Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Character Model critique please

rogermein1
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rogermein1 polycounter lvl 6
Hi

I've been working on a character model and would some critique on the model. I'm basically looking to see if anyone can spot deficiencies/things in the render.

Here is the main still image. The model is a possible character for an upcoming mobile app:

alhUV.jpg

Software used included 3DS Max, ZBrush, Mudbox and Photoshop for final composites. Final triangle count is 4497. Any critiques would be appreciated, especially things that I can improve. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• meletis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a pretty cool character and executed very well. The only thing that pops out to me as weird are the hand and their pose. The one holding the gun seems like its not really holding it, maybe move the fingers closer to each other so that it doesnt look so relaxed. Also the right hand seems to have a curve to it where the elbow bends which makes it look a little unnatural. As for the other hand id rotate the middle finger closer to the ring finger so that only the index finger is separated a lot for the others.
    The textures look very solid and the face is awesome!

Great look overall!
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Looks fine to me. After a certain point it more comes down to how cohesive of a universe you're going to portray in your game. As long as she fits in nicely with the other characters, lighting, animation, and environment she'll be good if you ask me.

Then again, I don't realllly know what I'm talking about ;p
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's not a BAD piece, but i think you've gone a bit overboard on the specular. it comes across as really contrasted with the diffuse and blows everything way out. you also need to look into defining materials a bit better, ie. make skin look different than fabric. at the moment they have the same values because of the specular.
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone

Thanks for all the critiques!

@ meletis, you're right it doesn't really look like she's holding the gun properly. Will fix that right away.

@pancakes. The character is for a horror/survival game which is why she's covered in so much blood. Hopefully she'll look good in action =).

@almighty_gir. You're right, her skin colors do look pretty contrasted. I actually bumped up the specular for this render because I wanted the character to stand out from the background. But I totally agree with you, her skin specularity should be toned down to separate it from the clothing.

Thanks again guys for all the crits!

rogermein1
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Aww, wanted to see, but I'm getting "The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available".
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Elyaradine

Hmmm, that's odd. Maybe this link will work:

g309V.jpg
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job, overall. Her elbows seem to be a bit noodle-like; maybe a sharper, more defined elbow joint would do the trick (it could also just be the perspective). The model overall does give an impression to be rather "heavy". Meaning the normal/specular maps appear to be too harsh in certain areas, like the hair for instance. More color variation could also give the pants and shirt more interest. Wicked stuff; keep it up!
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Imijatov! The elbows are one of my top priorities as well as re-orienting the fingers.

Oh, and I will definitely will fix the contrasts you mentioned (I think partly due to composites used in render which I will modify).

Great portfolio BTW, love the treasure hunter character!