Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SCS-8 "Arm Knight" 12 Guage Shotgun

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
ZombieDawgs polycounter

Now, I'm not usually a fan of weapons, I really find them to be a boring topic in terms of portfolio, they're fun to make, sure, but they're relatively saturated and overdone. I've made a few recently for some other project but I never wanted to do a proper one, so I thought I might as well do it well & do it once.

I saw this concept by Alexander Kriegerman while looking for some Deus Ex inspired weapons and came across that image.

Reference for this project:
Robo Recall
Elvis Posa - Super Shorty
Erik Rading - Super Shorty
Ognyan Zahariev - Dragon Slayer
Bruce Bailey - CQB Shotgun (it's another super shorty lmao)
And basically anything by Tim Bergholz 

I'd love to get it working in VR too.

Old HP renders:

Highpoly 1
Highpoly 2

And the lowpoly.

Now onto the fun texturing bit.

Replies

• ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter

Alright small update, weapon materials are hardHarder than I thought, I've been focusing on one area, perhaps a bit too much at the minute but I'm trying to nail the style. Any advice or guides on weapon materials would be great at this point, because I feel like I'm up against a wall. Perhaps the super shorty material doesn't work here? Ignore the barrel at the moment, I'm focusing on the large area for now, since it's the most exposed.
  • ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter

Definitely think I'm getting somewhere with it.
  • ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter

Update for today, I'm still not entirely sure about the metals on the body, something about the whole thing seems to be just below the quality I'm after. 
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Its an interesting style that I've never seen before. I really like the look of the handle and underbarrel. 
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    I like the style! But like you said something is off and I'm also struggling to find what it is exactly. I think it could be the color, you could try experimenting with different colors. Also I'm thinking the fact that the material of the handle / underbarrel material is smooth, makes the entire gun a bit.. foamy..? If you added something subtle to it, maybe it could help.

And just as some idea, I might be totally wrong, but maybe adding a connecting element between the handle and underbarrel, it could help with the contrast?

A worn off paint streak or something maybe..?

Anyway, keep playing around with it, like I said I think it's a cool idea, looks promising! :)
  • ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    I'll look into that tomorrow @MiAlx as you might be onto something with that.

I've just been adjusting stuff and bringing the values up to try and push it further and I've gotten some interesting renders out today.

No hands version

They're bordering on stylised/concepty at the minute, I think that's mostly due to the sharpen filter I add to everything lol.
  • ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Might come back to this in the future, but for now; It's finished. Time to get this guy into VR.

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Very Interesting Idea. I think the materials could use work, I really do appreciate the style.