Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] - Anime character

vertex
Currently modeling the base mesh for sculpting a model of a character.
I'm having trouble figuring out the front bangs and where it starts or closes.

The character on the right is what I'm making. He's in a manga that has a stylized/simple art style.
I'm guessing that I should merge the side bangs with the front like the reference but I think doing that will ruin the form of the hair bangs.

Also I plan on rigging the base first then putting on the clothes (I think it's acceptable to do because I'm not animating) If anyone can, help for thinking a good pose is appreciated.

Replies

• Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I think you should model out all the hair as one shape, Then break it into strips after that is good. The sides overlap the front but it is incredible subtle, treating it as one shape and getting that right will yield far better results than doing them separately. Your bangs are straying from the concept a lot already because you have too much chaos from the different elements.
    Once you have that done you can just split off the sides and offset it very slightly to get that overlapping line the concept has but still maintaining a cohesive look.
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    I think you should model out all the hair as one shape, Then break it into strips after that is good. The sides overlap the front but it is incredible subtle, treating it as one shape and getting that right will yield far better results than doing them separately. Your bangs are straying from the concept a lot already because you have too much chaos from the different elements.
    Once you have that done you can just split off the sides and offset it very slightly to get that overlapping line the concept has but still maintaining a cohesive look.
    I merged the hair like you said. I'm guessing you separate it through sculpt? I'll make an extra copy of my file in case I'm wrong or I if it doesn't look right.

Also close to finishing the body, just going to finalize some anatomy details and after that do the hair.

• goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    Posing the character now.

I'm gonna fix the elbows with sculpting and also add more muscle.
    Afterwards I'll make the objects
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    Also thank you Laughing_Bun for the help. Sorry I didn't mention it sooner/when I replied, my excuse is my poor social skills (´・ω・`)

but really, every advice helps me, thank you!