Home General Discussion

Autodesk Stingray game engine

Replies

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Skumtron wrote: »
    Has anyone had the time to tinker with it? How does it compare against Unity?

I went to a studio to see them making games on it (NDA) so my lips are shut.

For an engine straight of the cuff its really good.

I would like to look into it for Arch Viz, Vehicle, Medical, VRX and anything simulation, I think that's where it could really hold its own.

In my opinion, Pre Viz in films looks like it could really make some new and unprecedented ground.

Something like this - http://www.thethirdfloorinc.com/#home-7a225
  • shaderfx
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderfx polycounter lvl 9
    but I don't think that's its main focus.

AAA is just as much a focus as anything else on your list is a focus.

It takes many years of continuous development to get it right (just like Unreal and Unity require(d) this). That is the path we are on.

So give it some time. If something you really need is missing today, it might be there in the next release or the one after.

(And be sure to let us know what you need. Ideally on the Autodesk stingray forum so it won't get lost)
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Hi ShaderFX

How is the pre viz for film side of development going? This was what I was thinking your engine could be really good for?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ynvf4_the-third-floor-digital-previs-short-demo-reel_shortfilms
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    shaderfx wrote: »
    AAA is just as much a focus as anything else on your list is a focus.

It takes many years of continuous development to get it right (just like Unreal and Unity require(d) this). That is the path we are on.

So give it some time. If something you really need is missing today, it might be there in the next release or the one after.

(And be sure to let us know what you need. Ideally on the Autodesk stingray forum so it won't get lost)

After five years I still think the stone giant demo still holds up nicely tho I do not really know how Bitsquid compares to Stingray...
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwNyuYrJKQ[/ame]

But benchmarking with the demo at 4k today still looked impressive to my eyes?

Speaking of Bitsquid does anyone know if the old blog is archived anywhere? And if all the LUA gems there are still relevant to Stingray?
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Yes! The bitsquid blog is here http://bitsquid.blogspot.com/ it has everything from 2009 and is still being updated with information on stingray development.
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Yes! The bitsquid blog is here http://bitsquid.blogspot.com/ it has everything from 2009 and is still being updated with information on stingray development.

looking super sexy! ( erghh * must make more time :( )
  • Pizdos
    Offline / Send Message
    Pizdos triangle
    After all evaluation, all I can say, waist of time for devs to do this. This is so old and outdated, why will anyone pay for this. Not counting is full of bugs. Also waist of money for it, because is close to useless. Unity/Unreal/Cryengine do everything and more and easy and better. The so called live link work like crap and is full of bugs and is so incomplete. Already nobody talks about it, between game dev's.
  • shaderfx
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pizdos: it would be more helpful to us developers if you posted the areas that are incomplete or broken for you so we can fix them :)
    We are very actively working on improving the engine and tools. V1.1 is just around the corner and should have quite a lot of fixes.

Remember that Unity, Unreal, etc were once full of bugs and had tons of missing features.
    It takes time to add those in Stingray. It certainly isn't old or outdated. More the opposite. It is very new and therefor missing some polish and features in some areas.

If you had a bad time trying out version 1.0, I can certainly understand that, but it would be more useful to hear exactly what trouble you ran into.

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The new Warhammer End Times, Vermintide (which is a lot of fun btw) seems to be using Stingray and
    looks really good. Pretty long loading times tho even on a SSD but their maps are pretty huge to be fair.
    Gotta test the engine myself still
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I just wish the default Stingray directX shader in max was better. PBR textures plugged into it look rather bad compared to in 3DCoat. I know you can create your own shader, but still...
  • shaderfx
    Offline / Send Message
    @PolyHertz did you disable gamma in 3dsMax?
    If so, can you show me an example?
  • shaderfx
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea gamma is disabled. Here's a comparison:

• shaderfx
    Offline / Send Message
    @PolyHertz
    If you can email me the example I can probably fix that up (kees.rijnen@autodesk.com)
    Its a bit hard to say for sure what it is from the screenshot (but thanks for providing it)
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a dropbox link, it's just the 3DC default material sphere with a default PBR smart material used for textures: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/militarySphere.7z

One important note is that the issue becomes a lot less noticeable in recesses when using an AO map, but it is still present (the pic above was with AO disabled).
  • shaderfx
    Offline / Send Message
    @polyhertz: thank you!
    I'll try to investigate this week
  • shaderfx
    Offline / Send Message
    @PolyHertz

Your problem will be fixed in the next version.
    I finally found what the problem was.
    Somewhere in the DX material "AddressU=Clamp" has stopped working (for all shaders, not just the PBS) and that caused the issue.

Thanks again for pointing it out.

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Question:
    Why with the stingray/PBR shader, are all of the boolean switches integers instead of checkboxes?
  • shaderfx
    Offline / Send Message
    @almighty_gir

This is because the Stingray game engine doesn't support bool values in its graph (it abstracts it away to scalar and vector2-4).
    And the shader graph needs to be compatible with that engine as we transfer materials, including graphs, over to it.

The 3dsMax DX UI only supports check-boxes for bools and not for floats.

(In Maya and Stingray engine, they are checkboxes because they both support checkboxes for bool,int and float values)

So a bit ugly, but hopefully 3dsMax can support UIwidget="checkbox" in the future as well.

• DoctorClot
    @shaderfx - Got a few questions about the Stingray Game Engine.

My use case -
    I am looking at using stingray for an small yet to be announced Desktop and Android TV title.
    I currently use MODO 901 indie for modeling, UV Unwrapping, etc.

1. Would I be able to import my models from Modo 901 indie into Stingray?
    2. Are there any plans to support large worlds in autodesk stingray? Example - Tiled based Level Streaming for 2D worlds, etc.
    3. Will Scaleform be overhauled or reworked at some point to take advantage of HTML5 or other tech?
    Flash is a slowly dying tech which is why I am asking.
    4. Will I need to purchase a license for Wwise in addition to the Autodesk Stingray license? Will there be any 3rd Party licenses that I will need to purchase in addition to stingray?
    5. Any plans for 2D support in a future update of Stingray?

Thank you for your time,

- DoctorClot
  • shaderfx
    Offline / Send Message
    1. As long as you can export to FBX (including tangent/binormal info) it should import.
    2. I am sure we will
    3. We already include the next version of scaleform with Stingray that is not flash based
    4. Not sure. Post question on the autodesk stingray forum. 
    5. yes. Currently we already ship "stingray 2d " with it in the form of the new scaleform.
  • DoctorClot
    shaderfx said:
    1. As long as you can export to FBX (including tangent/binormal info) it should import.
    2. I am sure we will
    3. We already include the next version of scaleform with Stingray that is not flash based
    4. Not sure. Post question on the autodesk stingray forum. 
    5. yes. Currently we already ship "stingray 2d " with it in the form of the new scaleform.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I will post Question 4 on the stingray forums. :)
    Thank you for your time,

- DoctorClot
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Do we have anyone that can talk about the engine from a production standpoint. I really dislike all these "promotional" videos... there doesn't seem to be a lot of in depth info / breakdown... and I would love to hear some feedback from devs who are currently using it.

Do we have any Fatshark / Arrowhead devs at Polycount?