Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Teenager's push-scooter prop

ToffeeApple
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
**Latest Update
I decided to add a bit more polycount to the areas looking blocky. I've also finished up texturing this. Any C&C would be great as I intend to use this asset in my next project.

Hi all

I'm making a prop as really need to update my portfolio. I chose a female teenager's push-scooter as I really love scooters and have one myself so thought it'd be fun to make one. It's going to be a scooter that has been left in the shed and aged over time as the girl grew up and no longer used it.

My concept art:

and the model so far:

Any C&C is welcome :)

Replies

• ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Joshua - yep that's just the start of the model so I'm still working on both the low and high poly - I tend to work low poly first to get the scale and shapes blocked out.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update - the low poly is ready for me to move on to the high. Still needs optimising - not sure what polycount I should be aiming for if anyone has any suggestions for a prop like this? I'm used to working to low poly spec so have a tendency to go a bit low.

• TayAllen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TayAllen polycounter lvl 5
    I like your idea :). There's a lot of material in it to tell a nice visual story.

If I were to add/say anything, it would be that it feels like the silhouette of the brake is getting lost. It's fairly visually thin, so it doesn't have a unified weight with the other parts. Maybe adding some height through the center along the length would bring it closer to the rest of the scooter
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks TayAllen - that was a good shout on the brake - it looks a lot better now with some weight to balance it all out. 

Here are some more progress pics - I've finished the high and low - this is the baked version. I've moved it into Marmoset to make the screenshots a little prettier. I'm at 4578 tris with a 2048 x 2048 map. I'll be using Substance Designer and Substance Painter for smaller normal details.

• ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to add a bit more polycount to the areas looking blocky. I've also finished up texturing this. Any C&C would be great as I intend to use this asset in my next project.

• lorenzo_di_pietro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorenzo_di_pietro polycounter lvl 6
    No critiques from me, I find your project lovely and well executed. Do you always design by yourself your 3D assets? I think it's a big plus for a 3D artist.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lorenzo - I found not being able to make my own concepts pretty limiting before when I wanted to produce my own ideas in 3D. I still also love working from other artist's concept art but I've found for the small studios I've worked for sometimes it is provided and sometimes it isn't. I'd just like to have the tools to do it myself if I needed or wanted to so I'm slowly trying to improve this area!
  • lorenzo_di_pietro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorenzo_di_pietro polycounter lvl 6
    Interesting, this confirms how important the art fundamentals are... Thanks for the clarification :)