Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Photojournalist

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
Starting a new project. I started this one as a sculpt and decided to keep going all the way to completed character, so I'm splitting this thread off from my Anatomy sketchbook.

The concept is kind of silly and really loose. Photojournalist abroad, somewhere hot and gross. Eventually she'll have a nice camera and some other things. Critiques and comments much appreciated.

Here are the current low-polys in Marmoset. I am challenging myself to use no photos for texturing, so everything is done in polypaint inside zbrush, or in photoshop.

fyaZJ.png
xEgEn.jpg

And the high-polys thusly in Zbrush:

heL3J.png
X0ZVs.jpg

Replies

• Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    very nice character and folds!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the combination of having a wide blocky nose, teeth showing, and ears sticking out gives her a "squirrely" face.

proportion wise she's spot on, but that particular combination of features just gives her a very animalistic appearance.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Few pointers:

- The nose looks odd, it looks like the nose of the blue creatures from avatar, which throws the face off quite a bit. The mouth also looks slightly off

- The chest is very narrow, it's most noticeable in the back view, look at the distance between her arm-pits, it's far too small

- Her arms look a bit long, and also are very chunky compared to the rest of her, you should probably slim down her bicep region

- the trouser creases look believable, so good work on that
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    the smallish chest has been mentioned already, and i must say that her face reminds me way too much of your last character (the hipster girl?) ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    cptSwing wrote: »
    and i must say that her face reminds me way too much of your last character (the hipster girl?) ;)

Agreed, would be nice to see you try a face that's completely different :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @Stromberg90 & Cptswing --

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware of the similarities before. My workflow to now has been starting with an unUVwrapped basemesh that I made awhile back, and a pair of blue eyes that is just a zbrush tool. When I finished this particular face I was more worried about it looking like the astronaut bust in my portfolio, but I figured with the broad, sinewy nose, the lips being apart, the cheekbones being wider, and the general features being sharper, that I would be okay. I made the hair black, but went back in an did it blond because I didn't like the color.

That said, looking at the hipster girl, I think you guys are right, it does seem a bit close. I started changing up some of the features based on a reference, and I will keep tweaking towards it as I go.

It's strange to see the similarities -- makes me wonder about how I go about my workflow, and how I can develop my eye to differentiate things a bit. Something to work on in my anatomy thread, more, different, faces. I might try some ethnicity studies.

Thanks for the valuable crits. Here is where I am with the face.

1ibnF.jpg

@ Mr_Ace & almighty_gir

Thanks you guys. I widened out the chest but kept the shoulder width, and measured up the arms -- you were right, a touch too long. I also softened the facial features and narrowed the nose, and did some face work based on other crits.

Widened the chest, but kept the shoulder width,
    tICZH.png
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great especially with the changes made so far. The upper back still looks too narrow though. This might help:

anffv3a-1-3scale_003.png
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @ rion -- thank you, that reference is helpful.

Had some free time, so I made up her camera bag. The shoulder strap connects from the D ring to the right side clip. Rendered in Marmoset.

wv6ae.jpg
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Shoulders should be in line with the widest part of the hips, that might help with the narrow issue seen at the back.
  • OMGiFARTED
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the folds right near the left clip of the bag look a little weird to me. Maybe smooth them out a little and make them less subtle. Other than that, looks good, both your character and her bag
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    couple of "rule of thumb" things...

1. the clavicals (collar bones) should curve up and back.
    2. the clavicals top most point (top middle of the shoulder) should be the same width as the widest part of the hips.
    3. the belly button is in line with the top of the illiac crest, and therefor the widest part of the hips.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    This character is looking awesome. She does look a bit like the spacewoman, something I found in my own work when doing characters is if they arent based roughly of of someone they tend to look a little too similar. Try to find an actress of model that you can loosely base your characters off of. That way you can get the major features of the reference while still giving it your own personal touch to make a totally new character. :)

Edit: your bag looks awesome by the way :D
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    the corners of the mouth need pulling in, here's a liquify:

cSH3p.gif
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thank you everyone for the feedback, helped me strengthen the piece. Here is a modified face (not there yet), and the body with suggestions.

I think the arms might be a tad short here.

W2BdR.jpg

pNob7.png
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i've just formatted my machine and haven't installed photoshop yet, but give me an hour or so and i'll try to do a quick paintover for you. this is going to be a great piece when it's done man, the hair is a great addition.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    She looks so sad :/
    Still think she looks to much like the hipster girl, do something new with this one at least try changing the hair color :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Okay, worked through some parts, including my jab at the hair. Alpha in marmoset is a bitch.

Worked on the face and anatomy as well.

XdGkc.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    haha, in that side view she reminds me of Robin from How I Met Your Mother...
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Great stuff. Love the settle grunge you have going on. Have you started with your spec and gloss yet? The textures feels kinda flat at the moment. What about taking her into CE3? The opacity is really great for hair and what not. They got the fancy SSSSS to, for the skin.
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like how she looks like an actual woman and not a super hot fantasy girl, especially with the dirty clothes and grime. I agree with sltrOlsson that the textures look a bit flat, might have something to do with the lighting which kinda washes everything out a bit?

Also the bottom of the tanktop in those last shots seems to be resting a bit oddly on her jeans almost as if the two parts are made for different sets of hips.

Anyhow, looking good cant wait to see more!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks everyone. Updates. Did a minor pose just to fit her with the bag. Looking at it now, the bag is too clean, since she's so dirty, so I will add some grime to it. I added a skintone map and a specular map, which help with the flatness, since all it was before was a diffuse and a normal.

As Hofsta suggested I cinched the shirt in to fit her hips.

baHLG.jpg
    q1uL8.jpg
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice!
    Looks a lot better now with the updates to her face :)
    Cool looking bag.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting there. I think that the light you are using is to overblown. Is it "Sunlight"? Maybe try out "Pavement"? The bag lacks some material definition besides the grunge. You got any ref for the material on it? I also think that you should push your colors in her face. I realize that you maybe don't want to put that much makeup on her, but just something more to push it further. Some more contrast maybe?

I'm not a character artist so I'm not that good that this kinda things, but your sculpts and the overall feel is just superb in my book, you just need to really push it to get there.
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    haha, in that side view she reminds me of Robin from How I Met Your Mother...
    +1

Ya shes looks solid so far, love the bag, keep rolling!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Pushed the textures on the face, although I'm not perfectly happy with it, so I might go back and re polypaint it in zbrush, try a different skin technique, not so much smoothing.

Also worked on her camera a bit, it's a really complicated piece of equipment, hard to model, but I'm enjoying working in hardedge stuff again for a bit.

qTLiE.jpg
    IUZ62.png
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    More work on the camera. Getting there. So damn complicated.

nM1Ys.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i love that she looks not idealized but rather who you could see down the street or in the office. good stuff will follow. good luck!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. Love the water bottle on the side of the bag.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thank you mats and Garriola both.

Camera update, put in as much time as I had this morning.

rU1bv.png
  • johnicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T^his has really come together since the last time I looked at this thread. :)

I was just thinking I would suggest a camera when I saw the posts on the second page, haha. Maybe a pair of sunglasses, on top of her head? I think it would fit with her outfit.

What are you using for reference for the camera? Seems like you're doing a good job with it, but just curious!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good progress. I guess you'r modeling the camera from our own head? If she's a photo journalist, should would have something much more "pro". The one your are modeling is so compact. I think it looks good, but is it the right kind of camera?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @johnicus, thank you, I think it's looking better because people give great help.

@SltrOlsson -- Actually it is a fairly pro camera, around 4K before the lens. Well, the newest version of it is anyways -- the Nikon d800. I'm modeling mine based on the whole Dxxx line, just choosing elements that I think will bake well and that I know I can optimize polywise -- these cameras are ridiculously complicated, both organic and hardedge, but I'm enjoying the challenge. It's kind of embarrasing to admit that I'm not following one model super strict -- I see how people treat gun-modelers around here, arguing (and knowing by heart) the locations of each screw the way an anatomy expert would (I'm saying I know people take this stuff seriously, and I applaud them for that kind of skill and patience). So if there are camera nuts around here, feel free to chew me out, but just, in my defense, know that my aim was a nice character, and not a super accurate camera.

I did a quick bake of what I have so far to see what kind of problems I'm getting. It only took about ten minutes from my pre-subdiv mesh, so neither the UV's nor the mesh are optimized, I just wanted to see if I had any major errors yet -- I do see a bunch, so I'm glad I did it.

Tomorrow I will keep cracking on the camera. Hopefully I can get ready to be textured in the next few days.

spAVx.jpg
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In terms of chewing out, I think it's easy enough to include the rest of the parts of a camera is a texture, but it definitely won't look as nice a bake. Currently, the camera looks a bit like a base. I would at least aim for af/stabilize buttons (the slide ones on the lens), grips where the lens rotates (and is held), and a button on the front of the camera to the right to activate a release lens mechanism. Anything else like the flash or the port cover, I don't think anyone would mind. I would really isolate the lens itself and give it a once over for a nice silhouette building/normal map only features. You could even float lens buttons over the mesh if they're bended properly.

Of course it's a bit hard to imagine the composition if you've never dealt with cameras before, I feel the same way about guns.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    The only thing I really wanted to mention after looking at this, is that I'd like to see some more variation in your characters. Especially the faces. I saw this and immediately thought, "Didn't someone do a hipster girl awhile back that was pretty much like this?" And then I saw it in your own post history and in your portfolio. And I looked at this face, and it looks really very similar to the helmet girl you've got on your portfolio website.

Nothing wrong about it, looking good. But it'd be nice to see something other than "This surprisingly normal girl somewhere in her 20s," in the future. You were trying some different, cool stuff in your anatomy thread. I thought it odd that you then took the one most similar to something you've already done and went to work more on that.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @Moosey -- I'm definitely not done modeling the camera yet, I just haven't done any hard edge modeling/baking in a couple months and wanted to make sure that I was doing things right, so that they'd bake out correctly (seams, edges, cylinders etc.). I still have a good number of buttons, covers and seams to add, and a couple of modifications made into the main body itself. Also the lens is pretty much stand-in, since I am going to go with something a bit longer, to give the camera more weight and heft.

@ Two Listen -- Im going to work on something else entirely different next time, to add some variation to my portfolio, and I understand the concern that she looks like both the other female faces in my portfolio. I think that's just a part of my workflow that I'm going to have to figure out, perhaps more, specific, references are in order when I get started on a piece from now on -- so thank you for the feedback.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    More fun camera updates. Got though most of the bake and began working up what are very early textures right now. Most of my work has been in the diffuse, so I'm going to transfer to working and pushing the spec soon.

Crits and comments appreciated.

ttWE0.jpg
    WKfqG.png

EDIT: Updated image instead of thread.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    The end is in sight, at least for the camera. Still have stuff left to do, but nearing the end.

Nttbm.png
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great! I think you should add a battery grip, chances are she would use them :)
    Maybe even model one more camera and add a telephoto lense she would also carry around in case she needed the extra zoom:
    camera-battery-grip.jpg
    BlackRapid_DR_1_double_strap1.jpg

Would also add some cool stuff to the silhoutte :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Oh, nice reference. I actually kitted the lens and made it its own model/texture, so I can make and swap out more lenses as I want, a telephoto lens is a good idea, and I like the shape of the thing on the one in your ref.

I also really like his harness. I might have to consider that, as I'm trying to figure out how to make her shoulders more interesting than simple spaghetti straps and skin.

Thanks for the input Zpanzer, much appreciated.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    awesome camera :)
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Nice this is really coming along great :D
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think you should at least texture in the mirror and inner workings a bit, and the lens-attachment-ring. Right now the body looks mega weird and you never know if they end up having her switching lenses in the hypothetical game.

nikon_d700_body%20banner.JPG

I think you're also missing the red detail near the shutterbutton, but I couldn't find anything when googling for the nikon D550, just the D300 and D700.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks Snader, you make a good point. I made up some normals and a texture just in photoshop and comped them in. That mirror thing is actually a filter, which itself is transparent and very complicated, and shows off the interior of the camera, so I went with something simple instead.

pJIlg.png
    iEY8b.png
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should make the lins into a made up pro lens. Just make it white and ad a red stripe on it :) Or well, I just saw that it's Canon who does that. Well, since it's made up, maby it works. I think that I would make it look more special.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    i really like how it's coming along. The camera has really gotten better, but i'd push it more as it will be a focus point for the character.

The battery grip was a good suggestion, I'm a bit into photography and i really couldn't imagine going around for long shooting sessions without the extra juice from the battery or the comfort of handling it with the bottom grip.

For the lens it looks like you modeled it after a 18-55mm lens and i don't think it'll fit the kind of shooting need she's gonna have.
    I'd say depending on the subject she'd need a medium-long range focal lenght lens, I mean she doesn't look like she's shooting for cats expos right? xD

Also yep that's canon who does white painted lenses; It's because they warm up less under sunlight than black painted ones. The red line around it mark it as an L series lens, meaning the pro-oriented ones. Nikon's lenses tho don't have any particular differences in aspect from consumers i think

EDIT: an other addition could really be a flash mount... maybe with a remote flash unit, and also a tripod/monopod attached to the bag
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Great character, and the camera's looking beautiful. Going back to the anatomy though, the knees look like they need to be raised up a bit (although it may look different once you've added feet)
    ysalexphotojournalist.gif

Perhaps take another look at the arms too (especially the deltoid/biceps intersection) and as was mentioned earlier, the clavicles.
    I also think the angle of the rib cage implied by the posture is kind of at odds with the lack of interplay between angles at the front of the torso (ribcage/abdomen/hips). I hope this makes sense!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @Benji -- thank you, and I like your paintover. Her pants go down to the bottom of her ankle, so I don't think the distortion is coming from the lack of feet, so I think your paintover is spot on. Thank you very much for that.

@FniTrox -- I agree that the battery pack is a good idea, and you have a ton of good information here about the camera and lenses that, frankly, I hadn't gleaned from my very basic research. The lense is, supposedly, a 40-120 MM (I think I have that right), but I am also going to do a telephoto lens. A white one would be very nice I think. I'm not sure about the tripod, I will have to think about that. It could look cool, afixed to the front of her bag horizontally.

At any rate, I continued working on parts of her today. Here is the camera strap for the camera. It's missing the actual connecting parts so far, working on those now.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Lots of great suggestions and really appreciated.

7aYyB.png
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    great work! i really dig your realistic style.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @Aga22 -- thank you.

I just kinda tossed everything into marmoset to try and figure out a composition. I think I will do one image where she is posed looking through the camera, and another where she is posed more like this.

The feet and shoes aren't textured yet.

8zda2.jpg
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming alone very nicely! I have to say though, the shoes seem a bit odd for such rigorous outdoor work.