Home General Discussion

Tutoring Service?

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
Does anyone know of any one-on-one tutoring services for level design? I'm looking for someone to help me through the areas where I struggle. I understand that there are many tutorials online, and that I will only improve with experience and practice, but I'm looking for someone to work with me through the process and areas where I struggle. Thank you.

Replies

• Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I consider myself a beginner at level design. I have a hard time designing multiplayer layouts, and don't have much experience designing single player levels.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the link and reply.

1) I do have Unreal Tournament installed, and I have tried creating levels for it, but part of the issue that I have is that I keep drawing a blank when trying to come up with a layout, and I keep fighting myself to commit to a layout. (I find myself reworking it and making no progress) 

2) How would you go about creating different types of singleplayer levels for a portfolio? (Ie. would you create a level for different genres?: A FPS, a co-op level, open world, a puzzle game, survival horror, etc) 

3a) I really want to learn more with Unreal Engine 4 and get really good with it. But for showcasing singleplayer levels, should I essentially create a small game? (game/level document, mechanics, scripting, art assets) to show that I understand how it all works together? Would it be in my best interest to do this for each level? (for a portfolio)

I would like to focus less on multiplayer levels (CTF, TDM, etc) and more on singleplayer levels, at least to start with, but is that a bad thing? Is it bad to want to focus on a certain aspect? (singleplayer vs multiplayer) Do you have any choice (of what types of levels to work on) in the industry? Is it essential as a level designer to showcase (and learn) both? Thank you.
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey i think polycount is not exactly the place where a lot of level designers are gathering. For more feedback I'd join mapcore.org and start posting there asking for help.
    Also check out this video series some cool tips about single player first person level design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygp4-kmjpzI&list=PLIhLvue17Sd6u2akeZZdYVBxNtfWZPm5W&index=13