Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Opera - Hallway

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
looprix polycounter lvl 8
Hello Polycount! It's about time I joined this site. I would like to start presenting my work on these forums to receive critiques on my game environment creations. Currently, I am working on a Space Opera Environment. I started off small and created this decrepit hallway in UDK...

SciBarq_3-4Hall.jpg

SciBarq_crnDoor.jpg

SciBarq_Sidewall.jpg

Once I am happy with this hallway I want to move on to larger hangers in this style. Please let me know what I can to make this scene more interesting.
Thanks!

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    i love it. but to really make it look good, i advise you look into complex lighting. the eat3d tut is a great start... if you have the dough.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Lots of potential, it's just in the lighting and post processing to bring it up to par with the hardwork that's currently gone into it.

Good job.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    yea nice work, but like they said, work on the light, looks too flat right now

:thumbup:
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Yupe, I agree with everybody else about the lighting.. too flat, no high contrast areas, boring.

What sort of atmosphere are you aiming for with this scene?

Its a great start. I would suggest adding a couple more props to fill some empty space, some DOF fog, and I would also try changing some colors around. Right now all I can see is gray and yellow. Try playing around with different color pipes.

Keep working :)

edit; are you working from reference? Maybe post that as well.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    wow I really love the texture work and style, looks great. I agree with the above comments with regards to the lighting.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice work so far, I must say your texturing has a quality about it that almost makes the scenes look like concept art. I had to look over the images a few times, thats interesting am I the only one who notices that.
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your help you got me to see this space in a different light, ha literally. I played with the PP effects and love the quick results. I think I am on the right path. If in the near future I am not happy with the lighting I'll buy the eat3d tutorial.

I am aiming for a grungy broken Bioshock atmosphere. I have no reference except for napkin sketches ( I should prob get some). I want to add more props but not sure what to add that won't get in the way of the player path.

Also I Zbrushed some more details into the stamped metal and gave some wall assets yellow chipping paint for more contrast.

sci1.jpg

sci2.jpg

Anyone have any good sci-fi corridor ref that matches this mood?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking good for lighting and atmosphere, i would avoid using warm colours... you have alot of yellow in your textures, contrast against this with cool lighting from the blues you have to white with maybe a hint of turquoise

you could make that layer of fog blueish (very Alien)

ps re-do the door at the end...stcks out like a saw thumb

alien
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try and take your original lighting and change the orange and green lighting to blue and red.. try that and see what that gives you..
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I struggled with the door design, maybe I can take design cues from the columns and wall.