Home General Discussion

Mudbox Vs Substance Painter for Stylized Wow-esque Textures?

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating what tool to use for 3d painting of my low poly game models. I'm trying to figure out which would be better for what I need.

Looks like Substance has alot of really nice features which I may never use. Indie license is also 99 bucks.

However Mudbox integrates well with my copy of Maya LT and is 10 bucks a month.

AT the end of the day I'm looking for something that's going to feel as close to what I would be doing in photoshop for hand painting textures.

I've only scratched the surface of either program for this but would love to get some input from other people if they have used either for their work flows.

Thanks,

B

Replies

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I am a big fan of substance painter, but I don't think it's particularly well suited to doing painterly textures if I am totally honest. You can, of course, but I prefer the toolset I have in photoshop for that sort of work. This is coming from somebody that uses substance painter a lot.

Ultimately, so far as I am aware, both pieces of software have trial versions available, how about you set aside a couple of days to delve into each and figure it out yourself?

After you've had a good play, you can come back and ask specific questions about how to achieve the kinds of texture you want, and provide examples of your attempts so we can more accurately advise.

Good questions = good answers, give us more to work with.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    My tool of choice for that style is 3D Coat. If you haven't looked into it yet, you might want to check it out. It integrates well with photoshop for both projection painting and painting on UV flats. Justin Meisse put up a tutorial super long time ago that got me started in the program.

Also, there are Blizzard artists on this board, maybe you could reach out to them and find out what they're doing!
  • bhall27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the input and feedback, I currently have trials of both, currently leaning more towards mudbox.

I'm actually trying to finish a piece (Same piece) in both applications to see what feels and works better. Hoping I can get it all done before my trial runs out for mudbox :).

I will definitely post some examples and what not.

I have a friend at blizzard that recommended 3dcoat as well, however the price tag is above my budget right now.

That's why I was looking at the options of substance and mudbox. They are more in my range.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    The process mostly involves baking out maps from a high poly, combining them and blending colors over the top. Not so much actual "hand-painting" as far as I know.
    To that end, I think something like Substance Designer for baking out maps and masking in the base colors, and adding in some post effects would actually be best. Then use something like Photoshop to paint in the extra color detail and clean it up.
    I don't know about Mudbox, but Substance Painter from my experience is not good for actually painting textures. Just for painting in photo-realistic details like water, rust, scratches, whatever. I would never use it to work on the base texture.
    Much like ZBrush polypainting, it always seems to come out muddy.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Tyson Murphy uses 3D coat and he's pretty boss, would recommend that, but Mudbox can work well too.

https://vimeo.com/17231029
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    it can definitely do everything in that mudbox video - ultimately my opinion is really a personal preference for the actual painting tools, but yeah it can do all in that video but with the added benefit of being able to paint on multiple channels at once (roughness, height etc) as well as great masking tools etc.

Substance painter comes into its own for realism and stylised realism and has the their great parametric substance effects, but so far as painterly-painting its really just personal preference for me to prefer photoshop.
  • bhall27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After playing with both this week, went with a Mudbox Sub, felt more like Photoshop for me when it comes to texture painting and I also have a copy at work that I can integrate into my pipeline there instead of asking for new software!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Cheers.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I'm going to have to recommend 3d coat as well if going for the hand painted blizzard-esq work. I love substance painter, but like others have said its not really set up for that art style, yet.

If you ever switch over to Modo, you will find its painting side is also good for blizz style art as well.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Dataday wrote: »
    I love substance painter, but like others have said its not really set up for that art style, yet.
    Challenge accepted.

(I'm just quoting you because you were the most recent person to say it, btw.)
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    i haven't tried handpainted texturing with mudbox, but mudbox's texturing tools and interface are awesomely simple. and for 10$ a month that's super cheap and you get other awesome things with it.

with mudbox you can also export layers directly to photoshop, which is very nice.

not sure about SP because i haven't tried it a whole lot.

but personally i'd pick mudbox.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    How can I say this, I like substance painter product but I find it really counter-intuitive to my workflow. Despite its using the PBR workflow I find Mudbox is a easier application to use.

Things like Alpha and Stencil setups make Mudbox much easier to use, specially when it comes to loading reference image library's. When it comes to substance painter the process feels lacking.

For example, I wish that importing my assets and textures were as easy as going to file>import then into the scene. In addition to, I really like that Mudbox has a feature that allows the artist to snapshot their view port, or screen. That then goes to Photoshop to allow the artist to further refine any reference textures for color correction in, or any other means necessary.

I don't know, I feel like there is potential in this application. But knowing as the artist, I have to watch a video tutorial (or series) to understand how the software works just to get my assets into the application and to start painting. Now I am not against tutorials, but given the video requires a lot of explanation by its developer for the artists to understand its tool set. Then the design in my opinion, is suffering greatly and needs to be re-looked at. Z brush for example may have been a tough application that required tutorials to learn it, but out of the box that application spoke well for itself. Whereas substance painter does very little to speak for what the artist can actually do with it, and the various art styles that can be obtained with very little effort.

I don't mean to sound bashing on the algorithmic product's here. But the lacking in good presentation on algorithmic's part has hurt their products more than I care to elaborate further with. As I have their products, but at the same time. I'm an artist and I like to put my tools to use with my fingers as fast as I can. Painter isn't really a painter as I find. The particle brushes speak well for themselves and the product. But I have yet to feel comfortable to just paint my albedo's a lone with photo-realistic results on human like subjects to say this app has my vote.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    So far all I can see in this thread is what seems to be the outright dismissal of SP without even trying it or doing full projects in it. I mean let's think about it, it officially released yesterday.

It's all well and good to say mudbox is better, it may very well be and I think personally mudbox is a cool thing.

But SP's no pushover man, I haven't had a whole lot experience myself, but I've seen and read enough to know it can do what mudbox can and even more so.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Substance Painter and Mari just seem like using a Ferrari in a 25mph zone for stylized work. If you're doing full PBR stylized stuff (Sunset Overdrive kinda stuff for example) then sure go for it. But the OP asked about WOWey art. For that use 3D Coat.

Mainly cause like Torch said people there (and other stylized places)use it.

https://gumroad.com/turpedo
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast wrote: »
    Challenge accepted.

(I'm just quoting you because you were the most recent person to say it, btw.)

Haha, good response. Its possible to get a hand painted texture out of SP, but its also possible paint a house with a toothbrush. Its just not something one would normally do if they are trying to get the best results with the least amount of stress and time wasted. I have found it extremely difficult to blend with SP, where as with say 3d coat, just grabbing the color with one hotkey and using another to blur makes it much easier.

I do think that Substance Painter might eventually get around it covering that particular art style but its certainly not something that I would argue SP put priority on. Its very PBR/substance centric.

=)
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Another thing that makes blending super easy in 3D Coat is that holding shift (for smoothing) will blur out your texture where you paint, which can speed up the blending process significantly. I'd say that the only app that really rivals 3D Coat for hand-painted textures in 3D is Mari, and that's really...well, overkill unless you're made of money, working on film, or only do texturing. If you do decide on Mari I'd implore you to wait for a 40% off sale, but for most people it's not going to be worth it.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    Haha, good response. Its possible to get a hand painted texture out of SP, but its also possible paint a house with a toothbrush. Its just not something one would normally do if they are trying to get the best results with the least amount of stress and time wasted. I have found it extremely difficult to blend with SP, where as with say 3d coat, just grabbing the color with one hotkey and using another to blur makes it much easier.

I do think that Substance Painter might eventually get around it covering that particular art style but its certainly not something that I would argue SP put priority on. Its very PBR/substance centric.

=)
    Any time I hear/see anyone say "You can't" my first response is always "you can't." Gets me in to trouble, but it's usually fun trouble... =)

Besides, I simply can't use 3d coat for personal reasons and I have SP. Now is as good of a time as any to find that awesome workflow! I suppose a smart first step will be to get cracking on some appropriate substances.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
    I think that Allegorithmic are doing a great job on Painter. We are looking at version 1.0 here and I think it's a very solid release. Pretty sure they are aware of the "handpainting" needs of us game artists. They are listening to responses and thoughts so let them know what you want/need.
  • Chris Krüger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D Coat is really great for that kind of stuff. With applink you can go back and forth between Photoshop very quickly.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Im totally digging 3DC for hand painted as well. Feels so easy and natural.
    However, at my new job we dont have it, so I have to find a substitute as well, mudbox being one ofthe apps they DO have. So I might chime in with my pov on this later.
  • bhall27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone,

thanks for all the feedback and input. I just wrapped up my first pass of my Golem that I've been working on, did the texture in Mudbox:

http://brianhall3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/sample.jpg

I would have probably gone with 3dCoat if I had a few hundred bucks laying around, unfortunately I don't and so I went with the 10$/month subscription. So far I've really enjoyed using it, they have a nice "blur" when you hit shift when you paint - there have been a few bugs I've found but Autodesk has been good about feedback when I report them, so hopefully they get fixed next version.

At the end of the day, like with any tool I think it comes down to preference and that's why I reached out to see what people preferred. This is also a tool I can use at my day job (mudbox) as we have a license for it and I won't have to ask for new software. Mudbox was very straight forward for me and it was very reminiscent of just making a texture in photoshop. You can also export layers, etc to photoshop to do some editing there.

Would love to see a side by side, mode to paint on the uvs like substance has but otherwise it'll work for what I need!

Cheers,

B.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Despite using Blender for my modeling, I haven't tried painting with it. Apparently it's become fairly impressive in that regard as well, though.
    Example.
    I'd like to know how it compares to other options, if anyone's tried it.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bhall27 wrote: »
    hopefully they get fixed next version.

We can hope...

As for Blender, the built-in compositor and baking, while they aren't the best in the industry, actually give you quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to texture authoring. Haven't used it for textures in a while but it's been getting seriously updated.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Just letting you know, we are taking notes and hopefully can address concerns about stylized painting in Painter soon :)
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One issue then with Painter, would be the complete lack of good brushes for actual painting.
    You pretty much have to create your own, since it lacks even something so basic as a hard circle/ellipse.
    It just has the soft circle, and then some highly specific stuff like splatter or scratches meant more for stamping than painting.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The default round brush has a hardness parameter that will make it a hard circle when pushed toward the maximum, but I agree that the default brushes were mostly meant for stamping and we lack the basic painting shapes.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem that I have with the default round is that the hardness of it isn't linear. If you set it to around 95% hardness (e.g.) it will still be pretty soft. It only really gets hard at around 99% hardness, and at that point it gets REALLY hard. If I were you guys I'd try to get closer to the way that Photoshop handles brush hardness. It's really familiar, it's easier to use, and it works quite well.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've used both 3D Coat and Painter. 3D Coat is really easy to get a nice result, so I'd consider it my base point of reference here.
    In Painter, another pretty large issue I've noticed that gets in the way of it working for hand painting is that it doesn't handle geometry very well. It tends to warp around steep edges in very awkward ways.
    And while the 2D view is amazingly useful in theory, in practice it behaves very strangely as well. because it warps when painting on it according to geometry.
    Now while this would also be good in theory to prevent distortion and seams, it tends to actually get in the way of the things 2D is most often used for. Like painting over a specific island to avoid bleeding between materials.
    If it's not there already, it needs an option to easily toggle that behavior so it acts like a normal 2D image.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Is there a hotkey in mudbox to instantly get the raw color of the pixel under the cursor similar to coat?
    Is there a way to ahve hue\sat\value randomization per stroke like in ps and coat? Those are the two main ones for me.
    Oh, and a curve or soemthing to control the drybrush how far ir reaches ?
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blazed wrote: »
    Hell being able to import Photoshop brushes would be awesome, would that be possible or legally allowed?
    You could import photoshop brushes fairly easily into anything, just not the brush settings. PS brushes are otherwise image files -- there are a number of tools that can pull out pngs. I usually use abrmate to get at mine when I need to. It's not quite direct implementation in the program, but it's a pretty minor task.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf have you tried using the paint in UV space brush settings whilst painting in 3D view? That pretty much solves all my weird warping problems of textures.

Substance Painter has done most of the hard part but kinda skip some of the basic stuff required for cartoony hand painted styles. I think some good easy to use colour palette with some good working basic brushes is going to help a lot with that, oh and a flat lighting shader. Hell being able to import Photoshop brushes would be awesome, would that be possible or legally allowed?

I don't think it's all that hard to implement these things but it really depends how seriously and fast allegorithmic want's to tackle it / priorities list.
    To get the flat shader, all I do is press C to go into Solo View, Base Color. As an added benefit, it also gets rid of the horribly distracting backdrop.

Also, you were right about the UV Space setting, thanks.
    It did introduce a new problem though, in which it no longer paints well across UV seams.
  • bhall27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon wrote: »
    Is there a hotkey in mudbox to instantly get the raw color of the pixel under the cursor similar to coat?
    Is there a way to ahve hue\sat\value randomization per stroke like in ps and coat? Those are the two main ones for me.

I have no idea, I'll have to mess around and try.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Oh yeah Duh... forgot about the Flat colour option pressing C, but they still need a good shader to handle non pbr textures. I think jerc put one up on the forums.

Here is a simple diffuse+normal map shader with a bit of a fresnel effect.

It will be integrated by default in the next update. Please let me know if you think it's missing options or if it doesn't look right!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Does painter have a way to ahve hue\sat\value randomization per stroke like in ps and coat?
    Can it paint just in cavities/concavities?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Just test them out Johnny boy, if this was a debate about ZBrush vs. applications that allow you 3D-2D map paint, then I would say there is a point since the falloff of the paint and bleeding plays a large role in this.

But since it's essentially about the difference of the tools themselves, you pick your choice based upon that. For example, I like painting in ZBrush, but Substance Painter is like a Painter version of ZB, so I'm going on what I'm comfortable with in terms of location and muscle memory, vs. Mudbox or 3DC, which require some different tinkering.

Also, since you don't require physical correctness between applications and tangents correction in painterly textures, the update that will bring a baker inside for SP, it will speed up my 'pick up and paint' style much quicker.

The other apps do the same by the way...
  • bhall27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So not sure about the other 2 things, but I currently have my color picker set to my wacom hotkey, I think typically the hotkey is I on the keyboard.

I've never done the "hue\sat\value randomization per stroke" myself so don't know what you are referring to.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for your reply, bhall.
    What im referring to, is the option thatboth coat and photoshop have for variation in hue, saturation and brightness per stroke. So, if you pick a red color, and make 5 strokes, they will all be 100% the same. With the option to randomize these per stroke, you can have subtle differences in color, brightness etc without having to constantly change the actualy color you paint. It is a huge timesaver for me when I hand paint textures, so I would really hope for something like that.
    am I the only one using it?
  • bhall27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply, bhall.
    What im referring to, is the option thatboth coat and photoshop have for variation in hue, saturation and brightness per stroke. So, if you pick a red color, and make 5 strokes, they will all be 100% the same. With the option to randomize these per stroke, you can have subtle differences in color, brightness etc without having to constantly change the actualy color you paint. It is a huge timesaver for me when I hand paint textures, so I would really hope for something like that.
    am I the only one using it?

That sounds awesome, never done that. Will have to check it out. Can you point me in the direction where to set that up in Ps?

thanks, sorry for being so novice haha.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was actually mistaken. Setting the brush to UV helps the problem a lot, but it's still there.
    So far, the poor way in which it handles painting over geometry and seams has been my biggest problem. As a whole, my strokes just feel incredibly inaccurate.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    I was actually mistaken. Setting the brush to UV helps the problem a lot, but it's still there.
    So far, the poor way in which it handles painting over geometry and seams has been my biggest problem. As a whole, my strokes just feel incredibly inaccurate.

If you want true 2D painting, you need to change to UV alignment indeed but also the Size Space to Texture. This will give you true, 1 to 1, 2D painting. We need to let you switch from a mode to another more easily that what it is now though.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not just a 2D issue. The 3D painting is very inaccurate as well.
    It warps and stretches around convex corners, bypasses concave corners and seams entirely, and fails to maintain a consistent size with the strokes based on depth (it tries to alter the brush to match the depth of geometry, but isn't very accurate in achieving it).
    It's all but impossible for me to create smooth strokes.

Here's an image of an extremely simple project I've been attempting to do with SP.
    I've been working on the texture for literally HOURS, but I just cannot get a clean result. I tried the same thing first in 3D Coat, and got an acceptable result in less than half an hour.
    SPExample_zpsf7ea32bf.png
    As you can see, the strokes are inconsistent and blotchy, with very prominent seams.
    It looks like something hacked together in three minutes, but I've been at this all day trying to get it right.

For comparison, this is what I was able to quickly achieve on the same object in 3D Coat.
    3DCExample_zpscfbe6575.png
    It's not an issue of familiarity, either. I own SP, I'm just using a free trial of 3D Coat. I have more experience with SP than 3D Coat.

Red was a stupid idea, by the way; I feel like my retinas are on fire.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    What alignment and size apace were you using?

I've been doing some basic tests in SP and 3DC to test the stroke accuracy and couldn't get strong differences apart from some distortions in the strokes in both cases due to my camera being at and angle from the surface I'm painting on:
    wHkifar.png

The size of the brush is constant on any part of the mesh when using Object size space. It means that painting in the 2D view while in this mode can seem inaccurate because of UV scale differences between chunks and distorsions in the UVs.

In viewport mode, the stroke size is constant in screen space, which means that if you draw on a part of your mesh that is further away, the stroke will look bigger in the end than if you're painting on a part that's closer to you, but the stroke size will be consistent in both views.

Texture mode sets the stroke size depending on the UVs, which means that if you are painting in 3D, the stroke size will vary depending on the UV scale.

I agree that all of this is pretty confusing, and typically 3DC switches the way the strokes are applied automatically depending on which view you are painting in.

Anyway, if you can provide more info about what issues you are having exactly I'll be very interested in seeing how we can make things behave better!
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used Object Space with UV Alignment. After reading your your post though, I tried it out and it does seem that Tangent Alignment works much better in 3D and UV Alignment works much better in 2D.
    I'm going to try my hand at it again with this in mind and see how it goes.
    -Edit-
    Actually, I'm not sure anymore. No combination of settings will cause 2D to behave in a normal manner without distortion.
    3D at least seems to be behaving more consistently though when set to Tangent and Object.
    I suppose if I had a cleaner UV map the distortion in 2D view probably wouldn't be significant enough to matter.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    bhall27 wrote: »
    That sounds awesome, never done that. Will have to check it out. Can you point me in the direction where to set that up in Ps?

thanks, sorry for being so novice haha.

In your brush settings, go to color dynamics.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @Grimwolf Thanks for troubleshooting this anyway! I'll see what we can do to ease the hand-painting process.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Jerc wrote: »
    I'll see what we can do to ease the hand-painting process.

This is big. Thank you! Please keep us updated, and let us know if you need any input. I own a license, but never really get to use it. This could be a game changer for me, though.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a slightly clearer understanding of the 3D distortions.
    I noticed this while painting the cork, which has much tighter UVs.
    When set to Tangent Alignment, my strokes get heavily stretched along the length of the UV. Say the UV is longer horizontally; the stroke will bleed out and fade horizontally.
    When set to UV Alignment, it attempts to maintain normalcy in 2D and so creates 3D deformation according to UV deformation. Clearly not meant for work in 3D anyway. Even in 2D view though, the stroke appears to adjust its size according to the size of the UVs. In theory this is probably meant to in some way minimize 3D deformation, but can't actually solve that issue by pure virtue of how it works. I'm pretty sure that's what Tangent is for.
    Size Spaces appear to behave as they should.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Jerc

On a side note, I highly recommend downloading Krita ( https://krita.org/features/highlights/ ) and playing around with it for a bit. There's a certain feel and control scheme that makes it perfect for painting and texturing (2d or 3d). Additionally, depending on how the brush system develops with painter, being able to use existing .abr brushes or sets can really up the appeal. Krita does this to some extent, but can only use some basic properties from the .abr brush packs (which litter the net).

Looking forward to having Painter become the go to app for texturing all kinds of assets.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    /Cast Necrothread (rank 2)
    I have been out of the substance loop for a year now. Did anything happen in this regard?
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Nothing, except straight lines.

Vector tools, transform tools, blur, clone and fill brushes are sorely needed.