Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Been a long time since I posted here and wanted to share.

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    How'd you go about this one, Josh? Are those stones custom shapes? This is perhaps the most impressive substance texture I've seen yet.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    @Makkon - Wow thanks, thats very flattering! I used Tile Sampler as the basis to make this pattern, I didnt make any custom shapes and scatter them around.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice job Josh_lynch. How did you use the Tile Sampler node and not have overlapping forms? You didn't hand place any of the smaller stones to fill in the gaps? I didn't think it was possible to distribute shapes that way in SD yet without a manual layout of the primary forms. Can you please elaborate on your process. I'm sure many are wondering the same thing. Thank you.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    synergy11 said:
    Nice job Josh_lynch. How did you use the Tile Sampler node and not have overlapping forms? You didn't hand place any of the smaller stones to fill in the gaps? I didn't think it was possible to distribute shapes that way in SD yet without a manual layout of the primary forms. Can you please elaborate on your process. I'm sure many are wondering the same thing. Thank you.
    Here's the method I use:

Creates pillow forms and transforms them to outlines and solid random values for you to play with. Or, add another output for the pillow forms themselves. You can also increase or decrease the relative "Color Random" values (always keeping both very close to the same, otherwise the randomized greyscale output breaks) to have even more control of the rock sizes. A solution I'm gonna add for that is to create a function that controls both "Color Random" values with a single slider.

Here's my post explaining the functionality:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2408785/#Comment_2408785

This has precision issues in that the random greyscale rock values aren't quite perfectly solid values, so using directional warps with "Value_Variation" as an input have to be handled more carefully. A value of 500 dir warp for example makes the resulting offset texture look super noisy. I'm hoping to work around this problem eventually.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    @Makkon / @synergy11 - Thank you for your comments. I did not hand place anything, instead I used two "Tile Sampler" nodes and combined the data, see below :smile:

@somedoggy - Thanks for sharing your breakdown! I see a lot of similarities in how the materials were made :smile:

I have created a teaser image of sorts to show how the initial pattern was created. I will be working on a more in depth tutorial, very busy right now with work so I hope you all understand it may take a bit. I hope this helps for now.

• K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Thats pretty cool guys! The results are great. I hadnt yet used the tile sampler like that. Neat idea :D
  • K
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    Working on tile floor
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I've been learning at home, and since I've been playing so much Uncharted 4, I really wanted to attempt some decent rock walls. This is my 4th attempt, still looks procedural, but I think I'm off to a good start.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    @Makkon That's excellent :) One thing that tips me off are the cracks just going straight through multiple surfaces. Otherwise that's looking quite amazing!

• MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    @Bruno Afonseca Thanks man! I'll try to mask of those cracks in places somehow, shouldn't be too tricky. I might try what @somedoggy demonstrated with the rock cells, could be pretty handy for masking out slabs from cracks.

@MeshModeler Javier! That's looking rad, dude! Some of your peaks are getting chopped off which is a shame, but everything else is doing it for me.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    @Makkon

Yeah, my goal with that was to make a rock-like generator that outputs solid outlines, "bubble" cell forms, and random flat values for each cell. It's really great despite the fact that there is some random noise in the flat values, pretty simple to overcome that with good design and a bit of blur tho!

I'd enjoy seeing how you produced those results. I love the clean forms.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Makkon said:
    I've been learning at home, and since I've been playing so much Uncharted 4, I really wanted to attempt some decent rock walls. This is my 4th attempt, still looks procedural, but I think I'm off to a good start.
    This is a fantastic start Ben. If you can get a gradient mask of your major forms where each major form is a different gray value, you can use that as a directional warp with a very high value, like 200-500 and warp your small cracks. This will cause them to appear uniquely on the large forms if that is something you wish to achieve.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I am curious how much time people do spend on creating all those great textures  in Substance Designer really?      

In my own experience while it sometimes helps to make a nice things  still it's a tremendous time eater .        It tooks 3-4  more time than  what I would do with Photoscan, Zbrush   and still things often looks not real enough.    Sometimes  take days for countless tweaking.        I feel I do a kind of  weird sport  of rivaling  mother nature  which is easily available just few steps from the office .     

Besides everything I do in Substance designer  turns  extremely repetitive in actual game scene  and no hi-pass would solve this  without eliminating the  quality of the surface.     Loved their old Map Zone where you could re-compose/ move/scale procedural fragments manually.  Was extremely helpful in solving this exact problem.    

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    4 hours:  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZPR90
    6-8 hours: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YrnwP
    ~6 hours: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/R5RZO

At the end of the day it is not about JUST getting a material out of designer.  It is getting a completely procedural way to generate hundreds of textures from a few graphs. If you work smart you can create new materials almost instantly with little input. I created the first image above for work, fast, and then I generated about 8-10 unique materials with unique brick layouts in no time.  I would have to individually sculpt those in Zbrush or make them individually in photoshop and that would have cost so much time.

Making a material in Substance is not a one off action, you are creating a new and powerful tool to generate multiple materials with a little bit of initial heavy lifting.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Practice. Photoscan and Zbrush can't touch some of the things you can easily do with Substance. But combining all those tools, you can relegate each to what it does best. Need a specific pattern for some tiles? Zbrush or Photoshop it and import into Substance. If you already made a tile Substance, great! Just plop the pattern into the graph and call it a day. Art direction wants 10 more patterns like this? Cool, draw them out and import to Substance. Those might take you 20 minutes a pop because all the hard detail work is done with the program that does it best. And it even keeps your visuals consistent for free!

It is most advantageous when you've got a lot on your plate. If you have a hundred objects to make, you can make a material library that you blend together for each object's material. Realized your dirt roughness is too low? Bump it up a tad and every object updates immediately. You won't get that with photoscan and zbrush.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    QUACK!   Thanks for the time estimates.      You do it pretty quick  with a great result.  It takes me more usually .    

One more thing I wonder  is  generating new unique materials after initial one  .  
        On my end it  generates not exactly unique  but rather very slightly different  things , too similar to be  another texture in same scene .      Once  I try to do it really new and  unique  it often crosses that very  imperceptible border in-between  looking  true real and  artificially  procedural.    So from those  8-10   it's  just initial one that looks good.     Same with repetitiveness , ones you do one that looks good  any next one could be repetitive as hell.    So I basically use SD  only  for  bricks . tiles and such  , things that are already repetitive in its nature. 

• Mr. Toodles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Toodles polycounter lvl 11

long time stalker first post this is my procedural rockwall inspired by rogelio and bradford smiths techniques
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Whoa, forgot to post this here!
    I recently finished a road/brick texture. Not too happy with the general material definition, but it was a fun exercise.

Video, flats and graph can be seen here. <--- Clicky

Procedural Brick Material by Kevin sterkilde

And as a bonus, here's a video about how to do an easy herringbone pattern. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sof5jCi4tII
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    wow you all are killlllllling it!  Awesome job everyone!
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    somedoggy said:
    Practice. Photoscan and Zbrush can't touch some of the things you can easily do with Substance. But combining all those tools, you can relegate each to what it does best. Need a specific pattern for some tiles? Zbrush or Photoshop it and import into Substance. If you already made a tile Substance, great! Just plop the pattern into the graph and call it a day. Art direction wants 10 more patterns like this? Cool, draw them out and import to Substance. Those might take you 20 minutes a pop because all the hard detail work is done with the program that does it best. And it even keeps your visuals consistent for free!

It is most advantageous when you've got a lot on your plate. If you have a hundred objects to make, you can make a material library that you blend together for each object's material. Realized your dirt roughness is too low? Bump it up a tad and every object updates immediately. You won't get that with photoscan and zbrush.
    Best response I have seen to justify substance designer.  I think of designer as a hub in which all other tools eventually meet :)
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    I've been texturing since quake 3 days, just doing everything in photoshop, then progressing to zbrush/zapplink workflow. Substance designer blows old workflows off the planet. It's easy to learn, fun to use and super creative once you get a handle on the workflows.  Even the best SD artist out there have not even scratched the surface of what is possible in SD. I would never EVER want to go back to texturing the old way. Another huge advantage to the creativity aspect of SD is that you get to see your results in real time as your creating them. Once I import my textures into UE4, they will look exactly the same as the SD viewport. That alone makes me love it. :)  Give it a shot! You will never look back. (Well you will look back and laugh at the wasted time and restrictions of older workflows). I'm Never going back! Ok back to work.
  • JSlade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JSlade polycounter lvl 7
    Alright, so while this is my first post on polycount, I am however not new to SD at all. The issue I'm having though is with learning how to use fx-maps; there's very little in the way of documentation/videos over the subject and it's becoming a hindrance for me. I want to learn how to create diagonal herringbone pattern with an fx-map but I have absolutely no idea of how to go about doing so. Do any of you have any pointers/advice?

Some work I've done:

• Apheleion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    anyone know why the edge detect node doesn't seem to work? it just stays white.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    @JSlade
    the only documentation that I've been able to find at all is a small segment in this tutorial, and he goes into a little depth with FX maps. The rest of the tutorial might also be useful to you.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/441450/
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I started learning SD about 3-4 weeks ago. This is one of my first proper materials, some shabby roof tiles:

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Apheleion said:
    anyone know why the edge detect node doesn't seem to work? it just stays white.
    Try to play a bit with the settings, like the "tolerance".
  • Apheleion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    messing with tolerances does not work either unfortunatly
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    It probably doesn't have any edges to detect. Try adding a distance node before it maybe?
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    maybe add a levels or histogram scan before the edge detect?
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    I started learning SD about 3-4 weeks ago. This is one of my first proper materials, some shabby roof tiles:

Looks great! The height for the mortar between the rooftiles could use some smoothing perhaps, and maybe add some moss/algae. You're off to an amazing start though! The results are very realistic.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K said:
    Looks great! The height for the mortar between the rooftiles could use some smoothing perhaps, and maybe add some moss/algae. You're off to an amazing start though! The results are very realistic.
    Thanks for the feedback! Good points.
    And yea i'm happy with how my first steps into SD turn out. I thought it would be much harder to get results that don't look super procedural. I had some experience with making macros for world machine beforehand tho. That definitely helped me to grasp the workflow in a relatively short time. Also used Brunos cracks and Rogelios AO and cavity nodes to get a nicer result.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried my hand at some old wooden planks:

• Soul Exist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul Exist polycounter lvl 9
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    WIP Bricks for Substance Share:

Crosspost from here.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Nice update on the bricks K!
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Just finished my very first substance following one of the tutorials on Youtube. 

• K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Nice update on the bricks K!
    Thanks Josh! :D Things I still want to tackle on this one are the more porous like smaller details for the brick, like grains of sand embedded in the brick like you see sometimes. Add an option for "casting" marks like indents or patterns, make the mortar stand out a bit more, and make the roughness pop a bit more. After that I'll optimise the graph for speed and readability and put it on Share :)
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Just finished my very first substance following one of the tutorials on Youtube. 

That's a great start already! It could use some dirt or chips/cracks here and there (For that, slope blur greyscale is your friend). For Arch Viz it could be used as is though.
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    A small update:

More info here.
  • berca76
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    berca76 polycounter lvl 7
    Hello,
    it was about a time to try SD and finally I think I'm getting somewhere. Although it's still wip. Blocks are inspired by Hugo Beyer tutorial.

• josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    @berca76 - Nice work so far!

My video tutorial "Fundamental Concepts With Substance Designer" is now available on Gumroad.

httpsgumcoqhmL

Gumroad - https://gum.co/qhmL 

YouTube Overview Video - https://youtu.be/0DSJjPaT5Pc
  • berca76
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    berca76 polycounter lvl 7
    @josh_lynch
    Thanks, I bought that yesterday ;)

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Decided to try a shot at a brick wall because I was a bit bored today. 

• OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    samnwck said:
    Decided to try a shot at a brick wall because I was a bit bored today. 

Great start! Perhaps the edges are a bit too sharp though. That wall looks very climbable too :D
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    About to call this finished, 100% procedural, stylized floor tiles!

• Fansub