Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Uberren's Hand Painted Improvement Thread

Replies

• Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot for the paint over! That's really good advice; if I'm going to add wear, I should commit to it more :)
    I added some dirt build up in the crevices along with the changes you suggested.
    nXLzezs.png
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    that wooden handle needs some work

- its way too pristine now for that blade
    - year rings that are responsible for this wood pattern would never work like this. you can saw wood any direction you want, they never intersect or merging together into a single line
    - line width is something to think about. generally you'd want it to vary a little bit. right now its kind of boring and not very realistic. I mean you can go stylised, but some things are just fundamental.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks linkov. I made some changes to the handle. Gonna call it done for now and move to something else.
    ZlDCk1A.png
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Uberren, I've seen your works come by a lot since I got more active on Polycount.. I got to say; great work man! You've improved so much :D

This is probably an annoying question.. but I'm wondering about your workflow and software. How do you do it? :)
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    You're welcome Ren. It turned out great. :)
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sweetangel, I'm glad there's a noticeable improvement :D

It's not annoying at all.
    I use 3D-Coat for everything unless it's a tiling texture. I just do those in Photoshop. My workflow is similar to the one on Kelvin Tan's Gumroad tutorial for his sci fi rifle.

-I start by baking an AO map and putting it on multiply
    -add in base colours under the AO
    -I sometimes use photoshop to add some colour to the AO
    -merge everything and start painting in lighting info.
    -work from big shapes to smaller

If I'm having trouble getting something looking right, mostly values, I'll switch to painting in grayscale and then add colour to it later :)

I'm almost always just painting on a single layer.
    When I'm close to what I think would be finished, I use photoshop to add in slight adjustments with layers like levels and hue/saturation.

I hope that makes sense :)
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been trying to learn some Unity recently to expand my knowledge of different engines..
    Here's another knife I made as well:
    cdedZ6z.png
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if I'm eligible for the Blizzard student art contest since I graduated about 2 months ago, but I'm gonna make something anyway since it's fun.
    I want to make a sally port for my favourite dungeon from back when I used to play WoW: Blackrock Depths.
    This is my blockout for the actual bridge + gate, nothing for the landscape yet:

And this is the texturing I've done so far on the head:

• Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, the glowing beard stuff looked kinda tacky so I decided to go without them.
    Current progress on the lower portion of the gate:

• Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the doors:

• Earthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
    Just worked my way through your thread! Loving this, quick comment on the Dwarf door, the actual pattern does not go with dwarves stylistic design you have. I actually preferred the previous design you had which was more plain. But again just food for thought :)
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Earthyn :)
    I was actually thinking the same thing when I woke up this morning.  I changed the door to be a bit more standard looking, I also darkened it.

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    looks sick! would love to see some subtle hue shifts on the wood using like a blotchy mask. also the highlights on the wood look a bit too saturated, makes it look less like wood and more like a rough metal.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tectonic, I assume you are talking about the doors.  If that was the case, it made me realise my door was completely off the mark with what it's supposed to look like.  It's meant to be a metal door, lol
    I tried de-saturating it some and adding more scratches and highlights to make it more metallic: