Home Technical Talk

Definitive PBR Reference guide?

StormyBA
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
I'm looking for a "definitive" reference guide for PBR - and by reference guide I'm pretty much asking for colour swatches or colour values for materials. Albedo + Roughness etc

I'm finding a fair few "bits and bob's" over at quixel, marmoset and substance but each really only have a small example sample of material values that will only take me so far.

I've also had a browse through the polycount wiki and again not really what I'm after on there.

Does anyone have or know of any large, comprehensive PBR guide with a big bunch of material values? Would be very useful!

Thanks

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've checked all the links on this page?
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/PBR

Tons of swatches and values available. Rendering Remember Me for example.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The Wiki pretty much has everything you need to know. The Unreal Engine and CryEngine documentation pages also include some swatches, but keep in mind one engine is Metalness and the other is Specular.

PBR is not a set of strict rules either. A single albedo color for say, a rock, is not going to be the only color you use for all rocks. The same goes for roughness.

Specular can simplified down to a range of values though.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    If you're looking for swatches you can just colorpick to make your textures and expect it to be 'right', you're doing it wrong...
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Also keep in mind that not all engines are going to use exactly the same roughness curve. Generally I'd advise making your own swatch for roughness if you can't find one for your target engine, rather than using one from a different one.

The ultimate swatch source is ultimately going to be a reasonable-quality digital camera and a Macbeth chart.