Home Technical Talk

UV Packer IPackThat

Replies

• NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickBack polycounter lvl 8
    I want to buy this for our 2 person company, but steam is no good. You cannot buy things as a company from steam, it's not supported, which is very confusing since they have all that software on there now.

(or maybe I'm missing something)
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Applinking would be phenomenal. The main thing keeping me from using the program more is having to manually import/export assets. If it worked similar to roadkill's maya plugin, it would completely change my game art game.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [PB]Snoelk polycounter lvl 7
    Hello folks,

sorry that you did not hear from me lately.
    Currently i try to rewrite the tool in c++ with native support of SIMD and other nice features i can do now with c++ ( AMP++ with GPU and CPU ).
    This is a heavy task but will increase the performance drasticly.

Since i still got problems with testing the gumroad license servers i have to do a little hack. will publish it on gumroad with nothing but and a damn high price so noone will buy it *g*. This will enable the test buy so i can check the license system on my side.
    If its working i can give it a go.

@ZacD you mesh is perfect for testing this overlap edge case. a very weird problem with thin L shaped shells. Think i can fix this in my new c++ framework.

There is some sort of autoload already implemented. Check the path where IPackThat is located. The is s subfolder called StartUp.
    If you place a mesh inside this subdir, it will be autoloaded when IPackThat is started. If there are more than one mesh, only the first one will be used.
    You also can start IPackThat with a meshfile so it will load that.
    IPackThat.exe c:\sometestroot\sometestmesh.fbx

I realy try to solve the gumroad thing as fast as possible.
    If you are a company and want more >= 5 seats you can mail to license@ipackthat.com. We offer a special version directly from us without steam.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Made an IPackThat applink for 3DSMax: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/IPT-Max_Applink.zip
    I can't fully test it since I don't own the app yet, but it should work.

• ridger_drift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ridger_drift polycounter lvl 5
    PolyHertz said:
    Made an IPackThat applink for 3DSMax: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/IPT-Max_Applink.zip
    I can't fully test it since I don't own the app yet, but it should work.

I'm using Max 2013 and can confirm that it works - have Steam open but don't open the app. 
    Thanks PolyHertz!
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to the Gumroad release! Keep us informed!
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One small feature request. Can we have a mode where the packing tries to fit everything in a rectangular bounding box? Not necessarily a square?

I often need to create UVs that will be then used by Unity's lightmapper, which then does an atlas of all the UVs based on their bounding boxes (so even UVs that fit a rectangular area densely work nicely).

Also, still waiting on the Gumroad release :D
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Just change the Scene Options > Aspect Ratio (that's where it is in the demo at least)?
  • Hellfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellfire polycounter lvl 14
    I have buy IPackThat, is a very cool tool. But i have many big vehicle files with over 1000 unique uvs. The import time(50min) is very long(generating shapeclusters for uv) is it normal?
    @Edit
    ok the base uv layout for import need a big padding

• NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    Just change the Scene Options > Aspect Ratio (that's where it is in the demo at least)?
    You're right, but that only lets me choose 1:1 and 1:2 (if I'm not doing something wrong). How about more options? (or how about a "do what you think best" mode)
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any news on the Gumroad release?
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    This tool is really awesome from what I can see in the demo.
    Any estimation when it will be available for purchasing again on Steam? 

About groups, if I add all islands to several groups I get results with quite a lot of waste space.
    The groups seam to be mostly packed square and later that square packages are packed again.
    Leaving some islands without groups fills it up quite well, but you probably want to have all you islands in a group.
    How about an option that makes the groups less tight/square?
    For me a group doesn't have to be square as long as the islands are in the same spot.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah I would prefer if the grouping would just try to be "touching" other islands in the group.
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 said:
    What do you mean? It's already on Steam.

The problem (at least for me), is that Steam doesn't really provide proper VAT invoices and we can't really buy things from there "as a company" (which means, I can't buy iPackThat and file it as an expense, and also I can't be exempt from VAT, when we should be, since we're both in the EU)
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    NickBack said:
    Prime8 said:

The problem (at least for me), is that Steam doesn't really provide proper VAT invoices and we can't really buy things from there "as a company" (which means, I can't buy iPackThat and file it as an expense, and also I can't be exempt from VAT, when we should be, since we're both in the EU)
    It's temporary not available since they have to change the activation procedure, according to a comment on Steam.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    After a Windows install, I can't activate the software. :(
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 said:
    NickBack said:
    Prime8 said:

It's temporary not available since they have to change the activation procedure, according to a comment on Steam.
    Ah, you're right, somehow I missed that.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello folks

as you noticed the tool is currently unavailable inside the steam store.
    i had to change the activation procedure. i already fixed that and uploaded a test version to valve so they can check and test.
    It should be available again today or by tomorrow.
    there will be a patch that will change the activation handling to direct steam client api calls.
    that means, you need to have a installed steam client.
    at first start or after a patch it will reactivate and restart ipackthat from within the steam client to verify itself.
     if the steam client is not running it will start automatic.
    Sorry but this was a must have from valve.

but some good news as well about gumroad. should be available tomorrow :)
    checked and tested all the activation things and they are working.

these are the current fixed when the patch for ipackthat comes online
    • fixed a crash when pressing the goto previous layout when no file was loaded

• fixed various crashes

• fixed the annoying overlap bug

• some performance improvements

• fixed background rendering of comparison images

• fixed batch packing via command line XML file

• fixed auto load mesh via command line

• fixed bug with mouse selection

• fixed a binding error with nullable ui elements

• Steam Version

• changed activation procedure to Steam Client API.

• Steam client must be installed now

• starting IPackThat from outside steam will automatically restart IPackThat from the Steam Client and start the Steam Client if necessary

cheers

• [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steam Version Updated !!
    now running with Steam Api and already activated inside Steam Store again.

and

IPackThat on Gumroad !!!!

There you can buy with amount as well.
    After buying the tool, you can download 2 files.
    IPackThat_Installer.exe for installing it with menu entry and software dependencies
    or
    IPackThat.zip for plain files that you can uncompress to a root of your choice without installing anything

cheers

• NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo! Just bought it on Gumroad, yay!

Only problem I have so far is that when I put stuff in the StartUpDefault folder, iPackThat won't run properly (the process starts but no window opens). I'm pretty sure it's not the file, since if I take it out of the folder, open iPackThat and then open the file from the iPackThat window, it opens the file properly.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    @Shinigami IPackThat packs uv's, doesn't do any unwrapping.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A lot of people get confused by that, even though it says pack in the title, I guess most people assume UVing and packing as one task.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Good timing on the gumroad release as I'm just about to purchase this tool. I've played around with the demo and have a few questions about the workflow.

Am I correct in assuming that texel density (relative shell scale) should be set before sending the mesh to ipackthat? Or can ipackthat scale shells based on surface area?

Do any of the split options (mesh/material) in the import dialog actually create clusters or do those need to be setup manually?

Any other workflow tips or best practices would be appreciated. Sorry if I missed it in the thread or if there's some sort of online documentation I overlooked.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    At last a Gumroad version. Bought!
  • myclay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    wohoo bought the gumroad version too.

• 2bytes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    I have the steam version...can I transfer to gumroad version so that I can remove steam?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Any chance that the lock shells to pack around feature will be added to the program?

It's really one of the last big things that will really make this a no-brainer for most studios. A lot of times I have to pack around existing UV shells that are already textured and I cannot currently do that with ipackthat. 
  • Fabian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys,

I got a small question about the Margin size.
    When decreasing the texture resolution, shouldn't the margin size increase and get higher, instead of decreasing as well?
    The shells need a wider gap between each other to prevent bleeding on lower resolutions, don't they?

EDIT: Excuse me, I found out what is going on there :)

Best Regards
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    When I try to launch the newest version in Steam, the program fails to load and Steam crashes. I tried launching from the exe as well but that also fails to open any window.

For now I've opted into the "previous version" beta to get the old version and that one still works.
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eedobaba7726
    i will upload a special debug branch with a logging feature. maybe we can narrow it down. not sure if i will be able to upload this year.

2bytes said:
    I have the steam version...can I transfer to gumroad version so that I can remove steam?
    • thats not possible so far. i try to think about a solution but im not sure. two different things

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So with the new steam activation in the latest version, I can't call IPackThat via subprocess in Python with an .fbx filepath as the argument to have IPackThat load the specified FBX file...

I can call IPackThat.exe alone (with no argument) and it loads and works, but calling it with the file breaks.

Is this a known issue?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    With the newest version I am unable to uncheck "Can Rotate". Every time it is unchecked it is automatically re-applied when the shell is re-selected. 

https://i.gyazo.com/42feadecd8b938ec3bb70e494959ce47.gif
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer said:
    So with the new steam activation in the latest version, I can't call IPackThat via subprocess in Python with an .fbx filepath as the argument to have IPackThat load the specified FBX file...

I can call IPackThat.exe alone (with no argument) and it loads and works, but calling it with the file breaks.

Is this a known issue?
    Is that a stopgap fix I could make then?  Change the script so it doesn't pass in the filename?  It's a hassle but if that at least allows me to pack, save over it, and have it auto-load back into MODO that's something I can live with.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, that does work!  OK, not ideal, but I can keep using it for the time being at least ...
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Look at it the next days
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, on the Windows 8 machine that iPackThat works, any file I save is tripled. I thought iPackThat was doing some sort of internal tripling for the packing and the saved object would not be tripled. Am I wrong or is it a bug?
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Why does the packer sometimes do this?

It's very strange!

Also, some Feature Requests
    When you have some time to work on this. :)

1) Option for to start scaling up UV shells automatically, to fill empty space. Start with the smallest shells and scale them up slightly.

2) Option to lock the organisation of UV shells. Sometimes when I pack circles inside of circles, because their Margin size is too close together , IPackThat will unpack them and pack it in its own way - but I don't want it to do that.

Instead, I'd like it to leave those circles inside eachother, but still try and pack the overall shape with other Shells. At the moment, I could lock them, but that completely locks them in place - I don't want to lock them in place, just their layout respective of one-another. 

It could be an option like "Pack this Group as One large Shell" - so it wont rearrange the formation of the shells within the group, but it will still try and pack that group with everything else. 

Cheers.

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The above does not happen if I have no groups with my UV shells.

I am using an FBX object that has been triangulated completely.

Edit: The problem also occurs with OBJ files. Object is completely triangulated. There are groups for UVs that I want to keep close together. Some UVs are Mirrored and Overlapped - but not offset for baking, yet.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I have been experimenting with the Steam demo of iPackThat and decided to purchase via Gumroad. I uninstalled the Steam demo and then ran the installer I downloaded from gumroad. The program activated and starts normally. I load my mesh and it crashes as soon as I click 'start packing'. I am running windows 7 64 bit and have tried both OBJ and FBX formats.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong in the install process or help troubleshoot this issue.

Edit: It appears to be something with that particular mesh. I just loaded up a different one and it seems to be working. Any known issues to look out for on the import mesh to avoid crashes?

Edit 2: Looks like it was just a corrupt piece of geometry. I went through and exported each piece of the asset individually until I found the offending part. Everything seems to be working as expected now. 

Edit 3: I'm also getting similar results as Dan Powell and can't get a solution that uses more than 50% when using clusters for separate elements of my asset. 

• [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer said:

Is this a known issue?
    • bug found and fixed (async thread problem)

NickBack said:
    Also, on the Windows 8 machine that iPackThat works, any file I save is tripled. I thought iPackThat was doing some sort of internal tripling for the packing and the saved object would not be tripled. Am I wrong or is it a bug?
    • what fbx version you are using. i have the bad feeling the problem lies in different fbx versions. IPackThat is compiled against fbx sdk 2015.1. Maybe the fbx sdk itself is doing this. I just Load, update the UV verts and save again.

It's very strange!

Also, some Feature Requests
    When you have some time to work on this. :)

1) Option for to start scaling up UV shells automatically, to fill empty space. Start with the smallest shells and scale them up slightly.

2) Option to lock the organisation of UV shells. Sometimes when I pack circles inside of circles, because their Margin size is too close together , IPackThat will unpack them and pack it in its own way - but I don't want it to do that.

Instead, I'd like it to leave those circles inside eachother, but still try and pack the overall shape with other Shells. At the moment, I could lock them, but that completely locks them in place - I don't want to lock them in place, just their layout respective of one-another. 

It could be an option like "Pack this Group as One large Shell" - so it wont rearrange the formation of the shells within the group, but it will still try and pack that group with everything else. 

Cheers.

• this looks weirdo. could you send me the mesh so i can check against?
    • on my list already.
    • will check if i can add easily

jStins said:
    I have been experimenting with the Steam demo of iPackThat and decided to purchase via Gumroad. I uninstalled the Steam demo and then ran the installer I downloaded from gumroad. The program activated and starts normally. I load my mesh and it crashes as soon as I click 'start packing'. I am running windows 7 64 bit and have tried both OBJ and FBX formats.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong in the install process or help troubleshoot this issue.

Edit: It appears to be something with that particular mesh. I just loaded up a different one and it seems to be working. Any known issues to look out for on the import mesh to avoid crashes?

Edit 2: Looks like it was just a corrupt piece of geometry. I went through and exported each piece of the asset individually until I found the offending part. Everything seems to be working as expected now. 

Edit 3: I'm also getting similar results as Dan Powell and can't get a solution that uses more than 50% when using clusters for separate elements of my asset. 

• could you send me the broken mesh so i can debug and adress the crash correctly?

working on some other bugs as well and will upload a new patch the next days
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer said:

Is this a known issue?
    • bug found and fixed (async thread problem)
    Thanks! :)
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni said:
    With the newest version I am unable to uncheck "Can Rotate". Every time it is unchecked it is automatically re-applied when the shell is re-selected. 

https://i.gyazo.com/42feadecd8b938ec3bb70e494959ce47.gif
    • confirmed. working on that one for the next patch as well. this bug happens on multi selection. on single selection its working as expected.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Hey there :)
     Checking for an update  freezes the software.
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    • what fbx version you are using. i have the bad feeling the problem lies in different fbx versions. IPackThat is compiled against fbx sdk 2015.1. Maybe the fbx sdk itself is doing this. I just Load, update the UV verts and save again.
    I believe it was FBX 2013. When I get the chance I'll try different FBX versions and report what happened here. I would do that right now but iPackThat is not working on Bootcamp with Windows 10 installed, which is what I'm using currently :)
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow said:
    Hey there :)
     Checking for an update  freezes the software.
    • confirmed and already fixed in my current build
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    • could you send me the broken mesh so i can debug and adress the crash correctly?
    I fixed the corrupted geometry that was causing the crash, but can send a version with the corrupted geo if you want. I'm also getting similar results as Dan Powell with grouped clusters. What email should I send the file to?
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins said:
    I fixed the corrupted geometry that was causing the crash, but can send a version with the corrupted geo if you want. I'm also getting similar results as Dan Powell with grouped clusters. What email should I send the file to?
    • thanks, will check whtas going on :)
    • email for support is support@ipackthat.com
  • Hellfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellfire polycounter lvl 14
    Hi Snoelk, is it possible to running more instance of this tool?

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Uploaded it to Dropbox. I've made changes to the mesh since and ended up packing it manually as I'm on a schedule to get it done, but no huge deal. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnzgeoummgu12z1/Concussion_Exploded.obj?dl=0