Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Opera - Hallway

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
looprix polycounter lvl 8
Hello Polycount! It's about time I joined this site. I would like to start presenting my work on these forums to receive critiques on my game environment creations. Currently, I am working on a Space Opera Environment. I started off small and created this decrepit hallway in UDK...

SciBarq_3-4Hall.jpg

SciBarq_crnDoor.jpg

SciBarq_Sidewall.jpg

Once I am happy with this hallway I want to move on to larger hangers in this style. Please let me know what I can to make this scene more interesting.
Thanks!

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i love it. but to really make it look good, i advise you look into complex lighting. the eat3d tut is a great start... if you have the dough.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Lots of potential, it's just in the lighting and post processing to bring it up to par with the hardwork that's currently gone into it.

Good job.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    yea nice work, but like they said, work on the light, looks too flat right now

:thumbup:
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Yupe, I agree with everybody else about the lighting.. too flat, no high contrast areas, boring.

What sort of atmosphere are you aiming for with this scene?

Its a great start. I would suggest adding a couple more props to fill some empty space, some DOF fog, and I would also try changing some colors around. Right now all I can see is gray and yellow. Try playing around with different color pipes.

Keep working :)

edit; are you working from reference? Maybe post that as well.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    wow I really love the texture work and style, looks great. I agree with the above comments with regards to the lighting.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice work so far, I must say your texturing has a quality about it that almost makes the scenes look like concept art. I had to look over the images a few times, thats interesting am I the only one who notices that.
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your help you got me to see this space in a different light, ha literally. I played with the PP effects and love the quick results. I think I am on the right path. If in the near future I am not happy with the lighting I'll buy the eat3d tutorial.

I am aiming for a grungy broken Bioshock atmosphere. I have no reference except for napkin sketches ( I should prob get some). I want to add more props but not sure what to add that won't get in the way of the player path.

Also I Zbrushed some more details into the stamped metal and gave some wall assets yellow chipping paint for more contrast.

sci1.jpg

sci2.jpg

Anyone have any good sci-fi corridor ref that matches this mood?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking good for lighting and atmosphere, i would avoid using warm colours... you have alot of yellow in your textures, contrast against this with cool lighting from the blues you have to white with maybe a hint of turquoise

you could make that layer of fog blueish (very Alien)

ps re-do the door at the end...stcks out like a saw thumb

alien
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try and take your original lighting and change the orange and green lighting to blue and red.. try that and see what that gives you..
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I struggled with the door design, maybe I can take design cues from the columns and wall.