Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for feedback/crit! (Hardsurface model)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Stirls polycounter lvl 8
Over the past few days I've been playing with hardsurface sculpting in zBrush, and I'm really enjoying it.

I was mostly inspired by some of the models I've seen on here, and was hoping to recieve some criticism from someone!

Fortunately, it's a work in progress. The image seems to be a bit skewed in the preview below, so it might be a good idea to expand it just in case.
A8AfKSM.png

Replies

• Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    The armor is very impractical. The way it is built it's impossible to walk or move your arms.
    I'd recommend to change the crotch, shoulders and elbows areas.

Why did you chose to sculpt it arm raised? Change it to an A pose to have better deformations when animated in game.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not too sure about why I used a T-Pose. I've commonly used that, but you're right. I'll switch it down to an arms-down pose.

It does look impractical. I'll rework some of the creases and curves!

EDIT: Popol, I changed the legs so that there's no armour plate where the bottom is, but fabric. This way he should be able to bend his legs around without much hassle. Not the best with folds in zBrush, but it'll do.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Another update for this thread, pretty happy with where this is going now. I'm still sort of worried about the stomach area and under the arms, as that looks like they won't deform well. We'll see.

4fd4U.png
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    i agree that it is impractical but from a modeling POV it look good and clean
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    i would really consider getting a transpose on those arms and bringing them down, their position is causing you to make some design choices around the lats and upper arm/deltoid region that wont make great sense once the arm is lowered, and the high T pose is making the torso look stretched. keep at it though man, its a promising start.

EDIT might be worth checking the size of those hands too, they look a bit on the small side
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    I second seth about the hands too small and the arms still too raised. Is it a metal pate under his armpit? If so it's still impossible to bring his arms down. It may sounds like I'm picking on small things but when designing armors or anything it's very important to make it practical because it will look more "believable" and thus look better.
    It would be good to rework the folds in the crotch area too. They should be horizontal, checks pants references.
    Other than that the design is really cool. Especially the helmet.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Much appreciated, guys!

Seth - I'll bring the arms down, I'm just worried about it stretching the model too much.

Popol - That's what the pants needed! Gotcha.

The hands are definitely too small. I'll resize them. Thanks for the help and encouragement :)

EDIT: I retopologized last night just to get a good idea of what it would look like. Considering the under-arms are going to be reworked, I'll have to throw out some of it, but it serves well as a dummy to see how the arms work.

You guys are right, it's going to look pretty terrible if I don't fix these arms quick-smart.

4fol5.jpg

Worked on it a bit more. Removed the large obstruction under the armpit, added fabric, and boosted the neck brace. It matches the shoulder guards so now there's less of an obstruction, more flow. Now we're getting somewhere.
    4fvIA.jpg
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Really like where this is going. Keep up the good work!
  • Rolang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rolang interpolator
    I think his arms are still way too short. Also it looks like his elbow is too close to the Axilla. Just keep working. I am really interested how it will look in the end :)
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Popol! Your input really helped to make it better :D

Rolang - It definitely looks like that from the arms-down pose. However, it might be torso that is too large. I'll experiment.

Here's a test texture on the 300k poly model. I have a 20k one, but I'd rather focus on getting the little details right first.

Hand-painted in zBrush. This is revision 2, because the first one was too similar to the Strogg from Quake 4! Hah!

4gjYz.jpg

...and this isn't nearly as finished. The back is still low-res. Might have jumped the gun on texturing, but we'll see.

4gloD.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Two preliminary renders, just to see how the textures fare with certain lights. Super grainy.

Personally, I think they'll work well! Except the gloves, they're a bit too bland.

Alright, I feel like I'm posting here too much. This site isn't a blog, afterall. My apologies.

bGwKgfH.jpg

2KJehHV.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8