Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Will's Art Thread

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
Sup everyone, I've been currently posting all my work in my skectchbook, but I wasnt getting as many comments as I would like, so I decided I would get more views posting in here. A bit selfish I suppose, but oh well I need some crits! So here is my most recent work, a speed asset I suppose about an hour of work, I really need to work on my spec maps and materials. Used blender, Xnormal and GIMP And used blender for the final render.

[URL="[URL]http://img195.imageshack.us/i/rockrender.png/"]rockrender.png[/URL[/URL]]
Uploaded with [URL="[URL]http://imageshack.us"]ImageShack.us[/URL[/URL]]
render

[URL="[URL]http://img84.imageshack.us/i/rocktexturesheet.jpg/"]rocktexturesheet.jpg[/URL[/URL]]
texture sheet I know this isnt a portfolio ready sheet but all I need are crits THIS is definetly not going in a folio

Thanks
-Will

Oh, and is it possible to change your forum name?

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I find that a noise map spec works best for rocks like these. It gives off a nice crystalline shine to them. Give it a shot. Photoshop> Filters > Noise and you are done! :)

Edit: Just noticed you use gimp and not photoshop. Well, there must be a way to make a simple black and white noise map.
    Also, it looks like you took a photo, and smudged some parts in a circular pattern. Look at references. You won't see any blurry spots on a rock, they always have nice sharp details. Try adding some dirt uniformly, perhaps some moss? Or fungi.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the info about the spec i will definetly try that out :) And there is a noise filter in gimp :) I can do everything in GIMP I can do in photoshop

And those smudges you're talking about are my AO map, the UV Map is circular like that, and I will try that :)

And does anyone know whats up with this? I loaded up lauren's shader and this always loads up with random color that I can't figure out how to stop. Any ideas? I'm using an intel media accelarator

shaderissue.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks
    -Will
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for the double post, but I fixed the problem, and it looks a lot better than the blender render I think, crits and comments as always :)

rocktest.jpg

Thanks
    -Will
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Look at references.
    This.

The work you've shown so far doesn't look like any rock I've seen. It looks too rounded and kind of lumpy, rather than shaped from the different types of weathering, which make crevices and sharper edges.

Gather a bunch of ref, study it and apply it.

Like Proph said, it could do with some smaller detail, probably best made with a simple noise overlay. You could also put some slight noise in your normal map.

It also looks like a channel on your normal map might need flipping, too.

Keep on.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment glynn, Yeah I didn't use any ref for this, just freestlyed it, I will definetly use ref for my next rock :)

Anyway, fixed up my spec a little and added some moss and got xoliul shader to finally work properly. CandC always

rockrendermoss.jpg

Once I'm done with this I think I'll do a cobblestone/Brick floor

Thanks
    -Will
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    thanks, i always wanted my own thread just for me... but in all seriousness it doesn't look bad but the texture you have not with the model you have doesn't make since, its round like a river rock but seems to be rough like other stone.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, willy but your crit about my texture just doesnt make sense, I dunno what you're trying to get at, But I think you mean that the texture doesnt make sense for the model, but I'm not positive. So for now I'm calling the rock done until I understand willy's comment :)

Alright heres another one, did it in I'd say about 2 to 3 hours from start to finish, and the majority of that time was trying to get xoliul shader to work, but I did, and so here are the renders. I'm not entirely done, since I think the spec is too bright in some areas, and I need to add some stuff to the normal, but I don't have any time now to work on that, so here it is. Modeling was done in about 10 minutes, and everything else to up the rest of the span of time. I'd give about an hour each for texturing and fiddling with the shader

sheetwip2.jpg

-Thanks
    Will

PS sorry for not posting flats will get them up tommarow :)
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    I think you should be putting more thought into your prop selection and looking up reference. It's good your starting to understand shaders and different texture maps, but start with the basics. So far I've seen 3 models from you, and two of them are nearly nondescript and lack style.

Keep it up, try modeling something based off reference, and take more time on your textures. You'll get it, it just takes time.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment :) I'm just wondering, which ones were the nondescript ones? After this I really don't know what I'm doing, but I still wanna keep it simple, and I'll be sure to gather good ref for future projects :) Oh and if by style you are refering to say, Neox's generally cartoonish models, I'm really not focused on fining my own style right now, now, I'm just trying to create the most realistic quality art I can at my skill level, which at the moment is not great but I hope will Improve with this thread. And althought, to tell you the truth, I am loving the fucked up look, maybe that'll be my style, overly intense fucking up :)

Alright, I fixed up the spec and added a little to the normal, looks better now I think.

sheetwip2.jpg

and there are texture flats this time
    200z293.jpg
    CandC always

Thanks,
    -Will
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well just because its realistic doesn't mean it can't have style. Take a look at any game out there, you'd be hard pressed to find an asset that is just "fucked up". Come up with a back story, why are you assets so messed up? It looks like you took tons of brushes downloaded from the internet and placed them randomly all over a square mesh.

Which brings me to my next point, this "plane" and that first "blob" are very nondescript, because without a diffuse you would think they are basic geometric shapes. I see on your plane you have an accordion-like fold for the normal map, does this mean this is a piece of sheet metal? How is this sheet metal standing up?

With just a tad more thought, you could have easily combined these two assets into the start of a scene. Put the metal sheet laying on the ground or even sticking itself out from the dirt. Now bring your rock into the scene by placing a few on the ground, be careful not to just copy and paste though because then it would look quite repetitive.

If you take a step back and asked yourself "would I wanna play a game with these assets in them?" I can almost guarantee that you will say no. Make them interesting, put some thought into your art, trust me it will show through in the end.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow hardcore crit right there mike, but I do agree with you on everything, thank you for the great comment. I will definetly use all this info for this project

Alright, here's what I'm planning on doing, Its a wooden bench, very simple and in my skill level, and I thought it would be good practice for wood objects, seeing my last try at wooden objects (church entrance) didn't turn out so well. So here's my ref, and I'm thinking about how I'm gonna use the final assest, and maybe a small park scene would be cool. Anyway, here are my refs http://freetextures.3dtotal.com/index.php?iset=1469&pp=

And here's what I have so far, very simple blockout, no detailing so far, but now I'm gonna add control edges to everything and then do a noise pass CandC welcome as always

benchwip1.jpg

Edit: Alright I was planning on updating the thread, but you know, max crashed and I lost a lotta work, my fault for not saving, so I'm really not that excited to redo everything so I'll get a fresh start on the bench tomarow. But for now, I've been planning a character, I know again, and hopefully I'll finish this one. This time its a futuristic goblin, yep I said it, a goblin with space armor and a plasma rifle :p not sure about that yet, but I have gathered some ref and I plan on getting it started once I'm done with the bench. But first a little backstory on my guy, I like to do this with my characters before I begin drawing them.

Backstory: The goblins were always an inferior race in the land of sarion. They were the servants and slaves of the humans, elves and dwarves, until they finally got sick of it, and started what was now known as the great flee, where the goblins ran away from there owners, most of the time violently and almost started a war between the races. But, the goblins fled underground to be rid of there owners. They stayed underground for many years, surviving off of underground creatures and stealing from the world above at night. Eventually,the race advanced and progress, and became as advanced as all the other races. It has been a millenia since the great flee, and the goblines are ready to come back to the surface and fight again. The particular character I plan on creating is named Janus, and he is fighting for his father, who got killed in the great flee by his owners when he tried to escape.

I didn't wanna bump the thread since the project is still REALLY earlier but I thought it would be interesting to post :)

Thanks again
    -Will
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Its really hard to give some actual critics at this stage, but i think that the plans where the people seat should be a bit thiner
    You should check autodesk page and search for max updates, they realse bug fixes for them, if it keeps crashing check you video drivers and direct x maybe it helps
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment man :) I did download the hotfix, but unfortunatly not much help. Oh well. Here's the finished high poly (I hope) I shouldve finished it way faster, but I dawdled a lot. Anyway, here's the render, after my turbosmooth pass and my noise pass. I love GI renders, they just look really cool. And I know there isnt a lot of surface detail but I'll be adding that in with overlays in GIMP

25yu4pj.jpg

So yeah, any innacuracies you see or anything or any other comments or crits post away :)

Once I'm done with this I'll start on the goblin, I already have some drawings done, Once I scan them I'll post em up

Thanks,
    -Will

Edit: Didnt want to double post, so I'll just post the update in this one. Finished the low poly, thats about it.

benchwip2.jpg

• Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much more thought out model, thats what I like to see. The only crit I have are some extra edge loops on your low poly on the back legs, and some improvement as far as saving some tris here and there. Remember, low poly meshes don't need to be made up of only quads. Keep up the good work
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mike :) And I agree with you on the polies, so I took away a couple loops where it didnt affect the shilloete much (excuse the poor spelling lol) and merged some verts, I always tend to forget tris don't matter in low poly models. Well, it started off at 320 and went down to 280

benchwip2.jpg

Thanks,
    -Will
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like it could come out well... you should definitely try to replicate that awesome pollen on the back side of it.

Also... max autosaves every 5 minutes >.> can be found in your My Documents folder under MyDocuments/3dsmax/autoback
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, my max doesnt use that folder for autosave, it uses that folder to store recovered crash files. But anyway, update, had many difficulties with the normal map on this guy, but I think I finally got it (possibly) so here it is, still some minor editing to do, but nothing to terrible I think.

benchwip3.jpg

I've also started the diffuse, but not enought to show yet

Thanks,
    -Will
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE started texturing, just the just the base, gotta do the dirt pass, moss pass, etc

benchwip4.jpg

Thanks,
    -Will
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possibly a pointless update, but I finished the base pass, the dirt pass and I've started the moss pass, just wanna know If I'm headed in the right direction

benchwip5.jpg

Thanks,
    -Will
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Nice. But maybe rethink the position of the green - i would set it to areas, not touched that often. And the arm/back rest seems to me used very often. I would colorize the lower part of the bench more brownish/greenish. You could also add some saturation to the whole bench and only desaturate the areas which are used very often: arm/back rest and the seat area.

Some nails could also bring nice detail and maybe a heart cut in the wood ;)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just following my ref man, and if you look at it, that thing is off road, right next to trees, that thing hasn't been used in YEARS, hate to justify anything but I'm just following my ref, you can take a look at it if youd like, Ive linked it in earlier posts
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry to not post on this sooner but you need some bolts IMO. something to fasten the boards together.

Something is wrong with your normals on the arm rests. Usually this happens to me because i forget to turn off my wireframe in photoshop before saving...don't know if that is the case here.

I might just be picky but your wood looks way to dry for moss. i'm not sure if moss is the way to go on this model.

Are these for a scene?
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, just assest practice, and I havent picked up the spec yet, just diffuse and normal view, and I don't know how I'm gonna fix that error, I split the UVs and its still there, and more padding didn't help, And I do have bolts that i'm gonna describe in the texture :)
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smoothing group error maybe?
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, but I think its just that the normal map was too curved in that area. Alright, I'm calling it done, redid everything, and I learned more than you can imagine on this thing. I uved it three times and textured it twice lol.

2irvmfs.jpg

Thanks,
    -Will
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    i like it :) some nails would be a fine dotted detail but it's a relly nice bench :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright I did update the bench and made it a bit better, but i don't have any pics, but i do have pics for a new project, a barrel... of course not the most exciting object but I thought that everyone has to do a barrel at some point.

barrelwip1.jpg

the high polie's done, gonna start the low poly now
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I sortof started a game project, still in the idea stage but I wanted to make some assets I know are going to be used often, so I cooked up some sheet metal and this knife, because it a post apocalyptic game. And so here's the first weapon the player will have, a knife of course, just a very simple wood knife, I still need to personalize it to the player with some text but here's a test bake

knifetestbake.jpg
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, more newby goodness :) I decided to work on a full enviro for once. A level I hope. And basically the player lives in a city thats pridominantly building based. And by that I mean nobody EVER leaves the buildings. They're all interconnected by walkways and other means of transportation, and house everything you might need and more, so there's really no reason to go down. But, the player decides to, and finds that the lower he/she goes, the more poor it becomes, until you walk out of you building and it becomes a full-on slum. I kinda got inspired by the polycount project going on now. And I thought itd be good practice, here are some ideas and really rough sketches, (ive changed the walkways) but the general idea is there.

scanpic0003.jpg

Any crits, comments, or thoughts you might have, feel free to post em.

Thanks,
    -Will
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, here's a wood pallet I made. Not much else to say lol here's the high poly

woodpallethigh.jpg

Thanks,
    Will
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5 post in a row!!! woot!!! I'm not done with the pallet, but I did a quick 10 minute high poly practice, all quads if I might add :) I'm getting better at it I think.

bolthighrender.jpg

Thanks pedro for the ref :) (got it from the vid where you said fuck a lot :p)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A hi poly dock for an enviro

dockhighscreen.jpg

Thanks,
    Will
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    subwayentrancelow1.jpg

Sorry for the shitty image. WIP new york city subway entrance, just a normal map with base colors and AO so far, about 60 or 70 percent of the mesh is instanced, viewed in xoliul shader
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wood pallets typically look much more beat up than that. For something post-apoc it's extremely unconvincing, considering the normal wear and tear a typical every day pallet shows.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL bro you commented on a piece I did about 5 monthes ago, thanks for the crits tho you might want to look at the post dates :p
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    subwayentrancelow2.jpg

ok so yeah rough texturing just some overlays so far
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot0i.jpg

alright so re-texturing this after I got my new rig the other day, still WIP, with the diffuse as the spec. liking this one tons more, and comments or crits are more than welcome :)

edit: screenshot1tk.jpg

calling this final. three 2048 by 2048 maps and 4028 triangles
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wowza, you could probably do with just one map for this piece. also i would suggest getting it inside udk and taking shots from there. marmoset is awesome, but i feel like you need the concrete and stairs going down. you could just use bsp in udk
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn lol it is one map i meant as theres one diffuse one spec one normal.. equaling three lol my bad. And I know you've advised that before but I think I'm just going to call it quits now and move on to something different
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so now here's a shameless crosspost from the WAYWO, a high poly model of a chain link fence for a possible scene. Which I've been thinking of after the sucess of the subway entrance. I already have 3 tiling textures and this high poly model so I think its going well for now.

fencehighpolyrender.jpg

I'll post more info once I have more work to show

any crits or comments would be awesome :)
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I'm glad you decided to make the subway entrance your own, instead of completely copying the texture palette. I actually like your version, in the last image, better than the one used in the cgtuts tutorial.

I can see an steady improvement over the brief course of this thread, keep up the good work.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i didn't even follow the tutorial just saying lol i just liked the subject. And thanks bro! Saying that you like mine over a professionals means tons to me! And I'll try my best :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot1kd.jpg

so ya medevil market stall, sculpted in zbrush, and my first time using the cloth simulator for a high poly model to bake. Looks ok I think.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 wrote: »
    Looks ok I think.

Yes it does, but it's a few planks of wood and a plane.

Come on now man, challenge yourself a bit!

Everything in this thread is practically a primitive or two with a texture on it.

I really can't believe you bothered to use cloth sim on that market stall too, You coulda just used a plane with like 2 cuts in it to fold it over. You only need to bother with cloth sims when you need it to, erm, simulate cloth folds/drapery realistically. I'm pretty sure you coulda figured out how that cloth was gonna fold yourself!

I don't mean to be harsh, but lets see an environment, or at least a highly detailed asset with a complete high>low workflow. You've clearly got the ability to pull it off, just go for it.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bastardo!! telling me to challange myself!! ppff

nah i agree with you (cept the subway isnt really primitive methinks and i do use a hipoly>low workflow with every game asset i do). But I mean really I get intimidated very easily by lots of detail, a fear I have to get over, and I can never think of something to make!! never!! It takes me forever to think of what I want to make.. but I do need an environment...really badly....i think its time to look up some scifi concept art!!! Yeah and I got the cloth sim idea from Uly's environment, probably should of hand sculpted it >.<

thanks for the comment man, next post I will have an environment concept handy and plans!!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea. I totally know what you mean, tackling a complete environment is a massive, and daunting task. The key is breaking it up into little pieces, and it then becomes a similar exercise to what you've been doing.

Just find a nice concept, one you know you'll be happy to work on for a good while, and get to work. Block it all out with basic shapes, get a nice idea of scale, then get to work on the individual pieces. Keep it focused, work on one thing at a time and don't get caught up worrying about other things until you're happy with each separate bit.

It'll come together, and a full enviro always looks more appealing than individual assets.

As for the cloth sim, it's absolutely fine to use it when necessary, I mean, why even sculpt it if the cloth sim will save time and get it 'physically correct', but for simple drapes like on your market stall, there's just no reason to use it really.

Good luck, I'll look forward to seeing more!
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice man, after looking through some fairly creepy sites, I managed to find this set of images for an underground tunnel that I thought looked pretty cool, and actually fairly simple to accomplish, but i can add enough to make it look cool.

plansv.jpg

so yeah, not my only ref but just planned on this, sorry for the handwriting. But basically im going to use one brick tileable texture (already made) and modularly create the entire tunnel crossroads. I'm also going to be using decals to create painted details and things like that and vertex blending for the beige bigger brick. Blend two textures for the floor, but add grass alpha planes and more rubble to add some more interest and break it up a little.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot2ea.jpg

yoo so im still working on the scene, doing lots of sculpting, and i needed a break from it so i did this. I know its still just cubes but i saw a ref for it and it looked so cool so i had to do it, will make a scene for it eventually
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice job so far on the new prop for the environment. i have a few things to nitpick

the blocks that are near the top of the two pillars look a little random, might want to at least be consistant between the two sides.

there is a lot of repitition going on, i feel like rotating some of the hp blocks 90 degrees could fix this

the moss on the bass looks a little too consistant, i would save that for udk vertex blending if possible, you'll get a much nicer result

keep it up, im liking the progress so far
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Were you going for tiling textures for this most recent piece? Like Mike said everything looks really repetitive. I think its ok if their is repetition within the piece, but not obvious repetition..because then it becomes boring. Maybe add some black to the moss to simulate black mold since it seems wherever that stone is its probably somewhat wet.

Also maybe upload the reference, because with both ends blocked off..and its not enclosed, its open on top...its hard to read what it is, what's its function. Pathway? entrance to some underground hallway/bunker/basement? We the viewer can't decipher that just based off what you are showing us.

On a more professional note. When your commenting on someone who left you a message try not to say, "bro" right after you say Thank You. Just comes off a bit to casual. At least to me..I may be the only one who feels that way.