• Jaykrass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaykrass polycounter lvl 6
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    seriously this is getting out of hand , before people posting there should be a huge banner saying "DID YOU TRY TO USE GOOGLE BEFORE??". 

most of the technical talk threads can be solved with a 10 secs google search...
  • Jaykrass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually did do a google search first and thought to myself, "Perhaps I should consult with the Polycount community."
    I honestly couldn't find anything really giving me a good reason to go with one or the other through google, I was able to find a few posts on other sites but they were like 2-3 years old and Mudbox and Zbrush have changed a lot since then.

I've seen posts saying it would be better to go with Mudbox since it's used by the industry more, then I see posts about how Zbrush has so many better tools and utilities, then I see people saying to go with Maya rather than the two because apparently Maya Owns Mudbox now O.o and apparently most industries are going for Maya because Maya now has sculpting tools as well.... I just couldn't find a definitive answer, guess that's the problem with the internet, everything nowadays is opinion based, makes it difficult to form a conclusion on what program is best *shrug.*

Edit: I just looked at your portfolio and Realized who you were and have never felt more happy, you're thoughts would be very helpful.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I like neither of them.    As always   "convenient art software"  is just an  oxymoron.      Still , after 15 years mostly with Zbrush, I find it somewhat more tolerable.       Probably just because  of their free updates.       And I still  often swore badly  when I use  it.

There is Blender also.   Not that  it's better , just  enough for what I do while shares same level of "convenience"     
  • Jaykrass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    I like neither of them.    As always   "convenient art software"  is just an  oxymoron.      Still , after 15 years mostly with Zbrush, I find it somewhat more tolerable.       Probably just because  of their free updates.       And I still  often swore badly  when I use  it.

There is Blender also.   Not that  it's better , just  enough for what I do while shares same level of "convenience"     
    Yeah, I use blender as well, Most of my fear is that If I end up working for the industry I have to learn their tools, fuck I've had a year with Blender and I love blender, I tried Maya and it felt so wrong to use.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Blenders multires sculpting is unusable in my opinion without an exceptionally good workstation. My average character sculpt in ZBrush is ~20m polygons, I can't get more than 6m in Blender before the the sculpting performance completely tanks. Hiding sections of the mesh to isolate the area you're working on doesn't help at all either.

If you only work with dynatopo it's adequate but I hate working that way so....

For whatever it's worth, based on a survey that was posted here on Polycount, ZBrush may well be the most widely used piece of software in the industry after Photoshop.