Home Adobe Substance

SD4.4 - Messy Combined Normal Maps + Viewport Issues

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
beefaroni sublime tool
Hi everyone, I'm having some poor results when trying to combine normal maps in Substance Designer.

FIX: 1 set of normal maps had its green channel the wrong direction!!!

Anyways!

Also, what I see in the viewport is very different from what I see in engine. VERY different. I am using the PBR Spec/Glossy shader. In 3DO, everything looks great, UE4, and CE. Substance is the only app that I have a viewport issue with. You can see in the images, the reflection looks way different. It's to the point that I cannot use the app for texturing because the result is so different.

To clear up on the viewport problem, it's almost exactly identical to these problem.

http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=1851.0
http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,1629.msg7180.html

EDIT 2: Physically Based shader displays the gloss correctly, but the Physically Based Gloss/Spec does not.

So I'm wondering if this was addressed as the thread ended with
Hum, strange, in the last image I posted I did put both point lights color to black...

EDIT:
No you're right: while it wasn't a problem with the point lights, the metallic/roughness shader was just quite bright because of the HDRI image.
In other words, yes the metallic/roughness is correct, while the specular/glossiness seems to be broken.

Viewport
dT3FE9B.png

In Engine
iCHn8E4.png

Replies

• NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Not sure I understood if the problem was fixed ?

Note: the game engines usually compress the normal map and it can produce noise/artefacts

Nicolas
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Sorry if it wasn't clear.

I fixed the normal problem. The main problem is what I see in the viewport with the Physically Based Specular Gloss does not reflect what the textures look like in engine. The Physically Based shader seems to work fine; however, the Spec/Gloss does not.

Edit: Added these to the Allegorithmic forum as well, sorry for cross posting. Wasn't sure which to post on since there was a topic there as well.

Substance Designer
    zyuKEL3.png

Toolbag 2
    T8t5PEs.png

3DO
    Dyxgqrx.png
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    From what I see you are comparing the visual result in 3 completely different lighting situation.
    Since all these render engines (SD, Marmoset, 3D0) use image based lighting, this detail is critical.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yea, that was a bit stupid on my part, sorry.

I did do some more research into it and I think I have a fix that matches what I see in TB2, CryEngine, 3DO better. Info posted on your forums.

http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,1629.msg10080.html#msg10080
    1. I switched the environment, but I'm still having more or less the same problem.
    2. I am not using CGX, maybe I should switch
    3. Point light sources disabled
    4. Post effects off
    5. I am using a 780GTX with 3GB. Hopefully it is not running out of RAM

Yea, I guess my issue is that the black plastic and the red reflective metal piece seem to be really washed out compared to 3DO and Toolbag 2 (CryEngine as well but no screens from that).

Okay, as I was writing this, I came up with a solution that matches the other viewports better.

1. Multiply the Albedo map with the INVERSE of the specular map for Albedo channel.
    3. Push the multiple through a "Replace Color Range" with target color set at ~104.
    2. Use "Replace Color Range" with the Glossiness and set it at ~185 as the target color.

Edit: Oh and thank you :D. I'm just starting out with all of this new software (coming from V-Ray/Maya) so it seems I have a lot to learn.

Edit 2: From reading these forums, it seems like every software has its own maps curves; however, do you think it would be possible to add a PBR Spec/Gloss shader to Substance Designer 4 that matches other renders better? At least in the PBR Spec/Gloss, it seems to be pretty different from everyone else.

Image 1: Substance Designer without fixes
    usLongd.png

Image 2: Substance Designer with fixes
    JzLYd4k.png

Image 3: Toolbag 2
    IwwP0NK.png
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Sorry for wasting your time guys.

I ended up grabbing Toolbag 2.05 and everything looks much more similar. Now to test it out in CE.