Home Unreal Engine

Light Reflection Help

z3phon
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
z3phon polycounter lvl 12
I started learning UE4 a couple of days and I've come across an issue I don't know how to workaround. 
In the picture below you can see the red line running down in all 3 screenshots. 

In the first picture (the ref) you can see the long reflection. The second picture is my screenshot from UE4 with the point light with the attenuation radius set to give me the same long light reflection.  Now the issue I'm coming across is since I'm using a stationary light and it has a limit of 4 overlapping lights, I need to reduce the attenuation radius so the lights don't overlap but when I do that I'm not getting the long reflection I need. 

As you can in the reference there's a lot more lights close  eachother so that would mean I would have to lower the attenuation radius even more once I place the correct number of lights. 
Since it's been only been 2-3 days since I've been exploring UE4 maybe I'm missing a very basic thing about lighting but if someone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate the help. 

If my entire approach to creating those long type reflections is incorrect I'd appreciate some advice on how to do it correctly :smile: 

Replies

• Othelnic12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Othelnic12 polycounter lvl 5
    Hello! 
    This is not solution.
    But you can increase parametre "Min Roughness" in light point. This makes the power dissipation
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe try a cubemap gobo/light cookie that makes one light look like two lights. Or, it's possible that the reflection environment and screen space reflections would give an adequate result once you've fleshed the scene out a little more.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    You'll get better reflections if you include some extra geo there that's emissive or bright. Once you have those, you should see a difference if SSR is on, although adding a box projected cubemap will help even more when SSR isn't rendered. From my tests, the low-quality box projected reflections actually look a little better than the more accurate SSR in this case. Just make sure your box cubemap is about the size of the area only so the reflections line up, and your lights are Stationary. Static lights don't affect specular and moveable lights aren't picked up in cubemaps. You could also try doing some shader work for the floor to simulate anisotropic specular reflections, but that's a bit more tricky with a deferred renderer I think.
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    I'm kinda getting the look I wanted with this setup, stationary lights with shadows disabled but the issue I'm running in to is that since theres no shadow im getting the spec highlight where it shouldn't be. With the lights not casting shadows I doubt I can avoid this issue. 
    The box projected reflection sounds interesting but there's one problem, Since I'm completely new to the unreal engine I have no clue how to do this :disappointed:
    Is there any tutorial or any documentation that can help explain the process. 
    Thanks