Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Polycount Study Group D

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
This thread is for feedback and brainstorming for the work of those in Group D. Everyone is welcome to post critique but please refrain from posting outside work if you are not currently assigned to the group.

Alright guys have fun and start posting. :)

Replies

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Boo Yaa!

OK...so I guess we just post our chosen project for the group. I started one the other day knowing that this study group thing might kick off. So here we go.

I spose I should post a mission statement with this as well, so you guys know what I want to achieve with this.

Mission Statement:
    Even though I've been in the games industry for a few years now, doing characters and other stuff. I've never actually completed a "next-gen" character from start to finish. So I've chosen a character that I dont need to worry about concepting or extra attachments (guns, etc). Nice and simple, but well executed is the key to this one.

Goal
    Complete next gen character, usual texture maps and restrictions
    Realism to the max
    Study in cloth, hair and texture
    Import into UDK

Heres she is. Jordan Two Delta from the Island (Scarlett Johansson)
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scarlett+johansson+the+island&hl=en&prmd=ivnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZPLXTfzlMse6hAekrrm7Bg&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1033&bih=711

ZBrush timelapse movie crashed on me twice so only have a turntable. :(

Crit already recieve in WAYWO from Robat:
    the tip of her nose seems rather bulbous and the height of her nostrils looks tall. Then there's the B.I.G. eyes..

Which I agree with and will be rectifying in the next update.

j2d1.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvR8PrLKb0[/ame]

BTW, for any feedback please be brutal.

GROUP D RULEZ!!!
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just from looking at it off the bat, it looks like you need to turn off the mirror brush and start sculpting the subtle differences between the sides of the face. You would be shocked to see how different the sides of people's faces are.

Go and sculpt the ears, they are at this point "Just ears" and not her ears. Get some good photo refs and sculpt them. Do not forget the back of her ears either.

ScarlettJohansson_TheIsland_hkb1.jpg

See she has some wonkey looking ears.

Besides that look at the pictured woman's cheeks from the side view you can see that there is a line from her nose to the sides of her chin (I forgot what it is called sorry), that line conceals part of her lips. Yes she is smiling in these pictures, but in your sculpt you do not have represented at all.

sorry I can't give more feedback but I gots to go.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    See...this group crit idea is already awesome!

Thanks Killaball. Yep. Symmetry will be switched off in the next pass, I just like to get the structure down first. Which I think is pretty much there now. The ears are pretty much just a blockout atm.

I've added a bit of a cheek line that you mention and I've also fixed the nose as robat suggested.

Thanks for that "The Island" Reference btw. Bottom right image of her looking up will be invaluable. I've got the DVD which i'll play through and grab some good shots. If anyone has other good reference please link me. Anything like costume design images would be great as well.

Next step: A-symmetry, ears, moving onto body proportion.

j2d2.jpg

This time the timelapse worked. Not alot to see as its micro movement but it gives a good all round view of the head. I find these timelapse awesome to look back at to self crit. I recommend it to any ZBrushers, or infact any art process really. Just ZB makes it super easy to do.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW2WCrdAcyY[/ame]
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry if I'm not in this group, but just one thing that sticks out to me the face is too elongated in the side view. The jaw and neck transition needs to be smoothed out and maybe come in a bit. Maybe the forehead needs to a be a bit higher too.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Calabi, the threads are open to everyone. No need to turn away any ideas!

Stinger I think you should try softening the features some. The bridge of her nose and brow seem very intense.

Can you post a higher res version? I'm thinking the eye shape is a bit off.

scarjoeye.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks guys. Will defo look at the issues you've pointed out. Having step away from it a bit I think the chin/jaw line is a bit long. Maybe the neck needs bringing forward. I'll also try and soften the features

If i'm to get this as real as possible i'll have to get much better reference. So thats the next step.

Heres a hi-res image
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jVJE2H_kfNo/TdgXJqG_QDI/AAAAAAAAAe0/kFKcWMOeOfQ/s1600/J2D_2.jpg

BTW: where are my fellow group D'ers. Get some work posted!
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    maybe some of us don't post often? or haven't even read it's up yet?

figure I'd post something fast since you're so into it already :D

I think the bridge of her nose protrudes a bit too much, and is too low, based on all the reference.

her upper lip is a bit taller too, and curls up more.
    and the space between her nostrils looks too narrow.

looking forward to more.
  • barri allen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The name in latin is "sulcum naso-labialis" (i.e. approx "nose-to-lip-groove"; how sensible!).

I see that you have added that shallowness under cheekbones, that's right.
    Besides, you can see that she has no real "sulcum" in the photos, but a sort of "puff" around the mouth's end that is very peculiar. Also, the ear's lobe is very round and thick, another very personal feature.
    What a good work is coming out!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    My 2 cents for what it's worth:
    First of all, it's a nice model so far with a lot of definition, but it's looking a bit masculine at the moment.

I would downplay some things such as the creases from the sides of the nostrils to either side of the mouth, and the definition under the eyes. She's obviously a very attractive woman so I think it's important to make sure that idea gets across and not get caught up in details that may be realistic, but ultimately unflattering. You don't want to capture her when she just woke up after a troubled night- you want to capture her in movie star mode (or at least I would).

As Calabi pointed out, her head looks elongated in side view (face too far forward from ears). I also think her mouth is a tad too low and should be closer to the nose (I know you built it right off that front view photo, but it feels low to me). Your brow ridge is a little strong and wide.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    cmalesculpt1.jpg
    Working on absolutely nothing impressive... just trying to learn Zbrush a bit more and do a bit of anatomy studying. I haven't really touched the hands much, still trying to get the shape of them right.
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alemja, he's only 5 heads high.
    men are usually 7.
    though, it looks like he may just have too much jaw
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies for not getting in on this .. have my final year animation due in on Thursday and I'm....up to my neck in it lol.
    Will get working on something next weekend :D
    I want to do hard surface modelling props/scenes as well, I want to get much better at that before even starting on floppy people modelling.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Apologies for not getting in on this .. have my final year animation due in on Thursday and I'm....up to my neck in it lol.
    Will get working on something next weekend :D
    I want to do hard surface modelling props/scenes as well, I want to get much better at that before even starting on floppy people modelling.

We could always crit your animation until next week ;D
    Alemja wrote: »
    Working on absolutely nothing impressive... just trying to learn Zbrush a bit more and do a bit of anatomy studying. I haven't  really touched the hands much, still trying to get the shape of them right.

Looks like you've jumped into sculpting too soon, which is fine if you want to mess about in ZB. but if you are studying anatomy as well then you should get the proportions correct first. I wouldn't even begin thinking about hands just yet. Legs look short, waist is high and narrow, upper arms are short, armpits are wrong and head is large.

Take the sub division to its lowest and start messing about with the move tool. Might be good to bring in a reference image as well. The Image Plane plugin here makes it very easy and allows you to make the mesh transparent. Which I find very helpful.

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/zplugins/
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hokey dokey, I shall get some kind of images up before I leave for uni :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ok...more scuplting. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've softened her features a bit and lots of other little things, which add up to quite a change imo. Anyway. I think i'm ready to start the a-symmetry but I think i'll move onto the body and get that up to speed before I get into the micro detail.

Again I made a ZBush movie that crashed. I saved it before exporting but it crashes at the same place every time. Annoying!!! So only a turntable again.

j2d3.jpg

Hi res: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-REeYDvvjqmg/TdrDXk4gzDI/AAAAAAAAAe8/981ht2nfwbU/s1600/J2D_3.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSAy7n9HK1s[/ame]
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I might as well post my wip. I did trace it but I'm practicing getting the form/values.

Not sure if anyone can crit it but I do have two questions if anyone is able to answer. Blending I here everyone say you should just use a hard edged brush(its really difficult, cheek area, and nose not good), but I've seen some proffesion artists, use soft edge brush's.

Another thing, I'm using almost the same values as my ref, though the objects in the ref seem to have more form like the teeth for instance, I'm not sure why that is.

facepracticeprogresspos.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    @ Calabi: Can you post the reference please. It'll help us crit.

Heres my update:

Started on the body proportion and first pass on the hands. I'll not be going into too much muscle detail on the body as she'll be full clothed but i'll block some in before I make the clothing geo.

I still need to find good reference for the clothing and wrist band things. Even though i've scanned through the film I havent got very good reference. I know that Puma made the shoes as well. So i'll try and track them down.

j2d4.jpg

hi res:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D_zthSWhibo/Tdwl7vS5XkI/AAAAAAAAAfI/4N6nOUZR97M/s1600/J2D_4.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bobh4Eo-yzs[/ame]
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry it took so long, but here's what I'm working on right now.

it's a mech, obviously. Aiming for infantry support as it's main role.
    intended to be about 4-5m tall, with a single pilot in the torso (front hatch)

right now, I'm at a low/medium detail high poly pass for baking normals/maps.
    and intending it to be a rather detailed low poly asset, complete with cockpit and pilot.

the concept I made is rough, and more intended as a guide at this point, and I'm changing it a bit as I model.

my main concerns far are that I'm never gonna finish, and worrying the details don't have enough theme to tie them together.

wip03l.jpg

wip14.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    looking sweet confracto. Silhouettes good and it looks like a functional mech.

Not a great deal to crit tbh. Maybe the hands look a little dainty and I think I prefer the head design in the concept. Might be good to add some a-symmetry in the arms so that each arm has a different function, one hand, one demolition claw or something. Thats all i've got i'm afraid. Look forward to more.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    cmalesculpt2.jpg

I made a changes based on critiques, and thanks they really helped, and I think it's coming along better now, although I'm sure there are still trouble areas. I tried to do some gesture drawings today and yeah... definitely a bit out of shape when it comes to anatomy.

@Calabi Have you tried a hard brush with pressure sensitivity (presuming you have a tablet) set to opacity? That could help, also when you use the brush tool hold down the alt key to switch to the color picker tool and let go to switch back to your brush tool. It really helps with blending. Also if you try other brushes like a chalk brush it might make things a little easier, plus it gives it a nice texture while you paint. I use mostly the chalk brush to draw and I find it more natural and enjoyable than just a boring circle brush. Also try not to focus on creating lines, but rather just block out the forms instead
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Alemja. Thats what I have been doing, but I end up going backwards and forwards and end up not getting anywhere. I guess it takes lots of practice.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I have been working a little bit. Kind of hard though i don't have as much time as I would like to sculpt each day it seems.

Here are two heads I did. Each I only put about 2-4 hours into sadly. I wish they looked farther along in those two hours but I was more worried about correct shape then detail. And what is sadder still is I still don't think I got the shapes right.

Genericmalehead.jpg
    Male head

Genericfemalehead_sculpt.jpg
    Female head

I sculpted each head from a polysphere in zbrush.
  • Call Me Snoopy
    Ok, I think it's time I posted something. :D
    I've been working on this for a long time.... /me is lazy. >_>

Anyways, I've done this much so far.
    I will be redoing the sight and reworking the end of the barrel.

ar15_wip_01248673.png
    ar15_wip_012463463.png
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Alemja : I threw up your stuff with some orthographic shots. They're not exact but I tried lining them up close so hopefully it helps. I think the thighs could be a bit longer. You're missing the inner head of the quadriceps that round out by the knee.

ortho.jpg

Killaball: Looks pretty good man. Don't get discouraged just keep on working on it. Try to keep the skull in mind when working on the head.

skullri.jpg

confracto : if thats your low poly pass the high will look awesome.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    how does one go about getting assigned to a group?

• LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    New Groups are going up this week. Everyone needs to PM me on Polycount (LRoy). Include your Facebook and Skype names. Also whether you prefer a Character or Environment group. If you do not do this you will not be placed in a group.
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, Lroy, it's a highpoly pass, but it's low detail for now. just making sure all the parts, movement and shapes work before I add more seams and bolts and such.

Stinger, I like your idea for a demolition claw on one hand. I'd thought about adding other armament on the arms, but I'm waiting till I get farther before I attempt it. I think I might go for a battering ram :D

regarding the hands looking a bit dainty, I'd sized them based on what clears for the shotgun/grenade launcher underneath, so while I agree, I'm not sure what I can do about it without changing a lot of other elements.

snoopy, the rifle looks good. stop being lazy and finish it!