Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chomp

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
I was watching Micheal Pavlovich youtube video on Intro to Zbrush, highly recommend if anyone hasn't seen it or wants a place to starts. It made me realize there was so much more in Zbrush. I went back square one and started with something simple to get my head around the tools that Micheal showed. This was the sculpted I made. Chomp from Mario. 

Replies

• UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the chain. I made it a lot bigger now. The mouth is now hollow. 

• UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added details to the chain chomp. I also put dent around the head. 
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emerald-shine polycounter lvl 4
    Looks really good. I love the bulkier chain and the hollowness. Not sure if thats nessacary though. Only thing that bothers me are the teeth. Looks like you had a hard time getting their shape right.

I would increase the subdivision level before you add anymore detail. Are the teeth seperate subtools?
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The teeth are a different subtool. . I had a hard time getting the them to work especially the two front teeth at the top. They aren't round how I want it and the tip of it seems to dip in a bit too much too. I used the snake hook tool to pull them out and refine them. Any tips on how you would go about making the teeth?
  • bwuz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bwuz polycounter lvl 5
    Try extracting the masked tooth (crisp the mask edge) on the sphere if you want them to be convex like the ones you have right now. If not, do it on a flat plane then refine it a bit.

Good luck! :)
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the teeth. Around the edges of the teeth, I'm getting those artifact. Do I just need to add more subdivision to get rid of them?

• UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gave the chain some characteristic. Took me a bit to get use to the curve, quite confusing at first. After figuring it out, it is an amazing tool. Love how I just draw the curve and it automatically does all the hard work for me. I made the eyes a bit more hard surface to resemble more of the game character. I'm debating on whether to make it a loose chain chomp or have to chained down to a stick. After that should be ready to give it a low poly and texture. Now I'm aiming to finish this before the end of this month. 
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my lowpoly down, 3k in total. I still feel like that's a lot, but it's been good learning to go from high poly to low poly. I wanted a second opinion on the chain before I start the low poly on it.

• emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3k doesnt seem too much for a prop these days. One thing you could do to reduce it is delete the faceson the inside, but leave a few rows on the lip of the inner mouth, then make your material double sided so it looks like there is actual geometry in there. This tech is used in clothing to the illusion of depth.
    That said, i dont think you need to reduce the tri count on chomp, its fine as is. That chain on the other hand......How many tris are in each link?
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The chain is still high poly. I haven't started to reduce the poly count. I wanted a second opinion on their size. That way I can easily just tweak it in zbrush and bring it back in. But it's good to know that 3k isn't consider high. 
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. In terms of size I think they look good. They need to be strong enough to support the weight and they certainly do. Im not sure on the shape though. The links dont seem round enough on the inside to get  smooth movement, looks like they scratching against each other when they should be sliding. I hope that makes sense.

Keep at it, can wait to see him textured.
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started baking my normal in. Getting this issue. Not sure what's causing the problem. I baked it out in Maya. Tried xNormals, but I couldn't understand the workflow in it? What other software can I use to bake the normals

Problem solved if anyone see this post. 

• joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    What do your UVs look like? This issue usually comes from having a smooth edge on a UV seam.
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. Pretty sure thats the UV seam, I used to get these all the time. Either need to space the UV apart a little more or play around with the baking.
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally an update. Getting the normal map to work took me a while, but I managed to get it all together. Threw it into Unity to see the normal. It's coming along. Now I gotta get the textures on it and should probably add a base.

• UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my model working substance painter. Still getting use to how substance texture. I did a normal bake out of Painter but have issue around the eye. Played around with the Front and Rear distance, but doesn't seem like it have any effect. Would it be how I have my UV layout?

• emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great. Texture came out well.

I love substance painter but sometimes getting a good bake is a pain. That looks like its baking objects onto of another and its causing that artifacting. Did you seperate your mesh parts and name them accordingly for both high and low poly meshes? IE: chain_link_high, chain_link_low.

Baking via matching mesh name will avoid having different meshes interfering with each other and get a smoother bake.
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Texturing in Painter is really different. Not use to structure of it. I'm still trying to understand how to add in the weathering affect and other details. I did separate the mesh parts and name them. I watched the painter video on YouTube. I'll probably try separating out the eyeball and the iris and see how that bake turns out. 
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, texturing in substance painter takes some time to adapt to. Ive been using it for a year now and I just cant texture any other way. The thought of going back to photoshop makes me shudder.

Seperating the eyes will most likely help, do the low and high eye meshes match exactly? Its certainly not your uvs. What settings are you using to bake?
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't have antialiasing on before. I turned it on and rebaked it. The result is still the same. 

• UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this piece done.