Home Unreal Engine

Unlit material rendering darker.

Anyone know why if you plug a texture in to a Unlit material in UE4, the result color is darker than the original texture, I did work around that by increasing the power of the texture inside the shader editor, but this method always changes the values  and kill a bit of the contrast from the original texture, and in my case, I really need the original values to show in-game.
I would really appreciate if anyone have some nice solution for it.
Cheers!

Replies

• Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Have you checked your post processing settings, especially eye adaptation? 
    The default camera settings automatically changes exposure based on the brightness of a scene.
  • rohMizuno
    hey @Vailias
    I have auto exposure off, and locked at Zero to make sure it does not alter my values. No post processing as well.
    I also thought it could the filtering on the texture, but even if I pug a constant on the value of 1 directly in to the Emissive Color, the result will be on the value of 0,84, if looking at it in Lit mode. If I switch the view port to unlit, it shows its original value of 1 again.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    This sounds really weird. To properly check this out, you could make a post process that measures the base color before tonemapping. You could have an If in it with a threshold and display them as 0-1s. Then you would put 2 meshes, one with the lit material and one with the unlit, and measure if their base color is the same. If both of them shows up as white (or black depending on your setup), then what you think is actually not happening, and its probably something about the diffuse lighting.
  • rohMizuno
    @Obscura , I wish I knew how to do such thing, hahah, but I did found a "solution", that was increasing the "crush Highlights" value to 1.0, and hope that this does not cause artifacts on other parts of my scene. I am just a little confused on why that is not the default value.