Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help me be become not-so-sucking artist :3

Hey guise, I present you my very first character that I'm actually going to finish! ^^

3129xc3.jpg

What can I do to make her not suck so much?

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Well..to not make her suck..the first and foremost thing is to learn proper human anatomy. Practice drawing the form and shapes on paper until all the muscles and flesh and proper locations and placement are grilled into your brain. Then maybe try modeling. Learn to walk before you can run
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Her proportions seem a little off as well, but yes hammer your anatomy. You need to really go over the human anatomy with a fine tooth comb. Learn everything you can about anatomy. Then take another run at it.
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell, I can't see for s**t errors in my anatomy/proportions (according to graphs/charts/etc. everything is in order) :/ Could you be more speciffic please? Pretty please? ^^'
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Hell, I can't see for s**t errors in my anatomy/proportions (according to graphs/charts/etc. everything is in order) :/ Could you be more speciffic please? Pretty please? ^^'

It's a tough one. In reality it has many issues. If I were to crit one specific area, it would leave the rest of it out in the open. So the only fair crit I can think of is simply a blanket "learn more anatomy". But that's obviously not so helpful.

The clue here is that you cannot see anything wrong with it. Which means you need to develop an eye for proportions and shape.

You should really set out a VERY specific goal before you start something like this. Maybe find some piece of art from an artist you like where the proportions are awesome (in your opinion). Then make a character that imitates those proportions. Basically copy that one aspect from him, but have the rest be yours. If at a loss, a good source for this is anatomy books. There's tons of gold in those that you can try and implement into your art.

Then once you've hit that goal, that's how you know you're done with it. If you find yourself in a situation like this, where you know there's stuff wrong with it, but you don't know what, then that's a sign you didn't accomplish your goals (or that you didn't have any).

My best advice then would be to call this one done, and start on another one with a specific goal in mind. Then once that one is done (when you've hit your goal), call that one done and move on to the next one. And so on and so forth. Two or three of those down the line, and this character you posted here will look like total crap even to you. That's when you remove it from your portfolio.

Hope this helps. Just my 2cents on this.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok for the anatomy/proportions...

First off. Remove the head and armor from the body and check proportions to a human female of the same build of your character. Not the concept art, but actual human photos.
    You can find good resources at 3d.sk if you don't have any reference already.

Look at the image and your model from front side and 3/4th view and if you still can't see what is wrong with it. Print screen and place your screen cap over the correct image and see where the body is off from the reference.

Then make sure the head matches up with reference as well.

It might be just me but does the character have normal maps on it besides the skin suit? If so the normals are doing nothing for it. Go back and re sculpt once you have correct shapes. Make sure you do bigger and deeper sculpting, push it farther then you currently have. You seem to have only secondary detail in the normal map and you need to have some primary detail.

Lastly the textures variation is quite boring. The only part of the image that is interesting to look at is the red "tie" bit on the chest. Maybe incorporate that same red and white other places on the armor to match the rest of the armor with that piece.

Sorry I can't be more specific, and I hope that helps.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry double post.
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You honestly don't see the difference in execution between this and your image?

Proportions are more than just the length of the arms in relation to the torso. It's the girth of the arms, the size of the eyes in relation to the head, the momentum of the curves. For example, if you place your hand and lower arm flat on the table, you'll notice that the there is a gap under the wrist. If your character did that, it would lie flat on the table with no difference in height or flow.

I will give you the most important lesson you need to learn: Start thinking critically, start COMPARING with your reference images each step on the way. You really need to gather the proper reference and stop using "charts" and "graphs" -- and start using your observant eye.
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4898391/crit.jpg Here's a quick paintover for some of the big picture stuff.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Julmust has it absolutely right. You really need to analyze the forms that make up each piece not just technical aspect. You might be able to name every muscle in the body, but can you describe its form. Get more than just orthogonal reference. Find nude women in all kinds of positions so that way you can see how the form changes depending on the angle you are look at. If this character was a real person she would be flat and without real shape.
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, that was most helpful. I'll get to work right away :)
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I doing it right? Is she any better (still no hair, gotta re-sculpt that breastplate)? http://oi56.tinypic.com/w2gcv6.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I think you should push the feminine curves just bit more before you continue on with the clothing.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shoulders seem too wide compared to small legs and hips?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    learning to make characters is basically this:

learn the anatomy

done

the rest is just little models.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    For the updated post:
    The arms seem very thin compared to the chest as do the legs. Seems bigger thighs are needed to support the bigger chest. Arms look like they could be a bit longer too.