Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AR-15

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
A_GAME polycounter lvl 11
Hey Polycount!
So I've been working on this AR15. I don't do much hard surface stuff, so I was not sure what approach to take. I started out with a basic block out and then proceeded to model every piece individually, and put it together. Here is what I have so far. I could use a little direction. I intend to bake it to a low poly game model and texture it as well. Any input you guys have , (I figure someone here has tackled one of these before) I would appreciate it!progress03.jpg
(edited for grammar mistakes)

Replies

• Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I think you have some proportion issues. The handguard at the front looks too long. The barrel after the sight looks too long and thick too, the front sight post looks a bit small. The shape of the flash hider looks off, as it should be a bit larger than the barrel. The magazine looks to curved, like an AK mag. The magwell is very blocky and square. The grip looks very blocky and unergonomic. The rear sights look odd, the standard m16a1 (iirc) doesn't look like that. The shapes in the upper reciever look odd, that tube section looks weird and there's no shell ejection port and dust cover.The push-bolts on the reciever, you've modelled that in, when it's a lot easier to use floating geometry. I think you need to follow reference a bit closer.

Good effort though, keep on truckin.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Map a side view reference pic to a plane and use alt x to make your geometry semi transparent. This will help to keep things in proportion. Also, unless your AR15 is chambered for the 7.62x39 round instead of 5.56, that's the wrong magazine. Here is a pic to show the reference set up I'm talking about.
    Ref.jpg
  • A_GAME
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A_GAME polycounter lvl 11
    Wow! Thanks for the critiques guys! I definitely need to follow the reference closer. I can't believe i used the wrong magazine :/ Oh well. All part of the learning process!
  • tigg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check your references. it looks like you're modelling off of the 'idea' of an ar15, and not an actual ar15.
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Austin! Looks like a good start. There are minor proportion issues as mentioned, but overall you have the pieces coming together. It's hard to tell, have you begun setting up edge loops for your hard surface model? Once you have the broad strokes, it really helps to get multiple reference shots for each part of the gun. So maybe 3 or 4 really detailed shots of the upper receiver, for example, might be a huge help as you flesh this stuff out.