on your model. It’s like having layers.
    • Automatic computation of visible elements:
      when you change the visibility of the operators, all the non relevant nodes
      are turned off, giving you faster iterations also on very long chains!
    • Reference copy: a powerful way for using same input meshes on multiple networks.
    • Smarter color highlighting: when selecting an operator from the stack, the involved elements are highlighted.
    • Global compute, but per network: if you turn off the computations, they are
      off only on the current network of objects.
    • Shader Selection: choose between hard mesh default shaders or select your own for the resulting meshes.
    • Isolate Elements: isolate the Hard Mesh elements when working on them.
    • Global or local display of inputs:
      When working with many operators can be confusing see all the involved input meshes.
      The new system let you choose to display all the inputs, or only the ones involved in the current selected operation
    • Maya Layers no longer used. Internal layers on every connected object.
    • Activate UI from curves. Now by selecting a curve the UI is activated.
    Core :
    • Improved stability
    • Improved blending geometry algorithm.
    • Improved splitting algorithm.
    • Improved mesh delete process that determinate wich part of mesh is good or not.
    • New memory management, based on memory pool system.
      It gives more efficient and fast management of all the computations.
    • Reduced and optimized error messages.
    • Added curve cleaning optimizations. Lower number of errors.
    • New node mechanism that do not block the output even in case of errors, letting
      the user an easier debug of problems.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    this looks really nice, just went through the timelaps on vimeo too. appears to let you create meshes with very production friendly topology. as opposed to other methods. ;)

just wondering - and i'm not a maya user - but are you offering this for the various platforms that maya runs on or is it a windows-only affair?

• kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    It was windows only, but we have done the porting on all the platforms.
    It's still not fully tested on Mac and Linux, so we will need some testing from you all! :)

And a porting on other softwares is totally possible since we are using custom mesh libraries and not the Maya API.
    I would love to have details on other software releases, but it's too early.

Cheers,
    Costantino
  • eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eltarbos polycounter lvl 7
    I'm a 3dsmax user but I just have to say great work on this. I'm jealous.  :) Now Maya has 4 or so of these dedicated hard-surface plugins and MaX has.....0. 

Best of luck with it.
    Hard Mesh is the only plug_in for this kind of workflow on maya. It does exactly the same as mesh fusion on modo. the other scripts you are talking about use the standard maya booleans in a more streamlined way.

When I tried the plug-in in its first version, I was really disapointed. It was slow and failed to perform operations even on simple meshes.

The version 2 (and obviously 2.1) is far, far better. The speed is very good, the UI very efficient and if you understand the tool, hard surface modeling bacomes very fun and easy.

Of course, that kind of workflow has some limitations:
    -All objects should use subdiv and it's better if they have uniform tesselation
    -Blending objects with coplanar faces doesn't always work
    -Still have some minor instability problems

But there are big advantages:
    -Totaly non destructive
    -You just need to concentrate on big shapes and add details later
    -The final geometry is clean

A trial version is available and I encourage every maya modeler to try it.
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    eltarbos said:
    Hard Mesh is the only plug_in for this kind of workflow on maya. It does exactly the same as mesh fusion on modo. the other scripts you are talking about use the standard maya booleans in a more streamlined way.
    Thanks for pointing it out eltarbos, it's very different from a boolean workflow based on maya booleans.

eltarbos said:

When I tried the plug-in in its first version, I was really disapointed. It was slow and failed to perform operations even on simple meshes.
    I understand that, one of the mistake we made, was relying on the Maya API, that are not efficient enough for the computations that we need to do.
    Plus the first version was still mostly based on the command paradigm, that we choose for speed issues.
    We hope to have learned enough from the errors of the past :)

eltarbos said:

The version 2 (and obviously 2.1) is far, far better. The speed is very good, the UI very efficient and if you understand the tool, hard surface modeling bacomes very fun and easy.
    That's the goal!
    We want to make the hard surface modeling a fun and creative part, that can eventually, if it's really needed, end up with the creation of a dedicated topology.
    For what can I say from my testing, all the instability issues seems to be gone. At least on our machines :D

Cheers,
    Costantino
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Looks awesome, do it for 3ds max please!!!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s1dK said:
    100% this. Max crying out for a plugin like this.
  • Dumbanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 11
    This is cool.  I'm curious if the trial available now has access to this update feature set yet or is that still a few days out? Super interested to try it out!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    s1dK said:
    c'mon @obliviboy , to the rescue! ;)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eltarbos said:

Yes, I understand that.  My point was that there are now 4 dedicated hard-surface modeling plugins for Maya and zero for Max.
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    s1dK said:
    The base (arbitrary geometry intersection line offset that you can cleanly chamfer/bevel) is out there - see antiNURBS chamfer. Now you'd have to find someone to expand this to booleans, and preferably translate it to C++  to make it faster.
  • Puzzledust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Puzzledust polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Kos88, this looks amazing.  I'm a 3D artist for games dealing primarily with hard surface objects.  My question is after you use this to create your hi poly object, what would you recommend for reducing the mesh to a game ready poly count?  Is the geometry clean enough to just delete edges?  Do I need to retopo completely?  I guess I'm just wondering what you guys recommend for getting nice clean lower poly geometry using your meshes.  Thanks in advance!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swordslayer yes I've been testing out antinurbs for a while now. I thought it might be a way to imitate Modo Meshfusion somewhat but the results I got were often poor. 
  • eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Kos88, this looks amazing.  I'm a 3D artist for games dealing primarily with hard surface objects.  My question is after you use this to create your hi poly object, what would you recommend for reducing the mesh to a game ready poly count?  Is the geometry clean enough to just delete edges?  Do I need to retopo completely?  I guess I'm just wondering what you guys recommend for getting nice clean lower poly geometry using your meshes.  Thanks in advance!
    To get your lowPoly geometry, you can "duplicate clean" all the objects used for your  object, reduce them manually and reuse them with traditionnal boolean workflow if needed (with DcBoolManager or Crease+ for example).
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    @Swordslayer yes I've been testing out antinurbs for a while now. I thought it might be a way to imitate Modo Meshfusion somewhat but the results I got were often poor. 
    Similar to the Hard Mesh, it tends to work better with dense, evenly subdivided meshes. But yeah, it leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Ingsoc75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ingsoc75 polycounter lvl 5
    Is this a new version from say a month ago? I installed the trial then and got sidetracked with a deadline.

Is it possible to get a new trial because I would like to play around with this more before getting my company to buy.
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi guys,

whoever has already tried the demo and want's to try the updated version just write again to: sales@pux-3d.com 
    Please specify that you need a second serial and we will be happy to send it to you for another evaluation.

Regarding the workflow fo games, It depends.
    Usually you want the most optimized poly count as possible, and there is no better way than doing it by hand.

My suggestion wuold be:

-Model your high poly version with the help of hard mesh, and keep always everything in construction history so you can always edit
    the shapes easily.

After that you can choose one of this strategies:
    1) Create an optimized topology by using the hi poly as reference, like you would do
    with a scanned mesh or a sculpted mesh. This of course will give you the best optimization.
    By using Hard Mesh you will be able to separate the creative part of modeling, from the more technical efficient topology creation task.

2) Clean duplicate the output in its higer resolution to use as Live mesh for retopology.
    Decrease the subdivision of the Hard Mesh object, and play with the Geo Bias and Split refine to make as few polygons as possible. From there fix the topology. You can even obtain all quad meshes by subdividing and reprojecting the hard mesh object.

The anty Nurbs chamfer seems to do something similar to the Panel Operation.
    We are actually starting to evaluate the effort for connecting our core algorithms to other softwares, I hope to have good news about it soon.

@eltarbos
    If using a traditional boolean workflow, how the continuity of curvature/hilight can be preserved when making, for example, a hole on a curved surface?

If you guys have any other doubt, concern, suggestion I will be happy to hear it.

Cheers,
    Costantino

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @kos88 - as far as suggestions are concerned I'd have only one : if this system ever gets ported to Blender, there would probably be a need to also implement some sort of alternative primitive objects system to go along with it since (as opposed to Max and Maya) the parameters of Blender primitives can only be accessed at the time of creation and not later. Maybe this is already part of your system but I thought I'd mention it !

(For instance I would imagine that when using a cube or a sphere operand, one might sometimes need to bump up the resolution of said sphere or cube after combining it with other objects for the boolean and chamfer to solve properly)

Truly fascinating stuff, can't wait to try it eventually. The red bike helmet example in the gallery is enough to get any 3d artist really excited :)
  • eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 said:

If using a traditional boolean workflow, how the continuity of curvature/hilight can be preserved when making, for example, a hole on a curved surface?

With standard boolean workflow, before you perform the operation, you can lock the normals of your objects and the continuity will be preserved.
    Of course, if you want a clean low poly, you will need to manually tweak the results of the booleans but it's a good starting point. I usually try to avoid retopology on non organic shapes but it's just personnal preference.
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi guys,

@pior
    We are thinking about blender quite a bit lately.
    I'm not a bender user, so I don't know yet how much we have to rebuild of maya functionalities for having the same workflow.
    It will be interesting to open a discussion on some blender community, to understand how much interest there is, and also
    what kind of business model blender users would accept.
    I mean, I can't see so far how we could afford to not make a "pay per license" model, and blender is free..

@eltarbos
    I see, we are doing some normal preservation and blending on our algorithms too.
    Thanks for the explaination.

By the way, the beta versions for all the platforms are online, and the updated documentation
    will be shortly available directly on the documantation page.
    Give it a try ;)

Cheers,
    Costantino
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kos88 - That's great to hear !
    Blender addons don't have to be free - HardOps, Decalmachine and Asset Manager are all paid add-ons, and quite popular.

As a matter of fact BoxCutter (free offspring from HardOps) would be an excellent one to look at since it specializes in the fast creation of boolean operands for an extremely fast screen-based blockout workflow (in short : it allows for the creation of squares, circles and polylines shapes in a screen space overlay, converted to extruded shapes and acting as instant boolean operands cutting the model underneath). It is a fully destructive workflow at this time, but I feel like it could be combined with your non-destructive approach quite nicely.

HardOps is an attempt at doing something similar to your tool (freeform modeling + procedural processing of cut edges), but it relies on very convoluted workflows and uses the default bevel to process edges - meaning that it only works with a very specific type of models and detailing style ("details inside details"), far more limited than what your tool can produce.

Regarding Blender communities : it's a bit tricky since the main community (BlenderArtists) can go from quite defensive to overly enthusiastic on a whim. There are however some fantastic add-on developers out there, so maybe they could be contacted directly.

Good luck !
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Every update gets better and better! Thanks for using my suggestions. Running much more stable too. 

maya's 'show all' still unhides all the operation meshes in the stack, though. this removes much of the usefulness of the native object isolation display tools. Wish there was some other way to hide those meshes so they were unaffected.

in case anyone around here didn't see it, I wrote a review of an earlier version. more info for those on the fence. tldr; two thumbs up, today's task alone was worth the cost 

• eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice review Polygoblin!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kos88 is there a good place to report bugs with the plugin?
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Guys,

@Polygoblin
    The input of every user is taken into consideration for our development :)
    I can look into the "show all" thing to see if there is something we can do to prevent the hm objects to react to that command.

@throttlekitty
    You can send any bug or issue you find by writing here: http://www.hard-mesh.com/support
    Just put the category "workflow issue".

The updated documentation is on line!

Cheers,
    Costantino
  • Br0ken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Br0ken polycounter lvl 3
    As a 3ds Max user, I'm a bit jealous. And looking forward to the possible port of Hard Mesh for other 3D modeling apps. ;)
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi guys, an updated beta version is available for the download Hard Mesh 2.0.91
    Mac and Linux are being updated as well, it's a matter of hours for having the download ready.
    Fixed all the bugs that users have reported.
    Here it is a little update on the demo model that I'm doing.

Cheers,
    Costantino

Link to Art Station page

• nervouschimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nervouschimp polycounter lvl 4
    Do we need to uninstall the previous beta, or will this install safely over .90?

Edit: install over .90 was fine.
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey nervouschimp, thanks for pointing it out.
    Here it is short step by step for the installation for everyone wanting to try it:

- Download the new version
    - Put it everywhere on the system
    - Reinstall it, this will just overwrite the module file
    - Use the same key for re creating the license, or copy/paste the hmTools.lic from the older version.
    - if you want, you can delete the old beta.

Cheers,
    Costantino
  • nervouschimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nervouschimp polycounter lvl 4
    So it no longer creates the phong viewport material by default? Did people not like that? Looks like it now just inherits the material assigned to master base mesh. I'm cool with that. Material can also be changed after creating the Hard Mesh object to whatever you like.
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    The options are being re arranged, so you might want to go on the "new operation" options and select the preferred behavior for the material.
    There are still the same options :)
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi again guys!

I have made a tutorial: https://vimeo.com/226668281
    If you guys have any request, comment or suggestion, let me know.

Cheers,
    Costantino
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello - the tutorial is interesting in the sense that it goes a bit beyond Hard Mesh itself (arrays, and so on), but you might want to create a separate and more focused tutorial first and foremost. Also, Vimeo is not too great for that kind of content because it is slower than Youtube when there is a need to skip around. Lastly, a text-based version would be appreciated, as video tutorials can be quite frustrating to follow.

• kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    pior said:
    Hello - the tutorial is interesting in the sense that it goes a bit beyond Hard Mesh itself (arrays, and so on), but you might want to create a separate and more focused tutorial first and foremost. Also, Vimeo is not too great for that kind of content because it is slower than Youtube when there is a need to skip around. Lastly, a text-based version would be appreciated, as video tutorials can be quite frustrating to follow.

Hi, and thanks for the suggestions!
    conversion to text version are planned, but as you pointed out, first, other more basic tutorials will come.
    I'm not even a big fan of video tutorials when you need to learn something, but for understanding how a totally new tool works I think they might help.
    Soon I will post updates.

cheers,
    Costantino
  • ninetitle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ninetitle polycounter lvl 8
    Would love to see this ported to blender would really speed up my workflow.
    Don't know how much time would take but I think it would be pretty popular.
  • maksoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maksoon polycounter lvl 6
    Not working in Maya 2017 SP4
    initializePlugin function failed (hmTools) //  updateRendererUI;

• kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi maksoon,

I have HardMesh working fine with Maya 2017 SP4.
    Please contact us on the support page in order to let us help you.

Cheers,
    Costantino
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    Cursory glance at the website, couldn't see if it's LT supported ( I'm assuming not?) - awesome toolset btw!
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    @Autarkis
    Unfortunately Maya LT do not support python, so at the moment is not supported.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    @kos88 Constantino, when could we expect a version for Maya 2018 to be released? Awesome plugin btw!
  • kos88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kos88 polycounter lvl 7
    @pasha_sevez
    A 2018 version will be released soon.
    after our summer break :)
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Bring it to Max and we will buy thissss :)
  • juggulator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juggulator polycounter lvl 5
    I have this. Its like $100 but never will an addon in Maya be more worth it. Its easy to use and even the  results of simple operations  look very good. And free updates!? Buy it![like now....go....do it.]