Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    So epic :'O
    Very well done!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    This is so impressive, you obviously love what you do and it shows. You should be proud of yourself :)

I do have a question though and it stems from my naivity and not from your work but is there any chance you could post any kind of break down on modular pieces and tiling textures? I'm desperately trying to teach myself these disciplines and you've obviously nailed it :)
  • polyly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum, you should use capture_frames command.
    We can make 999fps movie! You can make 60fps video easily.
    Higher framerate make better result. :p
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Amazing work. Great job.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Flippin nice work man!
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you're work is amazing. I want to adopt kids with you...

But seriously, that's some freaking awesome work...I laughed at the character shadow flying by at 0:54 heh, sorry ;)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dang man, the amount of energy you've put in to this is inspiring. I really want to walk around in this environment - will that be possible? Stellar work so far.:thumbup:
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    [quote=ParoXum;1486839
    Almost all objects have a vertex color pass. Trebuchets do as well. It's mostly dirt/skylight lighting. I don't think a DVD for this would be worth it, the environment just feel rushed and most of the assets are not strong enough to stand alone.
    [/quote]

Thats is actually something thats worth showing in some cases, not every little asset has to be portfolio worthy, but because environments are usually impressive because of the whole picture its an important aspect to think about while creating work. is it really worth spending 10+ hours doing a highpoly/bake for every asset? you can re-use tiling textures and trim sheets to make a ton of stuff to fill your scenes with visual density and variety.

I really dig this scene and the amount of content you have cranked out, it seems like you are working smarter, not harder which is awesome.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    so awesome! i noticed the character shadow at 54 sec. also haha. this has been an inspirational project to watch, thanks. everything turned out completely awesome.
  • Colditz
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Ive been watching and this has turned out awesome! Good job!
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    As i hoped, the video captures the grandness of the map - awesome work!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Oh god . . . this is so good. I'm really glad you took it all the way to a finish! What an epic project :) Will be looking out for whatever you start next
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    For those interested I wrote a small post mortem on my blog, going over what worked, what did not, and what maybe could have been improved.

http://usethesnap.blogspot.com/2011/12/fort-highness-post-mortem-for-christmas.html

Jessica:
    Thanks for the kind words :) I hope you do so on your handpainted level. I've been following that closely :)

beancube: yeah it also reveals a few flaws, but I did my best to not show too much crap in the video :P

shrew81,Joshflighter,Mcejn,Drew++:
    cheers dude!

Colditz: yeah they contacted me about it, always fun to see what gamers think of non playable stuff.

coots7,theslingshot: yeah I left it on purpose when I noticed it :P Thought it would be fun to see who notices first here.

PixelMasher:
    Thanks, and I agree completely, great critique.

adam: hell if I could, but I'm not doing so because it's been made on an older licensee version of the C3. I tried to import the map in FreeSDK but it would fuck things up :)

luke: I agree it would be nice to have a night scene sometime. I would not want to make it on a scene that has been worked on daytime tho, since it wasn't thought for night lighting in terms of composition. For this reason I'd prefer to make an absolutely dark map from the ground up.

polyly: I tried it for fun but I'm lacking a good video editing software to create a smooth video from series of pctures. Maybe next time :)

Mathew O:
    Thanks dude, half proud for sure. There's already some texture breakdowns in this topic and on my blog if you follow the link in my signature.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Environment looks brilliant, glad you pulled it through and finished it :) Your Post mortem is also a great read as the rest of your Blog. Inspiring work from you as always.

Congrats this is a great addition to your portfolio !
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Great end result!

How did you do the more distant mountains. Especially the ones right behind the top part of the castle?

Is that hand modeled then imported or done in the engine with terrain?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    ParoXum wrote: »

valley_016.jpg

been meaning to ask this for a long time. your AO+normal G-B soup layer.. do you take the green and blue channel, and multiply them with the AO? or do you take the green and its inverse as well? what sort of benefits do you get from the extra channels from the normal map
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Sinergy11: The mountain in the background were simply sculpted with the basic terrain tools ;)

Oniram: When you bake your normal map in -Y you can flip it to have a from up kind of lighting, put that in Pin Light on top of your AO. I don't always do it, but helps giving a slight lighting information to your diffuse. You can also level it and use it as Linear Dodge to make sharp highlights.

But for this to work you have to have your UV islands pointing up in your UVs, or else this 'lighting' will create seams at borders.
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Turned out great Vincent. Good job!
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Ive been following this for a while now, it turned out great, great work :)